怪物 = kemono?

Hello everyone, I’m on lvl 25 and I just learned that 獣 =kemono, which i thoughtht sounded familiar then I realized that there was an anime this season titled Kemono Jihen. I was curious so I looked it up and saw that the kanji is 怪物事変. I looked up the 怪物 on Jisho and saw that the reading is かいぶつ which got me a little bit confused. Can someone with more advance knowledge explain to me why the title is not 獣事変?

1 Like

that is a non “standard” reading(not in a dictionary), it’s probably safe to assume that the author uses the spelling of another words while reading of another. it probably means that those beasts are monsters or something like that.

2 Likes

ah I see there can be some flexibility with the language. I thought kanji had to be rigid in it’s reading.

2 Likes

they generally don’t take that much liberty, but even on the Japanese cover they wrote down the furigana. they always do for “made up” words

2 Likes

to add to that, け is a valid on reading of 怪, and もの is the kun reading of 物, so this isn’t completely out there…

2 Likes

i’d reckon that on’yomi + mono is less likely than 獣

1 Like

nah there’s quite a few legitimate words that mix the two (although this clearly isn’t one of them)

4 Likes

after all they are BESTS

With 物, though?

1 Like

本物 and 魔物 are all I can think of, but yeah I guess I was thinking of the more general on + kun case rather than with 物 specifically

edit: looking through the dictionary, there’s also 王物, 京物, 段物, 抄物 and probably others, but at this point I feel like I’m really scraping the barrel of kanji with no kun readings to prove a point no one really cares about :sweat_smile:

edit 2: interestingly the reading of 獣 itself apparently comes from + だ + もの which I guess maybe makes the pun more understandable?

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.