少女終末旅行: Chapter 2 Discussion

Think it took me until about that chapter to notice that the writing was even hiragana at all, and not just some mystery futurescript.

3 Likes

It took me awhile too when watching the anime, but of course I came into this already knowing

2 Likes

Just finished reading it, took me 30 minutes this time, way more difficult than chapter 1. My doubts were already answered in the thread, so all good and understood. The headbutt scene and the satisfied smile of Yuu after it are the best part :rofl:

5 Likes

I haven’t watched the anime - read the manga in English first. I probably should watch it at some point…

1 Like

One of these days you’ll read something in Japanese that you haven’t already read in English. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

omg you guys (and gals)…wow this is HARD! But I found a trick that’s really helpful…(for those of that were dumb enough to dive into the deep end)…Yeah for BunPro grammar search! Using it more than the dictionary :wink: Surprised a lot of this is above N4! But thanks to BP, it’s easier to make sense of it. It’s actually pretty awesome!

Still going slow, but at least got to page 30. Some of this kanji is hard crazy hard to write…Have a lot of military friends and was telling one of them I learned some interesting kanji… but when I tried to share and I found most of it isn’t common and not in sms dictionary :open_mouth:

on the plus side…it’s probably a good thing the kanji isn’t common eh…:grinning:

----edit----
hadn’t restarted my phone in at least a couple of weeks…discovered something was amiss with the Japanese sms part of the soft keyboard…restarting made it all better …

Got to share them with my buddy after all :wink:

7 Likes

Yep, I use this all the time!

You will see a ton of N3 grammar even in “simpler” manga and book, and still N2 and N1 from time to time.

That seems like a pretty silly statement from them to be honest. All the words (except maybe the one that they called “ration”) seem like normal words to me. I’d guess that anyone who reads the news regularly or reads manga/books with military aspects would know most or all of these words.

5 Likes

Natives don’t write or speak with the limitations of arbitrary second-language learning courses :wink: language is just language.

Example?

Edit:

They said kanji though, which would be even more absurd. Even the words that are less common are still written with extremely common kanji.

One of these days, something that I haven’t already read in English will win the vote. But not today. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

But what HAVEN’T you read in English, ya weeb?

4 Likes

Well ok not quite what I meant to say I guess…When I tried to text the kanji, I found it wasn’t my phones sms dictionary. (not common enough for that?) oh well…

…if I offended…sorry…wasn’t my intention… :zipper_mouth_face:

They’re definitely all in your dictionary. Well, I don’t know what you mean by sms dictionary, but they would be in any dictionary. What were you trying to type?

Also I don’t think you’ve offended anyone. We’re just trying to clear up misunderstandings. And I think Seanblue thought you meant that Japanese friends of yours told you that the kanji/words were uncommon and weren’t used, which would be an incorrect thing for those friends to say - but Japanese people have a habit of saying things like that anyway sometimes.

4 Likes

Kinda seems like everyone who asks their friends about words always gets told “what? I’d never use those”. (Though possibly there’s a bit of selection bias going on here - anyone who gets told “oh, I use those all the time” doesn’t post about it in the forums.)

3 Likes

To be fair, I think it’s often a more polite way of saying “why are learning 里心 when you can’t ask where the bathroom is?”

Which I still don’t actually think is a fair question, but I get where it’s coming from.

6 Likes

I never said they were Japanese friends :laughing:
oh dear…what did I do…everyone gets so excited easily…

Time to hide…

==========
Edit----

Restarted my phone…they all come up now … woo hoo!

1 Like

Heheh, relax. I think you’re misinterpreting our response.

We just know from what you said that either you’ve misunderstood something or the device you’re using is not working. If you’re misunderstanding something, we want to correct that. That’s all.

Aaaand it looks like it was your phone and you fixed it. :+1:

3 Likes

Why are we learning 里心 when we could be learning 機関銃? :stuck_out_tongue:

(Though, I reckon if you’re here to learn tourist Japanese, you’re in the wrong place.)

8 Likes

Says you.

9 Likes

Finished reading the manga one day late ^^‘. Took me 30 min this time, a little longer than last time. All these military words really slowed me down ^^’. All my questions about grammar were answered on the previous posts. Guess it’s useful sometimes to be late to the party ^^'.

Having watched the anime, the panel where Yuu threatens Chi was a lot more tense when animated since the pacing and the time spent on the scene lasted longer than when your eyes just go through the panel ^^'. I still love this part as it was there that I realized that this story was going to be a lot more interesting than what the first chapter gave out.

4 Likes

You are actually 6 days early :wink:
We started reading the chapter yesterday, and we have the whole long week (until Friday) to read it.
So no worries!

4 Likes