夜市: Week 4 Discussion

Thank you for your insight. I still feel like this sentence is kind of weird though.

2 Likes

Well it less that the sentence is strange and more that 人攫い is extremely shady.

1 Like

Does it have to be a debt (of gratitude or otherwise) owed by the 人攫い? I thought maybe he does remember that the 弟 got away and is referring to the ‘debt’ owed him because he didn’t get his end of the deal, but… (oops, next week spoiler!!)

I don’t think I’ve come across 借り very much at all, so I’m sure I’m lost on the nuances. Not sure if this is a possible interpretation at all.

1 Like

Maybe you should mark this as spoiler as we only learn about that in the following chapter :scream:

3 Likes

That cannot be it, since, in that case, no transaction can be possible :joy: He is trying to convince them that he has 弟 right there.

Also, 借りがある goes in the other direction, so that’s another reason why it cannot work like that.
I’m just going to drop the thesaurus link:

報いるべき恩義を感じているさま

So it is specifically for feeling debt of gratitudes. Interesting. (That’s the only use I have come across, but I was not sure it was the only possible)

3 Likes

@Naphthalene’s interpretation sounds right to me. The whole thing gave me a “I’m basically giving this kid away for free, but I’m indebted to him for being a repeat customer, so 仕方がない…” vibe.

3 Likes

Thank you!! Totally missed that this was the week 4 thread, sorry! :pray:

I was thinking there might be a double meaning since he is so shady (like formally announcing it to the 夜市 or something), but

since there’s that, nope. :slight_smile: Thank you!

3 Likes