文プロ(Bunpro): Profile Sharing - Feb 1st, 2024 - Japanese SRS Study Site

Just want to say how much I’ve enjoyed 文プロ so far ^___^ I started using it last week and I’ve been slowly reviewing N5/N4 stuff after not studying at all for years. I like how digestible it is, and that it offers reading passages from a variety of sources, so you’re not limited to just the way your chosen textbook explains something; this is especially helpful if you like to keep a journal of explanations, example sentences, etc. like I do. It gives you a lot to choose from. Thank you!

1 Like

Something seems weird here. The first example sentence, and the review sentence are the same in English, but the Japanese is different. I think this is a bug.

1 Like

lol yeah the review sentence’s translation is wrong.

@plantron Thank you! We love yours too! Freddie Mercury represent!

@NicoleIsEnough We are glad that you like the new design! Thank you for all of your feedback, kind words and support. We really appreciate it! Cheers!

@jprspereira Cheers! :smile:

@kit5un3 Thank you for your kind words! Please let us know if there is anything that we can do to improve your experience. Cheers!

@StellaTerra Thank you for your feedback and for drawing this to our attention. We have updated the site so that the Japanese and English sentences correctly reflect each other. Thank you for your patience! Cheers!

Love the app some grammar is finally going in!

A couple of comments for improvements

I use the app on mobile a lot, and when the screen is that small sometimes the feedback tab covers the practice setence text on the left. It would be great if this could be moved maybe to the top or bottom when the screen is shrunk down

Also on mobile, when my keyboard throws up suggestions it causes the UI to jiggle around a lot which can be annoying. An option to disable the suggestion keyboard would be good if the UI can’t be stabilised.

I otherwise love Bunpro, it can just be awkward on my phone and I use it 90% of the time for my japanese practice

1 Like

Maybe I misunderstood what @seanblue and you were discussing, but it seems an odd way of handling the srs. Was this across separate review sessions?

During a KW review session, we don’t halve srs ranks, we -1 but if the item is rank 7 or 8 out of 9, we -2 (double decrement when close to burned). More importantly we track “previously incorrect” (during session) and a subsequent correct answer doesn’t increase the srs.

So within the same session there are only 2 scenarios:
correct = +1 - removed from queue
or
incorrect = -1
incorrect = same
incorrect = same
correct = same - removed from queue

Basically, after a single incorrect answer, no further srs changes should occur within that session. Otherwise the srs is completely wrong.

5 Likes

Unfortunately there is no way for a website’s input field to disable autocomplete/composition suggestions in a standard fashion across mobile devices - the only surefire way to stop it is to disable it in your device settings yourself.

There could likely be a css fix to prevent the jiggling due to viewport height changing when the keyboard suggestions appear though.

1 Like

My first answer was incorrect in separate sessions.

Session 1 (SRS=3):
Incorrect (SRS=3/2=2)
Correct (SRS=2+1=3)

Session 2 (24 hours later, SRS=3):
Incorrect (SRS=3/2=2)
Correct (SRS=2+1=3)

Session 3 (24 hours later, SRS=3):
Correct (SRS=3+1=4)

So yes, they are counting the second attempt (which I got correct) is sessions 1 and 2 as actual correct answers to increase the SRS value. It’s very strange.

To summarize:

Exactly this. Why would I get credit for remembering something I just read a minute earlier after my incorrect review? To me this makes no sense.

3 Likes

Ok yeah, the assumption should be that you end up at SRS 2 by the end of those 3 scenarios. Which I’m pretty sure is how WK implements it as well.

Of course, Bunpro doesn’t have to follow WK’s SRS - they have different levels and intervals - but ideally the SRS increase/decrease should be more rigid (regardless of future user configs related to interval length/max intervals).

[edit, critiques without solutions are less helpful :frog:]

There’s many ways to implement this, but the most basic solution is just to track ids of incorrect items during a session, and on every incorrect/correct submission if incorrect_ids includes submission_id -> skip srs change. Also, obvs clear the incorrect ids list on session end or summary page view.

3 Likes

The autocomplete attribute of HTML will work on Chrome and several others by default.

1 Like

Pretty sure I suggested this just a few days ago haha. Hopefully this change is made soon.

That relates to autocompleting form values such as address, email, password etc - it does not generally affect composition suggestions managed by keyboard devices. Moreover, they’ve already added those attributes to their input field as per the instructions on using Wanakana.

Oh, I see. At least for the WanaKana on WK or Anki I didn’t have this problem. I did hack .autocapitalize into my Anki deck for Android because that was interfering with WanaKana, and that works way better now, and I was misremembering that.

@pushindawood @chezmax @Subversity The correct tag on Safari mobile to not give word suggestions on mobile is autocorrect="off", which Bunpro is not using. See this fiddle:

For what it’s worth, Wanakana’s website example (and WaniKani’s review input) use autocapitalize="none" autocorrect="off" autocomplete="off" and WaniKani also uses spellcheck="false".

1 Like

Gotta love web standards!

(I’m still wrapping my mind around the fact that Google uses Chrome 41’s level of Javascript to process pages for indexing.)

Dammit, I’m the one that wrote that.
I somehow combined autocorrect with autocapitalize=“off” being deprecated and switched to “none” for safari.

That said, autocorrect is only really respected by safari anyway since it’s non-standard.

Sigh, guess I’ll update the wanakana docs again.

@rfindley I definitely agree with you, but to be fair in this instance it’s just an extra attr that safari added for itself - it’s not part of any standards :frowning:

@Subversity Yeah, the Wanakana docs are using “none” when they should use “off” and I verified that autocorrect is happening on the Wanakana website input.

@rfindley I’m with you on that. I was ready to post my response when I saw that autocorrect was a non-standard tag only supported on Safari, requiring me to qualify my statement with “on Safari mobile”.

… or are they? :ghost:

[edit: sorry to derail thread @pushindawood]

1 Like

Wow. I will try this ^^

2 Likes

@Pluckabee Thank you for your feedback and kind words! We completely agree with you and we apologize that the current mobile experience is not up to snuff. Thank you for all of your suggestions on how to improve it! We will see what we can do about implementing what you have suggested onto the mobile side of things. Cheers!

@Subversity, @seanblue and @chezmax Thank you all for your detailed feedback and discussion on how the SRS should work and how to improve everyone’s mobile experience! We will make sure to take everything discussed into account as we make changes to how Bunpro functions to make it a better learning tool. It always amazes us how this community comes together to provide beneficial feedback that will enhance the way everyone learns Japanese. We really appreciate it and hope that we can live up to everyone’s expectations. Cheers!

@nihonkor Welcome! Please let us know if you have any feedback or if there is anything that we can do to improve your experience. Cheers!

1 Like