夜市: Week 9 Discussion

I think the bandages and medicinal herbs are good because レイ said he brought them from the outside and told them they can leave them on. But I’m also suspecting the bullet…

Also, chapeau to @Naphthalene for picking the weekly breaks! We had one cliffhanger after the other - truly amazing! Ok, this week’s どうしたらいい was a bit of a dead giveaway, but still :slight_smile:
Full disclosure: I had to read one more page this week…

3 Likes

What have you done.
Fool! You’ve doomed us all!

m’kay, that might be enough sensationalism for now

3 Likes

I was really worried for a moment that I had spoilered something in my above comment; but no! He said that before the week’s break. :sweat_smile:

Hmm. I’m a little behind in posting my reading questions, so let’s see if I can post another chunk.

Questions

58% (beg. of section 3): 「でも、あの塀を乗り越えば近いのにね」
What kind of のに is this?

「だからそれはやっちゃいけないんだって。」
やっちゃ should be やる, correct? “It would be bad if that happened”?

58%: 一秒ほどの間があって、枯れ枝は見えない何かにはじかれて戻ってぃた。
I’m probably just parsing this wrong, but neither はじかれて or じかれて have led me in the right direction.

59%: 「二人で高校生ぐらいになったら、バイトとかしてお金を貯めてさ、いけるところまで迫り歩きしながらいってみようぜ」
I guess it’s the いける throwing me here.

59: 「大丈夫さ、レンさんがその時まで開いてそうな入り口を知っているよ。ねえ」
What’s the extra い doing?

61%: 君たちは騙されていたんだよ。殺されるところだったよ。
I can never seen to pinpoint ところ. Is this “about to [do something]”?

61%: レンが荷台から鉈を摑んで、横飛びに飛ぶのと、ほぼ同時にコモリが発泡した。
Just any explanation that can be provided for the bolded would be great.

63%: いくらなんでも、すでに取り押さえた状態なのだから、殺すことはないのではないか。
Double negative. :thinking: “It is the act of killing”?

コモリなる男が何者なのか知らない。
Is なる just kind of restating "the man known as コモリ or somesuch?

63%: 「早く外に出て病院へ連れていかないと
My question mostly centers around と here; is it the “if” と? “If we don’t get him to the hospital quickly…”

64%: 木々の間から信号や交差点、線路や舗装道路といった風景が垣間見えたが、投げた木切れが戻ってくるのを体験していた私は、そちらにいこうとは思わなかった。
I was thinking that the bolded might refer to a tree stump or something? But maybe not? :face_with_monocle:

Thank you guys for the help!

1 Like

Really quickly, without checking.

It’s the “(even) though” kind.

It comes from やる yes. More than “that happened”, it’s “I’m telling you I/you/we shouldn’t do this”

It’s 弾く(はじく)in the passive form (to be repelled).

That part made no sense, so you made me check :stuck_out_tongue: It’s 泊まり not 迫り
So walking and staying in hotel as far as they can go.

It’s from ている → ていそう looks like it’s being

Yes.

Well, you didn’t ask about this, but it’s 発砲 :stuck_out_tongue:

The repetition of 飛ぶ feels strange, but I don’t know a structure that would be VいにVの, so I’m taking it at face value.
横飛びに in a side jump
飛ぶ to jump
の nominalization
と with
→ with jumping into a side jump. (Again, the repetition is weird, but a cursory check didn’t yield anything for a pattern like that).

Not really a double negative. “You shouldn’t kill, no?”

Just stating, not restating, but yes.

Yes.

It’s referring to the branch that bounced back before (see your third question). Seen the narrator had that experience already, they do not even think it would be possible to walk out of the path.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for going through my questions, @Naphthalene, and apologies for the typos. >.<

1 Like

Considering the repetition, I’m more inclined to say this is the second meaning (on jisho.org) of 横飛び; “running hurriedly with one’s body bent forward”, or as it’s colloquially known, “Naruto Running”. に飛ぶ would be “leaping into the movement” or “charging”.

Also worth noting, the と here is actually applying to the upcoming 同時に. It’s gently separated with ほぼ but that’s the logical place for a quantifying word to go. と同時に is a pattern that means “at the same time”, so とほぼ同時に means “almost at the same time”. So the sentence is really more like “Ren seized his weapon from atop the cart, and charged towards Komori. At nearly the same time, Komori fired his gun.”

2 Likes

It feels a bit weird, though, since that meaning refers to running in general. What’s your problem with the first meaning? The repetition is unfortunate (or is it?) but 横飛び is a thing. It’s like a side jump, if you google it, you’ll see what I mean. Like, it’s a side dodge, which makes sense considering the situation.

For the と, having the rest of the sentence sure is helpful. :stuck_out_tongue:

You say it like I didn’t write the full sentence. :cry:

Oh, you sure did!
I guess I was blinded at the time by the question about と sorry about that :sweat_smile:
As in, I first look at the question then only read the relevant part, JLPT style.

3 Likes

I guess either one is fine. Since it does say in the next sentence that he was charging Komori, maybe to say the same thing in this sentence would be redundant. In context the one that made the most sense to me was that he was running towards him (especially since the goo definition for the second meaning says “突っ切るように急いで走ること”) – but maybe not. :man_shrugging: idk

1 Like

That’s also the definition I was using, but your interpretation does make sense too. We are reaching the limit of what I remember; I’ll have to check the text.

Edit: Okay, I asked my local Japanese native who didn’t even know about the second meaning…

3 Likes