少女終末旅行 Home Thread (Beginner Book Club)

Hmm, probably not. Manga don’t usually get put up on FloFlo because of the difficulties extracting the text.

I’m not sure what to suggest, sorry :confused:

1 Like

I was thinking of pre-reading the manga whenever I find the time (whenever I’ve caught up with the current book, that is :wink: ) because I might have time collisions when we actually read the manga, so I can compensate a bit.
If somebody would like to set up a vocab list, I can try to fill in words there so this could be used for pre-learning.

How much vocab do you know by now, @SoraR , do you have any idea? Did you study any textbooks, or did you learn N5 or N4 vocab decks or something? (So that I know what should go into the list and what is probably not needed there.)

4 Likes

I’ll create the spreadsheet tonight.

3 Likes

@NicoleIsEnough Added it to the first post.

Calm down guys, I want to try something first. If it works, I’ll get you the deck built way before the book club starts :ok_hand:

8 Likes

I expect greatness from you.

7 Likes

I will probably go the ebook route. I’m just lucky enough to be in Japan and was hoping to find a copy for a couple of hundred yen. I’ll try another Bookoff if I get the chance.

I’m going to New York this weekend. I’ll check if I can find it there. If now, I’ll buy it online and deliver it to Barcelona

Hmm… I have studied with textbooks before but never flashcards/SRS until more recently (took the 3 month free iknow,jp offer). I definitely won’t say vocabulary is my strong point, Kanji helps cause remembering different definition for the exact same hiragana is a bit counter productive to me.

for me personally, the most important words to me will be the very high/high frequency ones even if they are basic (especially if they are in kana only) and technical or manga specific terms (possibly ones that are in katakana).

Oh that makes sense. Ive only looked at Flo Flo once and the search function wasn’t really working that well for me at that time so I didn’t realize that they didn’t have manga.

Edit: does anybody know if Ebooks Japan take foreign payment methods/paypal?
Might have to go digital since shipping is $$

1 Like

Is this a manga or a book? (sorry, too lazy to check online :P)

edit: nvm, コミックス :smiley:

I was hoping for another book tbh, something similar to 時をかける少女. It felt more educative, if it makes sense. Oh well… next time. In case I’ll just buy another novel from the same series in the meanwhile (or catch up with all the other stuff I already bought…)

3 Likes

The pace will be a bit faster, but you could check out the revived Intermediate Book Club if you want a book!

We will be tackling another book after this, though it’s probably considerably easier than 時をかける少女: The Mysterious Sweet Shop Zenitendou.

1 Like

Yeah, I was considering the idea, although I fear that I’m not ready for the intermediary book club, 時をかける少女 is already stretching the limit of my japanese. Unless 時をかける少女 was a bad pick for the beginner club in terms of difficulty, in which case I might reconsider and maybe try the intermediary club. What do you reckon?

Deregistering kindles is realloy annoying… I was genuinely considering picking up a used one for like 30£ to link it to my jp account…

1 Like

I think I’m in a similar position :joy: one of the nominations for the Intermediate Club is Wolf Children, which actually looks if anything easier than 時をかける少女. It’s longer though, and they’ll read it faster, so…
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You might as well take a look at some of the samples (both for the Intermediate Club and the Sweet Shop book). I’m sure we’ll tackle books similar to 時をかける少女 again at some point, but it’s hard to find things which aren’t too long, and reading a book is definitely at the upper end of the club.

3 Likes

No, 時をかける少女 definitely feels like a good difficulty for the beginner book club, especially at the pace we’re going. It’s probably towards to the difficult-end for the beginner book club, but still within reason I think.

9 Likes

Since this is a short series, might be more people decide to do all?

I sure went straight for full sett, since there was only 6 =)

What did you buy?

• Got the full set
  • Got the first, want to read before deciding, might get the rest
  • Bought only the one, not planing on getting more
  • I haven’t decided yet

0 voters

I might find I’m too busy to keep up with a side group for it, but I got them at least :rofl:
I just love complete sets =^_^=

5 Likes

I am not sure, I love completed series, but I bought the ebook version, so no problem for me to buy the second one instantaneously:3

3 Likes

I don’t have time to read anything outside of the current book clubs atm :sweat_smile: but it’s definitely one I could see myself continuing if I enjoy it. Looks fairly easy, so probably wouldn’t be too much extra work.

The fact that it has a very controlled six volumes and is finished appeals a lot; I don’t want to get suckered into some monster series with dozens of volumes and still ongoing.

4 Likes

I just bought it from Amazon JP + A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar. I didn’t realize day deliver in 3 to 6 days!

3 Likes

I’m planning to buy the whole thing, but still waiting to see what Intermediate is reading and may decide otherwise between now and then depending on what bills happen to land in my lap :wink:

3 Likes