☕ 夜カフェ ☕ (Offshoot Book Club) Home Thread (Starting Book 5 from July 1st)

I may take this time to go over some of the previous text and refocus on the unknown grammar specifically. But I am happy to say that I definitely feel like I’ve made a lot of progress since starting the first volume :smiley: The difficulty level of this series is certainly quite good imo.

4 Likes

Hope you guys enjoyed the break! Chapter 4 thread is up!

4 Likes

A few hours later than intended but a little caught up with my company’s conference :sweat_smile:

But definitely give a shout out if you’re struggling with anything!

4 Likes

It’s the last week before our second week break! It’s the start of Silver Week in Japan, so it’s a nice catch up week for me. But hope you guys are doing alright!

5 Likes

A reminder that this week is another break week. If you’re using it to catch up with this club or other reading clubs, you can do it! If you’re taking a much needed break, then you go for it! You deserve it!

5 Likes

Welcome to October and welcome back to Yoru Cafe! How’re you guys doing? :smiley: I’m still a couple chapters behind, but since PokeSpe is no longer a priority, I should be able to catch up soon. Here’s the next thread for chapter 7!

5 Likes

Yeah it was good to have a week off, basically caught up all 3 book clubs I’m following. I’ll try to focus more on the unclear grammar points or expressions this week so I may ask a few questions , よろしくお願いします!

5 Likes

That’s great to hear! :smile: Thanks for your input and for always asking questions. Always appreciate the activity considering our readership is small. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

* sigh *

Not only did I not “focus more on the unclear grammar points or expressions”, I did no reading whatsoever. I had some surprise guests from overseas who stayed with us this week. Now I’m behind on all 3 bookclubs I’m participating in. In all honesty I’m feeling incredibly sour about the whole thing, far more than I should be. Hopefully I’ll wake up tomorrow feeling a little better, and work on catching up

3 Likes

Hey these things happen and you can’t help them so you feel frustrated from not having control over the situation. No need to beat yourself up over it. :slight_smile:

There will always be an opportunity to read and do what you want to do. This club will always be here when you have a chance to ask questions and I’m sure your other clubs are the same!

2 Likes

Almost forgot! Here’s the discussion link for chapter 8.

4 Likes

Are you on chapter 7? I’m reading through that now, not quite finished, but grammatically it was pretty ok.

I might add some notes in the next couple of days where I’ve seen a couple of N3 grammar points that I’ve just learned. Probably not essential to understanding but does add nuance.

4 Likes

This week starts chapter 9, volume 2!

4 Likes

Chapter 10 thread up! Hope you’re all doing well!

3 Likes

Unfortunately still behind (chapter 8) but I have a fair amount of free time the next few days so hopefully I’ll catch up to all the book clubs

On another note, what are everyone’s thoughts on continuing with the next volume? I personally would love to do so, I’ve become quite attached to our friends at the night cafe :smiley:

3 Likes

I’ve purchased the whole series so I’m committed to finishing the series! But I should warn you that if you choose to do this, you may be spoiled from the art on the cover, so be careful!

If we continue to have some kind of readership for the rest of the series, I’m more than happy to make threads. I’ll post some polls later in about the second to last week asking of everyone’s interest level if you’re undecided now.

I know some people are concerned about the constant bullying theme, so I understand if some people pull out. Will be sad to see you go though! :disappointed:

4 Likes

I just figured out that this is a two part problem for me:

1. This is just my fear/guess how the story will go, I have absolutely no idea if I’m right, so that is why this is a not a spoiler. I just fear this is what will happen: I have a sneaking suspicion that the bullies will be allowed to get away with their behavior because something was terrible in their lives. Boohoo… While those who was bullied will suddenly “become friends” with their former bullies. Because it is on the victims to forgive and forget because it is all over now, right?

2. I find that with the weekly schedule, I have time to dwell on all the terrible stuff that happens and tends to be solved only a few chapters later. Meaning, that by the time a bad situation is finally solved, I will have been thinking about it for several weeks if not a month (or more!). And that makes the negative situations in the book so much more grave. So I think I’ll probably read volume 3 (that is the last volume I own currently) at my own pace. To see if that makes me less negative about the drama this book series seems to favor. (But I’m also getting right tired of the bullying. The two main drama seems to be absent parents and bullying. That isn’t all the things that are a problem for kids that age…)

2 Likes

Welcome to Week 13! We’re down to the penultimate chapter! ☕ 夜カフェ 2 ☕ Offshoot Book Club Chapter 11 Discussion Thread

It’s funny how fast the second novel went despite the two breaks. :sweat_smile: Don’t worry if you still haven’t caught up! The last week is the あとがき with not much to read (and is really just optional).

Actually, I wonder if we even need a separate thread for it or if it’s okay to just post at the end of the chapter 12 thread? I don’t mind either way, but I wonder if anyone even comments about them in other book clubs? I’ll tell you what, let’s make it a poll because you love those!

Do we need a new thread discussion for Week 15’s あとがき and Hanabi’s Recipe?
  • Yes, I like consistency
  • No, just stick it at the end of the last chapter’s thread
  • No preference but I like polls

0 voters

2 Likes

I also think we should just read last chapter, recipe and atogaki in the same week, it is only 13 pages all together.

2 Likes

Wow, sorry everyone for posting so late! Got a little confused this past week because Thursday was a holiday (and almost posted it then lol) and woke up this morning thinking I had to go to work but was pleasantly surprised that wasn’t the case. XD

Anyway, here’s the final chapter’s discussion thread! According to last week’s poll results, we’ll continue discussion for the recipe and あとがき at the end of this thread too.

3 Likes