☕ 夜カフェ ☕ (Offshoot Book Club) Home Thread (Starting Book 5 from July 1st)

No, no, it all came at the perfect time. Work had been hectic that’s why I was so hesitant. Thank you for your concern :see_no_evil: I will be joining shortly (:

5 Likes

Ah so it’s MyAnimeList but for books eh XD
Jokes aside, thanks for the explanation. It definitely seems like an interesting and useful resource for finding new reading material at a good level.
Though I will say, I personally think that 夜カフェ is at least a bit harder than シャドーハウス, so both of them being labeled as “level 23” seems off to me. But perhaps it’s just the “wall of text” effect playing tricks on my mind.

4 Likes

I think it’s a slight flaw in the system that they compare LNs/books to manga. They are difficult in different ways, imo.

Edit: what the heck was that sentence? Think I tried to say the same thing two different ways at once and garbled the message. :laughing:

5 Likes

I haven’t caught up yet, so I feel like my opinion in this pole is not relevant. Thanks for pinging me though! I’ll let you know if/when I get there.

3 Likes

I’d say the poll is exactly for people who haven’t caught up yet!

2 Likes

^ This is correct! No matter how far behind you think you are, even if you think a week break won’t make a difference because you won’t be caught up, there’s no reason why you can’t vote! At least if we take a break, you have the chance to read and catch up somewhat even if it’s not the exact chapter we’re reading. So don’t feel like you don’t have a say in the matter!

Click the poll, you know you want to :wink:

3 Likes

Thanks for the ping!

Yes I’ve definitely fallen behind and am still trying to finish the first volume :smiling_face_with_tear:
August is my busiest month for work (and life?) plus I have a few other books I’m a little more dedicated to right now… but definitely plan on catching up eventually!

3 Likes

Thank you all for your input and for voting in such short notice! :pray: Since 14 of the 19 (potential) members have already voted and it’s been 24 hours since posting the poll, I’ve decided to go with the current results.

It looks like we’ve reached a majority vote in favor of taking a break. As for how soon this shall be implemented, according to the second poll, the current majority prefers breaking on Week 4. I agree as it would feel like a break a quarter into the story with the next break scheduled after the halfway point (Week 7).

For those who were in favor of taking an immediate break, please don’t let us proceeding for another week discourage you! If you look at the page numbers, chapter 1 looks a bit overwhelming at 20 pages, but please know that a good chunk of the first half is just Hanabi recalling the events of the previous book, so it should be easy to understand and go pretty quickly. After that, there’s a lot of dialogue exchange which can also be quick to read. By Week 2 and Week 3, the page count drops considerably (9 pages and 7 pages respectively) so you’ll catch up in no time!

For those who were hoping to proceed at a faster pace, thank you for your patience! :slight_smile: I think it’s much more fun when more people can read along and talk about the story together, but I know life gets in the way and it’s hard to keep up the pace. Plus, there’s 10 more books in the series to go after this, so I’d like to help more people catch up so many of us can read the rest of the series together if they’re still interested!

I’ll update the first post with the new schedule and post the Week 3 discussion thread momentarily. If there’s anything you would like to discuss further, any questions about anything, etc. feel free to share them! Even if you haven’t started reading the book yet, you’re still a member of the reading club if you so choose so please don’t hesitate to share your thoughts. :wink:

Edit: The first post has been updated with the new schedule. Here’s a link to Week 3 Discussion! If you aren’t already aware, you can get notifications for any threads you want to follow by clicking the icon with a little bell that has an exclamation mark inside on the bottom right of the page.

8 Likes

Just a reminder that Week 4 is our first break week. We’ll continue where we left out next week with chapter 4.

If you’re behind, don’t sweat it! You can still catch up! We’re rooting for you! :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

I may take this time to go over some of the previous text and refocus on the unknown grammar specifically. But I am happy to say that I definitely feel like I’ve made a lot of progress since starting the first volume :smiley: The difficulty level of this series is certainly quite good imo.

4 Likes

Hope you guys enjoyed the break! Chapter 4 thread is up!

4 Likes

A few hours later than intended but a little caught up with my company’s conference :sweat_smile:

But definitely give a shout out if you’re struggling with anything!

4 Likes

It’s the last week before our second week break! It’s the start of Silver Week in Japan, so it’s a nice catch up week for me. But hope you guys are doing alright!

5 Likes

A reminder that this week is another break week. If you’re using it to catch up with this club or other reading clubs, you can do it! If you’re taking a much needed break, then you go for it! You deserve it!

5 Likes

Welcome to October and welcome back to Yoru Cafe! How’re you guys doing? :smiley: I’m still a couple chapters behind, but since PokeSpe is no longer a priority, I should be able to catch up soon. Here’s the next thread for chapter 7!

5 Likes

Yeah it was good to have a week off, basically caught up all 3 book clubs I’m following. I’ll try to focus more on the unclear grammar points or expressions this week so I may ask a few questions , よろしくお願いします!

5 Likes

That’s great to hear! :smile: Thanks for your input and for always asking questions. Always appreciate the activity considering our readership is small. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

* sigh *

Not only did I not “focus more on the unclear grammar points or expressions”, I did no reading whatsoever. I had some surprise guests from overseas who stayed with us this week. Now I’m behind on all 3 bookclubs I’m participating in. In all honesty I’m feeling incredibly sour about the whole thing, far more than I should be. Hopefully I’ll wake up tomorrow feeling a little better, and work on catching up

3 Likes

Hey these things happen and you can’t help them so you feel frustrated from not having control over the situation. No need to beat yourself up over it. :slight_smile:

There will always be an opportunity to read and do what you want to do. This club will always be here when you have a chance to ask questions and I’m sure your other clubs are the same!

2 Likes

Almost forgot! Here’s the discussion link for chapter 8.

4 Likes