大海原と大海原 ・Wadanohara and the Great Blue Sea (Absolute Beginners Book Club Starting in September)

thank you very much

2 Likes

This book is a little confusing as for some chapters the title page appears a few pages in, but if you look at the table of contents within the book it says that chapter 1 starts on page 13 - so I’ve included the vocab within the relevant chapter’s vocab sheet. Hope that makes sense.

Between each chapter there are 2 filler pages, which is how you can tell when the chapter ends and the next begins without looking at the table of contents.

For example at the end of the prologue we get these 2 filler pages indicating the end of that and the start of chapter 1

4 Likes

Would you guys recommend this for a level four wanikani? I learned a bit of grammar on another app, just not sure how much of a beginner is this book for.

2 Likes

It does have furigana, so as long as you’re ok with searching the dictionary for pretty much every word, the grammar is going to be the only real limiting factor. And you probably want to be familiar with a decent amount of grammar really

1 Like

It really depends on a few things. If you’re comfortable with spending a lot of time looking up grammar and vocab (though we do have a vocab sheet, so that will help!) then you can probably get by. We have others in the book club at a similar level, but they are spending a good amount of time looking things up each week (I’m one of them :joy:), but if that sounds a bit daunting you can always read at your own pace, or wait a bit and then utilize the club resources since they will still be up. The another option would be trying to learn the vocab from the sheet and the grammar mentioned in each week’s thread. You then would be able to read the book at a little later time with less look ups.

3 Likes

I’m willing to give it a try, but struggling to purchase a digital copy of the book. It says it’s currently unavailable on amazon.jp (was hoping to use Kindle for it). Even after adding a random japanese address to the amazon account, still same.

//Edit: I changed VPN to Japan and it works now. It actually seems to be free on amazon.jp.

3 Likes

:raising_hand_woman: I probably spend 30min to an hour reading each page. But Im learning new grammar and vocab and I think using it will help me internalize it quicker than going over and over a vocab list.

5 Likes

How do you guys go about searching up kanji/vocab from the book? Is there some way to open the book in pdf or other format so that you can click on the text and copy the kanji (then proceed to look it up in online dictionary)? Seems to be presented in form of images for me, can’t click or copy the text.

4 Likes

The kanji has furigana, so you can hand type that into a dictionary. Usually your keyboard will suggest kanji to match the kana. Though sometimes that takes a bit of scrolling.

4 Likes

As @IzCreature said you will want to have a Japanese keyboard enabled on your computer and then can type the furigana into a dictionary like Jisho to get the kanji and definitions. Unfortunately, ebooks have protection on them I think it’s called DRM so you will not be able to copy and paste etc unless you know how to remove that and get it into a pdf.

3 Likes

In theory, you could also copy/paste from the vocab list, as long as your behind at least. But I think theres benefit from hand typing the words.

3 Likes

Another option that’s worth knowing about is the Google translate app. This allows you to take a photo of text, or upload a photo/screenshot of text. It then scans the image and turns selected portions into text you can copy and paste.

It’s obviously best with standard computer fonts rather than handwritten or stylised text. I don’t use very often now but I used to sometimes use if there was no furigana and some text with several kanji I didn’t know.

4 Likes

I hadn’t thought to mention this since I never think to use it myself, but a samsung note phone (and maybe other phones as well?) has a function for “translate” where you hover your stylus over the text and it translates for you (likely through google).

I really should use the function more, come to think, but it must use the same-ish technology for translating!

1 Like

Chapter 2 thread is up!

6 Likes

Time to vote if you want to help pick the next absolute beginner book club book - link

2 Likes

Question about Wadanohara - is the book club going to be reading the other two volumes after finishing the first volume, including the 死の海編?

3 Likes

I haven’t polled people about continuing on, but I would be happy to do the second volume. I wasn’t planning on doing 死の海遍 since its I think Pixiv only and pretty dark compared to the rest of the series. Though if people are interested and aware that it’s darker and want to read it then maybe we could do a spin off for it?

4 Likes

Where can I find 死の海遍? A quick search on Google and Pixiv gave no results, but maybe I’m holding them wrong.

1 Like

T’was a mere 変換ミス

https://comic.pixiv.net/works/3550

編, not 遍 (both へん)

5 Likes

Unless I really don’t like volume one (not the case so far), I plan on reading volume 2. I already bought it :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:. I imagine we’ll talk about forming an offshoot when we get closer to the end of volume 1.

I didn’t know about the third book. I’d be willing to give it a try as well. Glancing through it, most kanji don’t have furigana, so it might be some more effort to get through it.

4 Likes