Week 5

Start Date: June 6th
Previous week: Week 4
Next week: Week 6

Reading:

End Page End Percentage End Phrase Page Count
78 35% 「どうして?」 18

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I am no longer/not reading the book

0 voters

Oof that last part was terrifying in a way. When the little brother started following the girl, I started screaming inside, and it didn’t stop until the situation resolved.

More generally I’m quite happy that my crazy theory, that the old guy was the little brother, was right. At the same time, I’m a bit disappointed since, well, what were the odds. At least now we know that he didn’t randomly risk a lot of trouble without reason for killing the 人攫い. It was instead the perfect opportunity, allowing him to kill without any consequence since he has proof of cheating :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I really enjoyed this section, and that part was definitely terrifying and sad.

I liked the premise of a man with the mind of a 5 year old showing up in a new world, and how that might play out as his mind catches up with his body. But yeah, I guess the scariest things tend to be what regular people are seemingly capable of when fueled with anger and jealousy and fear, something we’re seeing in the real world quite a bit all of a sudden. I’m really looking forward to how the rest of the interaction with the girl plays out, and how it will all get tied up.

Also, after last weeks cliffhanger, I thought there was going to be some suspense, but nope, 老紳士 just cut off 人攫い’s head, right off the bat, which amused me greatly.

Oh, and I liked the part where he told the girl to watch out for kidnappers :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Not much discussion on this section, huh? I really need to sit down and organize my thoughts and questions; I’ve been highlighting tricky passages as I go along, but haven’t had the motivation/time to actually write up posts for each week. -.-; Are there generally enough people hanging around older book club threads to answer questions after the fact?

I’m a little surprised we’re so close to the end, anyway. I’m curious how this will all tie up; to be honest, I’m expecting a happy ending all around. The book feels spooky, but not depressing, you know? I feel like there’s a chance all our heroes can escape the 夜市 yet.

I was also thinking about the parallel between the older brother meeting a girl and the younger meeting a girl. It’s a bit too early yet to compare the interactions between the two, but I thought it was interesting that both meet up with a girl before their final (?) interaction with the Market. Could be there’s nothing there, but there are so few characters I might as well speculate.

2 Likes

I guess so? I actively took part in the reading of all books of the intermediate book club except for the very first one (No 6), so there’s me at the very least. As far as I know, all books from the beginner book club still have people who read them on the forums as well. It’s possible for a post to be drown in the daily activity of the forum, though, so if no one replies, you can always try to tag someone to get more attention (some people do put threads on “watching” to be notified, so that might not be necessary).

I know, right? Re: the chance for a good ending all around, I found it suspicious that we only have the “younger” brother and いずみ so far. I wonder if something happened to 裕司. But I agree, the atmosphere was spooky, but nothing really horrible happened (well, there was a murder… but I don’r really feel bad about that one :p). That’s in stark contrast with the other book by the same author that I read. Rape, murder, mutilations, you name it… I like this book better :slight_smile:

Edit:

I can’t help but notice that we have lost 30% of our readers since the previous week :confused: That’s… surprising so close to the end of a story.

4 Likes

I held off on reading this chunk so I could sync up with another reading club I’m part of (we put in our reports on Sundays) so I just finished up and can move on to the next chunk right away. Wouldn’t dream of dropping the book after all this buildup!

2 Likes

I fell behind with work things, but I’ve picked it back up (while also starting WK study again. So many reviews…)

I have been reading through with minimal dictionary use so I can appreciate the story without stopping too much. I planned to go back and reread it with proper translations, but I haven’t had the time. Even with that, I’m getting a lot of it and loved this section. The creepy mood really comes through, especially with the interaction with the girl. I felt so anxious about how it would resolve and read faster trying to find out.

It’s been so cool to have a book affect me like that, especially in another language (this is my first book in Japanese)

4 Likes