所属 Discussion

I mistook (ぞく)する for “to be attached” instead of “to belong to” which prompted a jisho search of what 所属(しょぞく) means and a discussion with a native speaker. She said that 所属(しょぞく) isn’t used with physical attachment and that’s also in line with the example sentences on jisho and weblio’s eng-jpn dictionary and the definition on weblio’s monolingual dictionary.

My beef is that although “Attached to” is totally valid, I automatically think of the physical meaning of “attached” first, like “The door is attached to the wall.” I think it would be easier to clarify that the meaning is strictly used with groups to switch the primary (attached to) and alternative (belong to) meanings. Additionally, I think “affiliated with,” although an unusual translation, would make a good additional alternative meaning to drive home that 所属(しょぞく) refers to belonging in a social and concrete group way than in a physical sense.

What are your thoughts?

1 Like

Just to be clear, why is the word “attached” coming up? It’s not listed as a meaning.

EDIT: Oh you mean for 所属, not 属する

1 Like

Yes, sorry. Mentally, I started connecting (ぞく)'s kanji meaning with “attached” since it’s the primary meaning of 所属(しょぞく) on WK

I understood 所属 to mean belong to a group or club or something similar, but it’s probably because I haven’t seen it in the other possible contexts.

1 Like

Alternatively, what about “is a member of” as an alternative meaning? Somewhat clunky but exceptionally clear in meaning.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.