少女 used to have reading おとめ

Huh. I can’t say I recall that, but there’s other threads here mentioning it too, so I guess I’m just inobservant.

The only time 少女 gets mentioned in the update notes is September 25 last year, but the only changes listed are “moved “little girl” and “maiden” to allow list, added “young woman” to allow list, and updated meaning explanation”.

おとめ is more typically the reading for 乙女 anyway. This actually got raised in another thread back in April 2019.

3 Likes

but おとめ was there till last week… :disappointed:
Anyway, thank you for introducing me to 乙女 :wink:

It’s not a good idea to read it as おとめ unless furigana directs you to do so. Maybe they didn’t want to lend the impression it was a typical reading, even if it exists. Had you assumed it was a typical reading? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

well, one: I hear おとめ often in anime; two: if WK lists multiple possible readings, I assume you can arbitrarily choose one or the other… am I wrong? :sweat_smile:

the one you hear in anime would most likely be written “乙女” too.

Also WaniKani listing multiple readings does not always mean they are equally common as well :slight_smile:

5 Likes

yes guys, thank you, I know now that 乙女 is おとめ…
but still, WK can’t teach you a reading, letting you answer that correctly, and then suddenly remove that reading, making you answer your review WRONG… aah it’s so frustrating to see that red colour!! :sweat:

1 Like

My guess is that someone complained to them about it and they updated the reading section. I guess we’ll have confirmation about that from the next update post.

4 Likes

WK didn’t mention that reading in item info. You can’t say WK taught it to you. It’s not a standard reading either.

I don’t know why it was accepted but it was an undocumented thing. Users should never rely on any undocumented features.

1 Like

Well, no, I’m 99% sure it used to be there. @ollylove is just complaining that it suddenly disappeared.

4 Likes

I see. I don’t remember if it was there or not.

As a fresh level 4 I can confirm it was there as I learned it not long ago

3 Likes

well, you all are right, I’m complaining that that reading has disappeared, but it’s also true that おとめ wasn’t mentioned in the description and there was no mnemonic for that reading…
OK, so let’s just say that WK staff should find a better way to update their content, as removing readings without informing the user can cause confusion and frustration

5 Likes

Not to sound cheeky but I had a laugh :joy: staff do be trolling

Usually they move a reading to a hidden whitelist when they remove it from the item info, unless they think it was wrong.

2 Likes

They do inform us users though. In their regular update-posts. You can see all the changes they make to mnemonics and items. :eyes:

1 Like

Even though you are correct (I went back to my notes and had the おとめ there as a possible reading, too), if you look at it from a positive side, now, you won’t forget it anymore because of this error. And because you made this post, now I know, too, there is a “qualitative” difference between these two words. Thanks :+1:

Also, if you look at language learning as an evolving process, a little thing like this shouldn’t really matter. We learn many words that sometime have “crude” translations in the beginning but as you become more fluent the proper meanings, and usage, become more obvious, even without the need to translate it anymore… It just gets easier… Best of luck :facepunch:

5 Likes

Official announcement now available

4 Likes

Yeah I always have to check myself when things like this come up. WK has been changing quite a bit in the last year or so.

which is a good thing, improving a service… but although it’s safe to ADD features (readings, meanings, …), it’s potentially dangerous to REMOVE them… but I think I get it: stick to the primary reading/meaning of a kangi/vocabulary, unless it’s clearly stated in the description!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.