少女終末旅行: Chapter 6 Discussion

あ 寝てるなこれ…
“Ah, don’t just fall asleep, this guy…” or “Hey, don’t sleep…”

At least this is how I read it.

2 Likes

Did you accidentally flick your eyes over to the right for an instant? Because there’s no そ in the second line - it’s just 行き着く先に. Yen Press do seem to have taken a few liberties with localisation, though.

3 Likes

Number 2 isn’t the な from negative imperative, but from talking to oneself, like in そうだな and the like. The これ is about the way she looks (or sound, actually, since she is snoring).
Putting it all in the right order, it means literally “ah that (is a sign that she) is sleeping” (plus talking to oneself, but I don’t see how to put that in the translation)

4 Likes

I am confused by the last panel in page 112.

meow

Kanazawa (I believe) says: 「登りやすいようにはこわしたんだけどね」
Chi (I think) replies: 「うーーん…かなりきつい」

My understanding is that Kanazawa is saying “(I) broke (the building) in a way that makes it easy to climb, but…”, and Chi replies “This is quite harsh/hard”. From what’s happening in that part of the story it seems pretty clear that climbing it is not an easy task. So why does Kanazawa say that it was broken in a way that made it easy to climb?

I thought that maybe there was an intent to break it in such a way (but failed to), but nothing I see in that sentence seems to point in that direction…

1 Like

I mean, compared to a full building falling and being a cube impossible to climb, this building has a slope that makes it possible to climb.

2 Likes

Hmmm. I completely agree, but shouldn’t in that case be something like 登れるように instead of 登りやすいように? Or can ~やすいように mean “in a way that it is easier” and not just “in a way that it is easy” … ?

2 Likes

Nah, it should be “easy to climb”.
Then again, they’re climbing it with a tank.
I think they do say something like, “If it wasn’t for the Kettenkrad, it’d be fine.”

5 Likes

I was so tired yesterday, but I was determined, to get Ch 6 started! I hate to admit this book is above my lame skillset, but I will finish it! So thought I’d get in 2 pages…boy that was a disaster :smile: Eliminate the stray hiragana and not be completely exhausted and it’s readable! and yes…they did take some liberal translation…but it’s all good…happy that I understand it.

Thank you so much for this explanation. This makes a lot more sense (and explains the English translation that seemed strange). I’ve updated my notes!

Now onto the next pages…let’s see how much I can get through before it get’s too late tonight!

4 Likes

I’m sleepy but I wanted to push through a couple of pages…and yatta! it looks like there’s hardly any text which means I read a lot tonight right? :slight_smile:

This is probably a dumb question…but as long as you awesome people keep answering them I’ll ask…

Bottom of Page 102 left panel…
what does/how does でっ translate?

I thought it was something like ‘it came from over there’…but I don’t know if that’s quite right… these little colloquial shortened forms of things tend to get me tripped up :slight_smile: but I’m certain there is no そ in this one haha

1 Like

痛い > いたっ > いてっ > でっ

Or, that’s how I figure, in any case. It’s possible my understanding has been skewed by the Yen Press translation.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t say skewed…just better at reading! I’m glad I asked the question…I don’t think I could have gotten from 痛い to でっ haha :slight_smile:

Thank you again for your awesome help!

1 Like

I’m behind…but not giving up…I’m almost caught up…need a little help

I don’t think anyone already asked…probably because you are all so much smarter than me :slight_smile:

page 109

この溝を越えて上層の入り口まで行って
みょうかと

I broke this down to be
この溝 (this ditch)
を越えて (cross over)
上層の (upper stratum/layer)
入り口 (entrance)
まで (until)
行って(go and…)

To cross over this ditch/chasm and go until we find the entrance to the upper layer…

what I can’t make sense of is this:
みょうかと

Page 110

カナザワを乗せるのはいいけどさ
I can’t figure out how to get to the English equivalent (“don’t mind”, I’m either missing something or they took some liberty…)

image image image

I read this as:
カナザワを乗せる (Giving Mr Kanazawa a ride)
のは
いい (good)
けどさ (but)

This one I can kind of make sense of:
道も作ってもらったし

I read this as
道も (road too)
作って (making)
もらった (helped do)
し (haven’t yet quite understood what this particle does to the end of a sentence…in any case)

This one I don’t get how it became keep going
オーーーーライーーーーーーー
It sounded to me like… alright in English :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I believe that’s not a small ょ but a normal よ. To my best understanding, that part works like this:

行く => to go
行ってみる => try to go
行ってみよう => try to go (+volitional)
行ってみようか => try to go? + question ka particle
行ってみようかと(思う)=> abbreviated version of the grammar structure (volitional + to omou) which means: planning to / thinking about + trying to go. (more info about that grammar point in here or if you have bunpro.)

In short it means “(we) were thinking about trying to go (to the entrance of the upper layers)”.

4 Likes

Thanks for his…I do have bunpro (lifetime FTW! haha…) more N4 grammar…no wonder this is so hard…It’s beyond my skill set…any hits on page 110?

1 Like

I was going to put in my notes who helped with this question…there is no way I’m writing down your username :smile:

I agree with the way you broke down the sentence; probably “don’t mind” is just the nuance that いい has in that sentence. Literally, it says “Giving Kanazawa a ride is good.” but a more natural English translation would be “I am fine with giving you a ride” which could also be said as “Don’t mind giving you a ride”.

This し is used when you want to make a set of sentences that explain the reason for something. Here is the related bunpro grammar point and Tae Kim’s

This is one of those cases when japanese adopted an English word but ended up using it in a slightly different way than a native English speaker would. It is definitely “Alright”; it is very common to hear this in anime and manga when someone is guiding someone else.

For example, if you were trying to park your car and your friend was trying to help you not hit another parked car behind you, he would go “alright… alright… stop!”. This is not so common among native English speakers, so I guess that’s why they went with “Keep coming”.

:stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

thank you!

their definition of “path” feels just a bit generous …given the artwork :wink:

1 Like

Push @2, and then it comes up first in the list of suggested tags. :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s more path-like than a big honking ravine.

I usually write it down … like with a pen an paper … you know things that kids don’t use anymore… lol…that’s what I meant…

True…but what I was thinking is all the offroading I’ve done…this is more of a path than what these poor people up against… this is taken from my drivers seat… yes that is snow on both sides :rofl:

Aside from the ice…One of the most awesome trails I’ve ever had the pleasure of running…ok back to going through this book…I want to finish today :slight_smile: onto page 112!

1 Like

Finally someone asked a question before me…

And thanks for this…after breaking it down, this last piece is what made it make sense! :sparkles:

1 Like