大きなかに Questions

Are you familiar with the ず form of negation? It’s a classical grammar form. いずに is the same as いないで.

1 Like

Ah right, I thought it was something like that. Thank you

I’d say 背負う + aux. くる, he was carrying it on his back? Would have to be some massive crab…

I think I would read it as [その / ぶつぶつ / と / いぼ] / の / [さる / 甲ら]. いぼ is “wart”, I think, which goes with ぶつぶつ “lumpy surface”. The さる “such” then goes with 甲ら.

(I’m thinking of the さる from さ ある, meaning “such, like that”, similar to かかる, from かく ある, meaning “such, like this”. さ and かく are old demonstratives that would correspond roughly to そう and こう.)

But I’m not quite sure because there are two issues with my parse.

1. ぶつぶつと looks furiously like an adverb+と yet there is no surface verb to attach it to. We could either interpret it as a noun “pimples” (I think most probable) or assume some kind of ellipsis, either after と or replaced by の.
  2. The presence of その was throwing me off… I would expect either さる or その but not both… but if we take ぶつぶつ as a noun, then we could group it as above, with その attaching to ぶつぶつといぼ. Not sure though. :woman_shrugging:

In case I’m wrong, I have no better idea, though. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Question 1: “Grandfather wad just 3 li alway. (Literally “three li separated grandfather (from us).

Question 1:

The grammar in question is a slightly old fashioned version of でていこうとする。
出る—>出て
行く—>ゆく(old fashioned form of いく)—>ゆこう(volitional)
と—>particle
する—>do

出ていく means literally “to go out”
ようとする is a grammar meaning “try to do” something

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.