妬みは岩のない庭を見せる

This is a tough one. This seems to be a type of 金言 but it doesn’t seem to be common. The phrase “妬みは岩のない庭を見せる” shows up on a rock in Mr. Miyagi’s garden in the second season of Cobra Kai. It’s the YouTube Premium show that takes a look at what the characters from the original 80’s Karate Kid movies are doing today. Specifically bad boy Johnny Lawrence and Daniel Larusso.

Anyone have any idea on what they think it means? It seems to confuse native speakers. https://www.serendipity.page/b/2019/04/cobra-kai-season2/

There are certainly several philosophical English phrases that would trip up native speakers of English as well.

Rocks are important to traditional Japanese gardens so I’d imagine a garden with no rocks would not be ideal. I’m not sure how I’d clearly translate this though. Any thoughts?

3 Likes

I’m inclined to think it means “[insert meaningful-seeming Japanese phrase here]” :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.