文プロ(Bunpro): オノマトペ Deck - April 8th, 2024 - Japanese Grammar and Vocab SRS

Could be good once it’s built up, but definitely needs some issues sorted out… For example.

4 Likes

This looks awesome! Can’t wait to give it a try. :grinning:

4 Likes

@tmahrt Thanks for trying it out! We’ve had a few people say that it acts funky in firefox. We are looking into the issue and hope to have it resolved as soon as possible. Thank you for your feedback.

@phurry Let us know what you think! Thanks for stopping by.

@Angelic Thank you for signing up. We hope that you enjoy the experience.

@krysinello Thank you for trying out our site and good find! There are definitely still some kinks that need ironed out. With your help we can catch them all. Thank you for posting your findings.

@MintyKanji Awesome! We hope that you like it. Let us know if you have any suggestions or feedback. Cheers

3 Likes

Fantastic! I’m gonna check it out when I’m back home this afternoon. Thank you!

2 Likes

New user observations:

1. I expected the arrow icons to move through the tabs on the current lesson, not move to the next lesson.
  2. Since there’s a checkbox next to every lesson in the lessons view, I expected to be able to check off a bunch of lessons to narrow down what I want to study, so I can skip things I already know. Instead, the checkbox is just to show that you’ve cleared a lesson. Why not hide it until the lesson is cleared?
  3. I didn’t understand that I have to check off the links to external lessons before I’ve “studied” the lesson. I had to go back to the help screen. Maybe walk new users through the lesson study steps from inside their first lesson with tethered popups or something like that?

That said, this is a great start.

2 Likes

would be great if it showed how much time is left until the soonest review instead of me having to look through the review time for each and every grammar topic i’ve learned to see when i should come back

2 Likes

I still haven’t tried it yet, but I noticed a lot of the images people posted have furigana. Do you have any plans to optionally take a WaniKani API key to not show furigana on known kanji?

5 Likes

@DIEnosaurKyo Thank you! Let us know what you think and if you have any feedback or suggestions we would love to hear about them.

@sirvine A lesson is divided up by grammar points, not by a grammar point’s Meaning, Example Sentences and Links. Therefore when you click the arrow or tap the arrow key on your keyboard it goes to the next grammar point within a lesson. We took a similar approach to Bunpro that WK did, where you start from the bottom and move up without skipping levels. However, we found that giving people the freedom to choose what they study was also important so we made all the grammar points for each JLPT level accessible. It is up to you to study what you wish. There is a tutorial that walks you through each step of Bunpro on the landing page, however we are working on adding popups to guide new users through the first level or so. Thank you for your feedback.

@softseal That’s a great suggestion! Thank you for your feedback.

@seanblue We are looking forward to hearing what you think! We are working on user settings that will allow you to customize how you do your reviews. The options that we currently plan to implement include a toggle for furigana and a toggle for having the English sentences on or off. Let us know if you have anymore suggestions or feedback.

2 Likes

Wow, that sounds great. Will definitely check it out. Thanks for all the effort!

2 Likes

Seems pretty handful. Gonna try it ASAP.

2 Likes

Here a couple thoughts I had from poking around a little bit!

I keep WaniKani and KaniWani eternally open as my left two tabs in chrome, and they both have a unique favicon with their name as the first part of the page name, so they’re very easy to spot. Right now, the homepage has no favicon, and either my username or the name of the page as the first part of the page name, which makes it difficult to pick out. If you set up a favicon and set up all the page names to start with “文プロ” it’d be a lit easier to pick the site out from my sea of Chrome tabs!

I went through the level 1 lessons, and noticed that for いい, there is a review for the normal usage, but not any of the conjugations. I’ve done pretty much zero conjugation studying, so it’d be a lot of help for me if you include sentences with different conjugations.

4 Likes

This is pretty awesome, I look forward to N4-N1 sections. :smiley:

2 Likes

I do believe that the arrows should switch between tabs and not between grammar points. This will be a lot more intuitive when you’re all set for mobile.
The point about taking the WK API to hide furigana is a solid one. Satori Reader does this and does it well.
Someone did mentioned the visual style, and I do concur that a flat design with no gradients and transparency would be more suitable (in my eyes).

Thanks for all the great work!

6 Likes

This is exactly what I’ve been looking for! Can’t wait to try this out!

2 Likes

look really good, I know nothing about grammar. Because, well… the free and good material are like text book, and I am not the kind if person who enjoy reading, specialy if there is just text and no illustration, sound stupid but that make things sooo boring to me. Thats whay I love Tofugu and Wanikani, but Textfugu? no thanks.

2 Likes

I’ve had a play :star_struck:

Like many, I’ve needed a simple way to keep track of grammar I know and grammar I need to do more work on, this seems like it will do the trick nicely. More sample sentences will be awesome when you get a mo.

I’m drowning in Japanese learning tools - but I wanted something like this for grammar for so long. I’m going to use it as one of my daily tools, see how I get on.

Cheers!

2 Likes

I’m totally with you. Sites with no favicon (did not know that’s what it was called until five seconds ago) are one of my absolute pet peeves. If I load a new site and it doesn’t have one, I always feel like: oh, this seems a bit budget.

Also, sites with no favicon absolutely do not go anywhere near my bookmarks bar.

2 Likes

This is awesome!

Would it be possible to make it to where you can choose whether or not you want the translations of the sentences in the examples (and elsewhere where translations are given) to appear automatically? These first few lessons will be good review for me so I still want to do them, but I’d like to read the sentences and come up with my own translation before seeing the given translation. Obviously this probably isn’t ideal for absolute beginners which is why I suggest giving the option.

Thank you for making this! It seems like a great tool so far!

3 Likes

Just one thing, looking through the examples there’s a phrase with “あなた” for you, and my Japanese teacher (who is Japanese) made it very clear during our first class that people do not ever use that in everyday talk. So that kind of bothers me.

1 Like

I feel so confused about this. I’ve also heard about あなた not being used, but it also appears everywhere… I’ve seen it on so many learning resources and example phrases everywhere. I guess I have some googling to do…

1 Like