Week 3 December 24 Ch 3 45 27
Week 4 December 31 Ch 4 74 17
Week 5 January 7 Ch 5 92 16
Week 6 January 14 Ch 6 109 16
Week 7 January 21 Ch 7 127 22
Week 8 January 28 Ch 8 151 19
Week 9 February 4 Ch 9 170 23
Week 10 February 11 Ch 10 + Extra pages 193 9

Hope you enjoyed your break! We’re continuing with book 3 in the 夜カフェ sequel. This thread will temporarily serve as a discussion thread for book 3, chapter 1 but may be converted into a discussion thread for the whole of volume 3.

This is an offshoot book club for 夜カフェ which we originally read with the Beginners Book Club. Please follow the links below to guide you to the other volumes in the series.

Start date of current chapter: 26th November 2022
Volume 4: 夜カフェ 4 Discussion Thread
Next time: Vol 3, Chapter 2
Volume 2: 夜カフェ Offshoot Book Club Home Thread
Volume 1: 夜カフェ 1 Home Thread

Vocabulary List

The vocab list is a community effort, so if you contribute to the list or even just point out a potential error/typo, you’re helping your fellow readers out! It goes without saying, but feel free to peruse the list to help make your reading experience easier! You’re not obligated to contribute but any help you provide is truly appreciated. :slight_smile:

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur / hide any major events in the current week’s pages (however early they occur), like so: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler] result: texthere
  • If you’re reading ahead, please refrain from mentioning spoilers in future chapters. If you absolutely must comment something, be sure to add a warning (ex: potential spoiler in chapter 3) before hiding the rest of the spoiler under a spoiler tag.
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number and identify whether your book is a physical copy or ebook, and check before posting that your question hasn’t already been asked
  • Feel free to jump in at any point in the discussion - you’re never too late to the party!
  • Sharing your impressions and predictions of the reading are highly encouraged! It’s fun to see if the story pans out the way some of us think. Just be careful not to give away anything if you’re reading ahead. :wink:

Participation Poll

• I’m reading along
  • I’ve already read this part
  • I’m from the future and reading way later
  • I’m behind and will catch up later
  • I’ve decided to drop the series

0 voters

Might not make it in time this first week, due to exams and the main book club, but I’ll try my best to get back on schedule as soon as I’m done with those for this week.

2 Likes

Not really about the story but, I find it kinda funny that they’ll use 中途半端, but then write 途中 as とちゅう

2 Likes
Chapter 1 thoughts

I can’t help but already feel disappointed in this volume because it seems like Aunt Aiko is going to take an even more of a backseat in this volume considering the accident. On the upside, I’m glad this chapter doesn’t start immediately with bullying problems. I want to say it will be interesting to see how Hanabi and Tina deal with adjusting to Saki living with them, but I have no particular interest towards Saki. I guess she wasn’t made into an interesting enough character to care before, but I do hope this volume changes that.

Also, please continue chapter 2 of volume 3 discussion from here!

Participation Poll

• I’m reading along

0 voters

1 Like

This chapter (2) spells trouble, and in more ways than one: considering how the last volume went, I have kind of a bad feeling about this one… With Yayako working at Yoru Café now, and especially with Ryouma knowing and having a good impression of her… Despite Kurahashi-sensei having been bullied as a kid too, I don’t exactly trust her anymore to handle bully-victim or abuser-victim relationships well. Much less someone finding out that a kouhai he has a favorable impression of is actually a nasty, spiteful little witch who’s bullying two of his friends. I kind of have an idea of how I’d have Ryouma handle it, considering how he handled the two kids from vol 2 and how much he likes all three of the girls, but I’m kind of afraid Kurahashi will treat it more lightly. I mean, that bad feeling is only vague for now, and I hope it’s for nothing, but. Yeah. There are definitely ways this book could go wrong with this, and the author doesn’t exactly have the greatest track record.

2 Likes

I’ve read some of chapter 1 but since I’m barely keeping up with the main book club, I’m going to have to drop this series for now. I really hope to get back to it during the holidays though, I may take a break from the main club later too just to catch up as much as I can, because the first 2 volumes were honestly very fun.
For now, thank you again @Hantsuki for managing the club, and I’ll be back!

3 Likes
Chapter 2 Thoughts

I’m afraid to say I had a feeling something like this would happen. Yayako is the prime antagonist and what essentially motivated Hanabi to stay with her aunt and start Yoru Cafe. It was only a matter of time before we explore Yayako’s character more. I just hope it’s done in a more tasteful manner than “and then we all just got along, the end!”

@HaydenAscot Aw, we’re sorry to hear that! If you change your mind, we’ll all be happy to have you again! Even if you just need something from the group, just ask! :blush:

According to our schedule, we should be starting chapter 3 this week! Feel free to start discussion on this chapter after this post. You’re always welcome to comment on the previous chapters as well!

Chapter 3 Participation Poll
  • I’m reading along

0 voters

3 Likes
Ch 3 thoughts

I sure hope none of those kids are picky eaters, because letting everyone put whatever they want in gyouza and then steaming them all together with no regard for who made what or what’s in each one is uhhhh not a good idea. Half of that stuff I wouldn’t eat (or would only eat when made a certain way, etc.), and I would not be a happy camper if I got stuck with any other than the ones I made. Sure it’s played for humor when Hanabi ends up getting Ryouma’s nattou & chocolate one which isn’t nearly as good as he claims it will be, but it could definitely be trouble if there was, say, a kid who hates the texture of corn who ended up with one with corn in it. But then, no one ever thinks of neurodivergent kids (or they just think we need to suck it up and eat it anyway, no matter how akin to torture it is, or else just starve. No one takes sensory issues seriously, especially when it comes to food, even with children. Heck, people don’t even take food allergies seriously).

It does not surprise me in the slightest that Nacchan and Yayako get along.

Also does not surprise me that Yayako would act innocent in forgetting about the soup. She’s working here too now, she ain’t faultless. Even though she’s surely playing with fire, I still enjoyed Tina calling her out on it. Unfortunately, I’m sure she won’t get away with it, though, except for as long as Ryouma’s around. Yayako ain’t gonna do anything to risk showing her true colors to Ryouma and having him hate her.

It’s funny Ryouma would bring up the bathroom incident from last volume. The culprits were Yayako (his precious kouhai) and her cronies, and the victim was Hanabi (his precious friend). I wonder how long Hanabi and Tina are gonna keep him in the dark about how awful Yayako is to them.

2 Likes

Feel free to start discussion for chapter 4!

Chapter 4 Participation Poll
  • I’m reading along

0 voters

ch 4

Aiko-san finds it amusing that Yayako is working at the café now, is happy that the girl who’s tormented Hanabi for years and turned her sights on Tina as well at the start of the school year is now a staff member?? “How thrilling, it’s just like a drama!” Uh… how about you show more concern for her two victims in your care. It’s not as if you don’t know. wtf

You don’t have to baby them or anything, just, don’t brush off their feelings. Acknowledge them, and tell them that as long as Yayako’s working at the café, they still have to try their best to get along with her, and stuff like that. How hard is that to do? Has her tumor taken away her capacity for empathy?

Just because they’re kids doesn’t make their feelings any less valid, and aside from that, bullying/abuse is always serious, why the hell would you act like that to victims of it, particularly ones you allegedly care about?

1 Like

Feel free to start discussion for chapter 5!

Chapter 5 Participation Poll
  • I’m reading along

0 voters

1 Like

I’m just going to skip chapters 3-4 because I’d rather not remember them, lol.

Chapter 5 Thoughts

Hanabi gets her bookly sage advice, and this time it’s not from Aunt Aiko but from Ryoma! To be honest, I thought this chapter was going to be about breaking the news about Yayako to Ryoma, but this chapter turned a little heartwarming instead and was reminiscent of the first book with Yamato comforting Hanabi. When was the last time we heard about him by the way?

I’m going to stay positive that Aunt Aiko’s surgery will go well and the author likes to keep things light-hearted so she shouldn’t be killing off any of her characters but I’ll probably stop reading if the unthinkable happens…

1 Like

Spoiler warning and apologies for the black humour.

Maybe her misplaced optimism is due to the brain tumour? :anguished:

2 Likes

lol I was thinking the same thing

2 Likes

Feel free to discuss chapter 6 from here out!

Chapter 6 Participation Poll
  • I’m reading along

0 voters

Finally got myself to read ch 5 and 6. I’d meant to read them in a day or two, but I’ve been really tired lately, so it stretched out over most of the week…

I don’t have much to say about them, except that I thought ch 5 was cute and quite liked it, but then 6 a little less so again. I’m glad the book’s more than halfway over tbh

2 Likes

Please continue chapter 7 discussion from here~

Chapter 7 Participation Poll
  • I’m reading along

0 voters

Ch 7 thoughts:

So, if I’m understanding this correctly… Yayako sees Hanabi as pathetic, so she thinks she must be pretending to be a good kid, therefore she hates and is jealous of her for people liking her, so she started bullying her to make sure that all those people would leave and Hanabi would have no one?

She probably wasn’t playing innocent when Tina (and Hanabi) confronted her at the end of the chapter about whatever she must have said to Yamato. She probably does see herself as faultless. “She just got what was coming for her, all I did was speed it along.”

And oh, gods, I really hope we’re not supposed to feel sorry for her now that we know her mother abuses her. That doesn’t give her a free pass to go abusing others as she pleases. She had a choice to either become like her mother or to do better, and she chose wrong. Of course, she can always choose differently later on and start trying to do better then (and of course, that does not mean Hanabi, Tina, or any of her other victims are obligated to forgive her or anything—she’s not entitled to anyone giving her a second chance). I do not feel sorry for her. It justifies squat.

I was gonna say I don’t get why Hanabi would immediately go to see Aiko after the confrontation, when Aiko said to her face that she finds her being forced to work with her bully to be Grade-A entertainment, but… Aiko’s always been a steady support for her—it’s only recently that she’s stopped showing empathy—so she still sees her as such. 強くて、大らかで、よりかかってもたおれない大きくて太い木のような愛子さん. And on top of that, she fears she might lose her. So, yeah, I get it. If that lapse in character doesn’t prove to just be because of the tumor, then I’ll think she needs a better family, but I get it.

4 Likes

Feel free to start posting chapter 8 content and discussion from here :slightly_smiling_face:

Chapter 8 Participation Poll
  • I’m reading along

0 voters

I finally caught up :sweat_smile:

Chapter 7 Thoughts

I might be the outlier, but this was the most enjoyable chapter for me because Hanabi got upset enough to lash out and speak her mind against Yayako.

And the way she threw what Yayako said about her back to her face gives me hope that we’re not supposed to just ignore all the hell she put Hanabi through. She called her out for her faults, that she’s weaker than she claims Hanabi to be because she’s not only acting alone, but she pulls other people into her charades to look bigger.

We get a peek into Yayako’s home situation via Shota’s comment, but I don’t see it as “let’s give her a free pass because her life is hard.” But here’s another example of a troubled child who does belong with the others in Yoru Cafe, なかま so to speak. She’s obviously not going to be welcomed as easily as the others, but that’s the issue they have to overcome.

Anyway, we’ve seen various characters with their own family problems, and we’ve seen how they handle it. Some shut off like Hanabi, some find a positive outlet like Yamato, and others try to stay tough like both Tina and Yayako. The difference between the latter two is Tina’s family problems are out for the world to see so she tries not to stand out and just skips school.

Yayako is tired of feeling like she has no control over being abused, so having a group of followers who essentially follow her orders makes her feel powerful and makes it easier to live through another day. That isn’t to say what she’s doing is right, but her annoyance of Hanabi seems to stem from her inability to do anything by herself and having genuine friends that stand up for her. Yayako doesn’t have anyone like that from what we see besides her brother, so she’s jealous of Hanabi.

As for the Yamato fiasco, I was thinking that it wasn’t Yayako that made him act weird. Why would he have any reason to believe her anyway? I think he was a little disappointed by Tina’s upgrade because he likes Hanabi for who she is. Then again the expression he made in the art seemed a little strong to be just that.

3 Likes