嬉 (うれ.しい) is a core kanji and should be added

wiki%20distinct%20kanji

(out of topic)
Am I the only one horrified by this number? ああぁぁぁぁぁぁ。。。。

Seeing as there are like 50k kanji I think, its not too surprising. There are wikipedia pages for obscure and unused kanji.

The scarier number imo is 6000 on aozora bunko.

Hah, I was just gonna say “yeah, that’s pretty horrifying, considering that’s barely a third of all the kanji in existence”.

Just to back to why should it be added since it is poorly used under kanji form, I would like to emphasize the vocabulary words such as 成程 or 有難う or 御免 which are extremely common words always seen written in kana. So why do we have such kanji? To be honest when I understood what is behind those daily used words I was so happy and excited, because it IS interesting. That is why for the same reason I wish to see 嬉しい as well.

3 Likes

Thinking about it, I guess it makes sense for Wikipedia to have a lot of kanji. It probably has a lot of obscure articles.

I didn’t find the number 6k to be surprising, given someone mentioned to me before that around 10k kanji are in use. s:

There are a lot of very common kanji missing from WaniKani in favor of some that are much less useful (looking at you, plant kanji (what even is a sedge?)).

嬉, 匂, 嘘, 噂, a lot of body parts (肘, 膝, 顎, 髭, 眉), off the top of my head, are far more useful than a lot of the stuff on the upper levels.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.