文プロ(Bunpro): オノマトペ Deck - April 8th, 2024 - Japanese Grammar and Vocab SRS

Hi, I noticed that Bunpro is quite slow… At least on Safari - both mobile (on iPhone) and on Desktop (iMac).
Sometimes it just interrupts loading the page and I need to close and open again. Realized that with the lessons in particular.
I don’t have any scripts running.

Every other web page loads fast as usual - Bunpro is the only one where I notice problems. I also checked the connection on my end, there is no issue. I got a 100 MBits at home.

@esutasan Hey! I apologize for the inconvenience. We think that we know what is causing issues on Safari and are working on a fix! Thank you for your patience. Cheers!

3 Likes

I’m currently trying Bunpro, I think I should take the Bunpro default path since it says that the sentences are built on top of each other(?)…if I got that right It will help me with the reviews, but now I don’t know which grammar source will complement it better.

Say I want to go with the default path but then the grammar source I select might have its own structure so I could be reading something for what I haven’t built its basics. Should I just google my way through it or is there a grammar source with the same structure as Bunpro?

You can always use the Dictionary of Japanese Grammar series or any of the links it gives. They may use a grammar point or two in the examples that you won’t have seen, but that is okay. The ordering stops mattering too much after getting to N5/N4 anyways.

3 Likes

It seems the first grammar source is picked carefully so that we don’t feel like we did some kind of jump, I’m just gonna keep exploring and seeing what seems to sit best for me after having more experience with the site, any advice it’s welcomed :relaxed:

1 Like

I did a quick glance, the first five levels of N5 and the grammar points for Genki1, Minna and TK essentially cover very similar ground; probably because it’s so fundamental. Did you have questions regarding one of these specific sources compared to default? I’m sure someone could comment on their experience with a particular book (here or the BP board)

2 Likes

I was worried that the default path could not be well joined with the provided grammar lessons, but it seems it does, for now, I’ll try to do the first 2 grammar points for each lesson and read a bit of the FAQ to better understand the platform

2 Likes

Update! - October 19, 2020

The second batch of N1, Lesson 3 is here!

が最後 - once, now that, as soon as

いかなる - what kind of, no matter what kind of, no … (with a negative verb); any… (with a negative verb)

なりに・なりの - in ones/its own way, of someone’s own, do ones best in one’s own way, as much as one can

Verb[passive] + ままに - do as (one is told/ordered…), in accordance with, in compliance with, just like

にまつわる - surrounding, related/relating to, associated with, connected to

Improved Search

We are expanding upon Bunpro’s search functionality by incorporating searchable keywords like "formal,"¹ “polite,” “colloquial,” “particle,” etc. We hope that as we increase the number of these keywords you will not only be able to find exactly what you are looking for more quickly but also be able to categorize your searches.

Starting today, you will also be able to search for grammar points without a Japanese keyboard or IME.²

¹Also try “硬”
²Currently, N5, N4, and N3 are searchable via rōmaji. N2 and N1 are coming soon.

Edit - October 21, 2020: Added N4 to rōmaji search.
Edit - October 27, 2020: Added N3 to rōmaji search.

Try these newly searchable keywords:

Formal or 硬

Particle

Demonstrative

Colloquial

Polite

Casual

Masculine

Feminine

Conditional

Hypothetical

Counters

Emphasis

Cheers!

25 Likes

Update! - October 28, 2020

@Asher and Haruna have recorded, edited, and uploaded over 1100 new N2 sentences from てこそ to と考えられる.

These sentences are now available on Bunpro and you can download them from Google Drive.

Thanks again to Asher and Haruna for all of their hard work!

Additional Announcement

We have added N3 to rōmaji search. The ability to search for N2 and N1 material via
rōmaji will be made available in the next few days.

We have also added a number of “keywords” that you can use to search for specific terms associated with grammar points.

Searchable Keywords

Formal or 硬

Particle

Demonstrative

Colloquial

Polite

Casual

Masculine

Feminine

Conditional

Hypothetical

Counters

Emphasis

If you have some suggestions for keywords to add to Bunpro, please let us know!

Cheers!

17 Likes

If i buy the Genki I 3th edition (kindle version), will i be able to use the Genki path without any problems?
Im asking because i notice that it says 2nd edition on Bunpro.

I love bunpro btw!

1 Like

@Edzin Thank you for your inquiry. While we do not have a copy of the third edition on hand, according to this PDF released by the Japan Times, the overall structure of the third edition will remain unchanged from the second. The main changes are the vocabulary used (more current/modern vocabulary found in the dialogs and word lists), grammar explanations, and practice materials. Therefore, you should have no trouble following along the Genki Path on Bunpro with the third edition. Cheers!

3 Likes

Oh i see, should be fine then.
Oh, and another question, do you guys have any plans to put Japanese From Zero order on the lessons as well?
Thx so much!

2 Likes

@Edzin Japanese From Zero is on the list of Paths to add. Once we have added some more N1 material, updated the audio on the site, and improved upon overall performance, we will start adding more Paths. Cheers!

6 Likes

Update! - November 19, 2020

The third batch of N1, Lesson 3 is here!

たる(に) - to be (in a position of), as a, for

(の)なら〜で - if ~ should, before ~ should

をものともせず(に) - making nothing of, ignoring, in defiance of, regardless of, disregarding

にはたらない - no need to, cannot, not worth it to, not suitable

ものと - think that, believe that, expect that, have confidence that, absolutely

Cheers, and stay safe!

20 Likes

Nice! Thanks!

1 Like

Update! - December 4, 2020

The fourth and final batch of N1, Lesson 3 is here!

まえて - based on, considering, keeping in mind, taking into account, therefore

ゆえ - because, the reason is, due to, therefore, so

Noun1 + という + Noun1 - every single, each and every, emphasis, everything that could be called

にとどまらず - not limited to, not only…but also, not stopping at

おもいきや - thought…but, when…thought that…but, despite having thought…

Cheers, and stay safe!

17 Likes

Ohhhh my god so nice to see these grammar points, I’ve been having trouble with a couple of them :heart_eyes: :partying_face:

11 Likes

png

I see you :eyes:

11 Likes

Update! - December 14, 2020

The first batch of N1, Lesson 4 is here!

いな - whether or not

たら〜で - even if, if

べくして - as expected, meant to, supposed to, destined to, sure to

まま(に) - as (one likes/feels/pleases), spur of the moment, wherever one fancies, spontaneously, on a whim

かれ〜かれ - or, either or

Cheers!

18 Likes

Update! - December 17, 2020

Lifetime Sale

• Starting today, December 17th, lifetime subscriptions are on sale for $120 (normally $150). If you are already a subscriber, your current subscription will be prorated for any unused time. The sale ends on January 7th, 2021.

Bunpro’s year in review:

・Added over 60 new grammar points, including 45 new N1 grammar points.

Uploaded over 4000 new audio recordings for N3 and N2 grammar points. - Thank you @Asher and Haruna! :bowing_man:

Introduced two new textbook Paths: Tae Kim and An Integrated Approach to Intermediate Japanese.

Expanded Bunpro’s search functionality by incorporating keywords and allowing grammar points search using romaji.

・Updated the UI/UX to improve readability and make reviewing more intuitive.

・Upgraded Wanikani integration with Wanikani API version 2.

Happy Holidays and Happy Studying!

16 Likes