文プロ(Bunpro): オノマトペ Deck - April 8th, 2024 - Japanese Grammar and Vocab SRS

Will you be drastically increasing the number of questions/sentences per grammar point now? I find myself memorizing sentences too easily at times, rather than solidifying the grammar.

4 Likes

We will be adding more to N1 to bring them up to 12 and after that our aim is to take all the grammar on the site to 20 example sentences. :smiley:

18 Likes

A bit of a weird question, but what’s the average number of “times studied” for most points?

1 Like

Took a look and the average number of “times studied” is 10, which includes both correct and incorrect attempts.

4 Likes

Oooh, thanks! And I’m really bad… like, really bad then… :man_facepalming:

3 Likes

You will also be adding “beyond JLPT” grammar, right?

4 Likes

Yep! We will be doing slang, dialects and probably dabble in some classical Japanese grammar!

11 Likes

With this update, we have made a big change to how you can study with Bunpro. Grammar points and example sentences now have an element of interactability, connecting them to other grammar points, helping you build a stronger mental map of how everything fits together.

Grammar Structure

Polite/Casual Toggle

The majority of all grammar now have a casual/polite toggle option (when applicable). Casual is shown by default (as this is the most common form used in actual conversation and media). While not a big change, we believe it helps clean up the structure section, making it more readable and will also help increase your exposure to the grammar pattern’s polite form.

Consistency

We have adjusted the way certain conjugations, word types and optional/substitutable structures are displayed. This is mainly a consistency change but also ties into the next change. Instead of overloading you with many different options, we have opted for using a superscript to show all other possible choices.

Grammar Popout

Each building block of grammar in the structure section is now clickable (you can hover to see which ones). in the following image, こと is activated.

Clicking any one will display the relevant grammar quick view popout. This will give you some core information and a link to that grammar point to quickly see more information.

We believe this will help facilitate a deeper understanding of how grammar builds into other grammar.

The grammar popout when clicking on こと in ことができます

In this instance if you didn’t know why ことis used with a verb and not a noun when expressing an ability to do something, you could click on こと to see that when combined with a verb it converts it into a noun. This is a small step toward showing you how word types change in Japanese, depending on their usage. This approach is aimed toward getting you used to seeing specific changes, without ever needing to formally learn it.

Example Sentences

Grammar Popout
The grammar popout that is available for the structure sections is now also available in example sentences and also during review quizzes.

Our goal here is to make it easier to find the information you need, helping to keep you in your learning flow as much as possible by removing the need to open a new tab and look up the grammar you don’t recognize.

Grammar building blocks within the structure section of the grammar popout can be clicked.

Give it a try! ことができる

Note: This is currently only available for N5 but we will be working on adding it to the rest of the levels in the near future. Feedback would definitely be appreciated, as we are trying to find the most efficient way to highlight certain grammar points, without overloading you with information.

Reading Passages

Reading Passages now have a checkmark to help you visualize which lessons you have completed all of the readings for.

Header

The header has been reverted to more closely match the old header with your username and level progress more easily visible.

As always, we would love to hear any feedback or suggestions you have about these changes.

20 Likes

this was happening to me when using shirimono, then I quit using it.

I havent started bunpro but I am afraid to start it and get to the same point and not make me understand the grammar why is being used taht certain way but only because I memorized the answer :frowning:

It doesn’t seem to happen for me. Of course, you should think about what grammar to use and not actively try to remember the example sentence. But Bunpro has about a dozen or so example sentences per grammar point, so that should also help against that.
Also, on a lot of grammar points, it tells you exactly how and in which combinations a point can be used.

1 Like

I just want to second/support what Saimin said, this also has been my experience. Moreover, personally, I use Bunpro to practice the grammar I learn from textbooks not to learn the grammar. I also try read 日本語文型辞典 英語版 ―A Handbook of Japanese Grammar Patterns for Teachers and Learners for every new grammar point I learn.

4 Likes

N1 Lesson L4

どうにも - cannot, there is no way one can, nothing one can do, cannot possibly not by any means, cannot do no matter how hard one tries, nothing will come out, it is meaningless to
ことだし - (and) so, because, since

N1 Lesson L5

ぐるみで - whole, -wide, across the, entire, all of, with … altogether
そばから - as soon as, right after, even if … still

We plan to continue to periodically add a mix of lower level grammar and a few less common upper level grammar points that were either missed or were deemed lower priority. Happy studying!

10 Likes

So are there plans to close the gaps in the paths? For example, both the Tobira the IAIJ paths have missing grammar points in almost every chapter.

2 Likes

New N2 Reading

In total there are 30 new reading passages (3 per level) that are a good mix of conversations and longer articles covering a variety of topics.

With N2 grammar and vocab, the reading passages have both increased in difficulty and complexity. We hope you like them and find them both challenge and rewarding!

Reading Passages Link

As always we would love to hear any feedback you have on this, or other new content we are constantly adding to Bunpro!

9 Likes

Hi Everybody!

In the past, it has not been often that we’ve been able to incorporate major changes into the website. A few grammar points here, a little tweak of the UI there. However, as we are sure that you all have noticed, the team has expanded this year, allowing us to take on some pretty large projects (many of them still to come).

We would like to take this opportunity to introduce our first major leap into becoming a more ‘consolidated’ source of Japanese learning.

:partying_face: Bunpro’s very own grammar explanations :partying_face:

The team has recently been working on all of the N5 grammar, preparing explanations for them that fit our philosophy of simplifying Japanese grammar and making it more bite sized. We think these writeups will give people a much firmer understanding of the different grammar structures. Here is a breakdown of our approach in the writeups:

• Sources
    As much as possible, we used Japanese textbooks (directed at Japanese natives) to form the backbone of our explanations. We then combined that with our knowledge, along with a few of the tried and tested explanations from other sources. All in all, we wanted to create something that was unique, accurate, but most importantly, easy to understand.

• Example Sentences
    We have example sentences for every grammar explanation, covering many of the different nuances that you are likely to see with each structure. These were all written by @Fuga :bowing_man: and are unique from the examples in the example section.

• Cautions
    Many grammar points have caution sections, with extra information about things that can be difficult to grasp initially. The caution also sometimes includes good examples of things to avoid when writing or speaking.

• Fun-facts
    Many grammar points have interesting facts relating to their history, use, or even grammatical validity. We decided to include these (where appropriate) in order to introduce some of the lesser known, but very interesting points about the grammar.

• Grammar Highlighting
    Like with our example sentences, we have also wrapped many of the structures within the writeups themselves. Our thinking behind this is that we wanted to give you every opportunity possible to jog your memory on certain things, without being too distracted from what you are reading. In a traditional textbook, when you are introduced to new words, or something that you learned a long time ago (but unfortunately forgot) is mentioned, it can turn the whole explanation into something that is hard to follow. :door: Enter grammar wrapping :door:. We have eliminated this problem by wrapping everything possible, so that you are able to click on any unfamiliar (new or old) words, to very quickly jump-start your memory, without taking your focus away from the new grammar that you are learning.

Why?

At Bunpro, we have some of the most enthusiastic people about Japanese on our team. Enthusiastic as teachers of the language, but equally as enthusiastic as learners of the language themselves! We think that one of the most important things when learning anything, is that the people that are guiding your progress are equally as excited as you are. We hope that some of this positivity/interest shines through in our explanations!

Traditionally, the western focus on teaching Japanese has been with ‘giving an English equivalent’. While we still do this, we have also attempted to give ‘direct translations’, or ‘literal meanings’ as often as possible. Our goal here is to (very slowly) teach you how to understand grammar purely from the Japanese perspective, so that you can make better mental connections between similar grammar points.

What happens now?

We are aiming to do this for all of N5, N4, N3, N2, and N1, and will release each N-level as soon as we can after the previous one (without sacrificing any quality for speed).

These initial writeups are part 1 of a 3-part system that we hope to introduce in the near future. These first explanations are what we would like to call Bun-know. Here is how it will work.

:books: Part 1 : Bun-know
These explanations will include everything that you need in order to use the grammar point effectively, from day 1. They will be the ‘bread and butter’ foundation knowledge (with a few extra ingredients thrown in just to keep it interesting!).

:muscle: Part 2 : Bun-grow
These explanations will introduce finer nuanced information about each grammar point, and also compare similar grammar structures. Comparing nuance differences is a great way to help solidify meanings/when to use things. So we will focus on this in Bun-grow, to increase your confidence with each point.

:ocean: Part 3 : Bun-flow
This final stage of content development will focus on the extremely fine detail things. Conceptual information, historical information, and lots of other things that you will want to come back to and examine again as an advanced learner.

Last but not least!

:spiral_notepad: We have majorly reordered the learning order of N5! :spiral_notepad:

When rearranging, our goal was to have everything in the most logical order possible, while thinking equally about the new grammar explanations, and also when you simply ‘need’ certain grammar points to make natural sentences. :man_scientist:

Let’s take a look at the reordering, and the goal of each lesson in N5!

Lesson 1 (things that are crucial to make a natural -interesting- sentence)

だ、です、は、も、これ、それ、あれ、の、いい、いadj、なADJ、か (question)

Lesson 2 (things that are necessary to use basic types of verbs)

が、よ、ね、るverbs、うverbs 、を、るverbs neg、うverbs neg、と (and)、ここ、そこ、あそこ

Lesson 3 (remaining particles needed in their basic uses)

で(at in)、に、か (or)、と (with)、でしょう、だろう、がある、がいる、この、その、あの、んです、Past いAdj

Lesson 4 (different verb forms that will make use of the particles just taught)

の (nominalizer)、いadj + noun、なadj + noun、へいく、する、くる、る-verb past、う-verb past、好き、きらい、のがすき、がある+ Noun、Negative いAdj

Lesson 5 (basic sentence linking structures て)

で (by)、ので (since)、から (because)、から (from)、が (but)、けど (but)、う-verb neg past、る-verb neg past、Verb-て、ている 1、へ、Verb + にいく、Verb Non-past

Lesson 6 (filling in the knowledge gaps of the basics)

だれ、いadj predicate、なadj predicate、だった、じゃない、じゃなかった、いadj neg past、と (quotation)、って、Verb た (verb modified noun)、の (pronoun one)、な

Lesson 7 (slightly more advanced linking and identification phrases)

だけ、どれ、どこ、どの、ている 2、てから、Verb て (sequence)、もう、まだ、まだ~ていない、てもいい、たい、たり~たりする

Lesson 8 (Identifying amounts and locations)

けっこう、たくさん、まえに、くらい、N+まで、V+まで、すぎる、にする、になる、の中で~が一番、より~のほうが、なにか、誰か

Lesson 9 (suggesting and requesting)

ましょう、ましょうか、ませんか、Verb てもいい、てください、ないでください、てはいけない、なくてはいけない、なくてはならない、たほうがいい、ないほうがいい、なくちゃ、や

Lesson 10 (giving, receiving, and describing experiences)

たことがある、ている 3、Adjective and Noun て、Adjective て conjunctive、のがへた、のがじょうず、Adjective + の(は)、あげる、くれる、もらう、けれども、つもりだ

We really hope that you guys love this addition to Bunpro, and that it builds your confidence in us as a learning resource. As always, we would love to hear any and all feedback, and hope that you all have an absolutely rockin’ day!

25 Likes

This expansion makes me much more interested in the srs for sure.

Are grammar explanations for n5 already uploaded, or are they being worked on still?

2 Likes

Explanations for N5 are already live :smiley:
N4 will be a long in the near future and N3+ there after.

10 Likes

Thanks, very promising.
Do you intend to do some Japanese explanation in the feature, to be able to learn in a J-J fashion?

1 Like

Intruding a bit but JP books and websites work well for that

Bunpro has re-ignited my hope for learning Japanese since textbook learning can be hard for me. Thank you so much. And your subscriptions are really affordable. :slight_smile:

3 Likes