夜カフェ ☕ Chapter 13 (Beginner Book Club)

I’m not 100%, but I think it’s 降られる.

“I was writing down how to make it in the recipe book, when suddenly (what Aiko-san just said) fell upon me.”

Essentially, she had a slightly delayed reaction to suddenly being told she was going to be the one to make it. That was the only sense I could make of it, anyhow. Perhaps someone else disagrees.

Per weblio:

“Generally an abbreviation of a phrase used to request a favor such as 「そこをなんとかお願いします」. It is used in a situation where you insist on doing something the other party is reluctant to do.”

Since that is a grammar point, then I would say that works fine. I honestly just automatically filled in like a したことない afterwards in my head, since I didn’t know that grammar point (I really should buy that book…). There’s definitely something implied after it that indicates she hasn’t done this kind of thing since that time period, regardless of what it is.

I also don’t have any sources besides some random ones on the internet I’m not positive I trust, but it makes sense to me that it’s something like this.

For my own analysis, if I were to not trust the sources:

I think it’s a case of Japanese being vague again, and assuming you know what will follow; she was just raving about the flavor of the other food, so it’s a fair assumption that she is about to do the same here.

“Moreover, if I were to talk about the deliciousness of the potato salad, (then I would have to say it’s also great… or something else positive here; sorry, not very imaginative at the moment apparently. :laughing:).”

Edit: Actually, Maggie-sensei has a section that mentions といったら! It’s listed with the というと section, and she mentions that it’s used for expressing your opinion on something, and can be either positive or negative. The example she gives that’s most similar:

Though obviously, context tells us in our case, that it’s positive.

2 Likes

As always, thanks for the answers! That all makes a lot of sense.

And now, the last batch of questions for the book!

ebook page 155:

• いよっ、ヤマトって感じ。
    Another one of these short sentences that are a complete mystery to me.

ebook page 157:

• あたしなんて、ちょっとでもなにか言おうものなら、涙が出てきそうで、なにも言えない。

• What’s the なんて here? It seems different than the usual なんて I see - “such a thing as me” doesn’t fit here.
    • Is the ちょっとでもなにか言おうものなら literally “If I would say something even a little”?
  • おれだって、愛子さんちにいるほうが、ぜったい楽しいって、わかってる。
    Even I understand that staying at Aiko’s place would definitely be fun”? (Or is there a “more” in there somewhere? Like in のほうが comparisons, even if the の is missing?)

ebook page 161:

• あたしの心のようにゆらゆらゆれる。
    The moon is doing what like her heart? Shaking?

• 最初はこわかったのに、自分でも気づかぬうちに、ヤマト君はあたしの中で、大きくなっていた。
    Is 自分でも気づかぬうちに “while not even realizing it myself”?

• 愛子さんちにいるのは、ほんとに楽しいけれど、もしもヤマト君がいなかったら、これほどまでに幸せだっただろうか。
    Being at Aiko’s is really fun, however I wonder if it would’ve been so much happiness if Yamato wasn’t there”? (I’m a bit confused that the first two sentence parts seem to be in present tense, while the latter part is past tense.)

And with that, I’m done! Leaving aside text books and graded readers, this was the first Japanese work that I ever finished in its original language. Thanks for making that possible, everyone! :heart:

5 Likes
Pages 155, 157, 161

Not completely sure about the いよ, but according to goo.jp, this is an informal sound change for いや, which can be used (among other things) as a general exclamation of surprise.

So my best guess is that it’s being used that way here.

ヤマトって => here って is being used as the informal version of という, where と is the quotation particle.
ヤマトって感じ => “ヤマト” という感じ => (it) feels very Yamato-like / it gives a very “Yamato” vibe.

So the short phrase would be “wow, that’s was very like you, Yamato”.

In essence, なんて is a derogatory way to refer to something, that expresses a certain level of disdain. So あたしなんて would mean that the person saying this feels that he/she is unworthy or in some way not good enough for whatever the rest of the sentence says. It’s commonly translated as “Someone like / things like”, though sadly that loses the specific derogatory nuance of なんて.

ちょっとでもなにか言おうものなら means something more akin to “if (someone like me) were to try to say something, even if it’s a little bit …”. This combines with the unworthiness of なんて that we mentioned - if a person like me (in this case, Hanabi, who has no right to meddle in Yamato’s family affairs), were to try to say something…

The “try to say” comes from 言おう which is in volitional form.

Yes, this is an implied comparison that comes from ほうが. The の is not missing - の is only used when comparing nouns in particular, but in this case it’s comparing actions (verbs).

So here the implicit comparison made by Yamato-kun is his life staying at Aiko-san’s house to travelling with his dad. “I know that staying at Aiko-san’s house is for sure a lot more enjoyable.”

Not sure about this one.

Yes, I agree with your interpretation.

My understanding is that the first two sentences are in present tense because they apply a description (being fun) to a action (being at Aiko’s house). So this is talking in general. It’s like saying “Eating ice-cream is nice” - it’s not talking about a particular event of eating ice-cream (past, present or future), but about eating it in general

愛子さんちにいるのは、ほんとに楽しい => “(The act of) staying at Aiko-san’s house, is really fun”. There’s also the fact that this is talking about Hanabi staying there, which is still ongoing in the present.

Then comes a hypothetical situation that starts with もしも. Here, past tense makes sense because it’s a hypotetical situation about something that happened in the past - it would involve Yamato-kun not being there when Hanabi escaped from her home at the beginning of the book. This would be something like “If Yamato-kun hadn’t been there, I wonder if I would have been this happy?”

Congrats! :tada:

5 Likes

I think it’s more like”trembling”. So when she looks up at the moon, it doesn’t look steady, like it’s trembling? Maybe.

4 Likes

Yeah, I read it like “wavering/flickering.”

4 Likes

I think this is hinting that she has tears in her eyes, which is making to image of the moon waver.

6 Likes

Huh. So combined with the later part, it would be “If someone like me were to say something, even if it’s a little bit, it seems like tears would come out, and because of that I couldn’t say anything”? So she implies that she has no right to meddle in his affairs, but the actual reason she’s holding back is because it seems like tears would come out if she would talk about the topic?

1 Like

Close, I read the nante more like a disdain for herself because of the whole thing that follows. She can’t even say anything because even just trying to speak a little would trigger her to tears. So it’s less about meddling in his affairs and more dissapointment in herself for not being stronger…

Translating nante as literal “someone like” or “something like” can be misleading. It’s one of those hard to translate words…

“I (ugh) can’t even say anything because when I would try to say even a little bit I would break out in tears”

EDIT: maybe that helps as well? 【JLPT N2】文法・例文:〜ようものなら | 日本語NET

6 Likes

The part about Hanabi feeling she has no right to meddle in Yamato’s affairs is certainly my personal interpretation of why she’s using なんて there - the book does not explicitly state why she’s looking down on herself there, and there are other possible reasons like @downtimes mentioned.

My personal impression is that, after Yamato-kun declares he’s going to leave, everyone else encourages him and tells him he’s doing the right thing by confronting his family issue - Hanabi, despite liking him, understands too that this is best for him, and is part of the reason she feels she has no right to tell him not to go or anything of the sort.

My interpretation is that the second part of the sentence in question goes in addition to the なんて, and not necessarily in opposition - that even in the scenario where she, who has no right to say anything, ended up actually trying to say something, she’d still fail to because tears would not let her.

3 Likes

Thanks for your help with the interpretation, @downtimes, @2OC3aOdKgwSGlxfz!

Oh, definitely. I didn’t even realize that was a separate grammar point.

2 Likes