地縛少年花子くん | Week 1 Discussion 🚽

Summary

ったら after someone’s name can indicate exasperation. So, I think she might just be saying something like “Geeze, Hanako-san!” for that part.

2 Likes
my take

そんなわけない → “it’s not like that!”
じゃない! → looks like a negative, but here it’s really a kind of meaningless softener, like ね or な or “isn’t it”. Which is confusing, I know, but it is what it is, isn’t it!

やだなーもー花子さんったら!
This part I’m a bit less sure on, but I think she’s responding with disgust to either Hanako’s suggestion that she’s so fickle anyone will do for her, or the implication from what he said that Hanako would do… or both. With probably the ったら meaning jamane mentioned thrown in.
I’m not sure I can translate what’s going on literally, but it sounds to me like roughly “yuck, that’s enough! …Sheesh!”

4 Likes

I think its probably just a cutesy way of saying “you know it’s not like that hanako-san” emphasis on the cutesy part.

そんなわけないじゃない!‘やだなーもー’ >>>>expressing exasperation. The elongation of the も is kind of like how you’d speak to a child. It makes the expression more musical and whimsical, a bit cutesy, and simple. 花子さんったら>>>>>>>no clue how to make this make sense from a grammar point of view but it basically does the same thing as the elongation of も. All in all she’s talking in a way that makes it seem like she’s talking to a kid (which hanako is from her point of view) and is like a soft reprimand if that makes any sense. The voice acting from the anime should give you a better sense of the tone of the scene.

Hopes this helps

4 Likes

I’ve read all the way up to the latest volume. The anime adapts the manga very well, but there are some parts that are a bit reshuffled. The first volume i think is basically the same but starting volume 5 and 6 its different. They didn’t adapt volume 5 and 6 and instead went straight for volume 7. I don’t blame them tho, that arc would have made it impossible to satisfyingly end the season with only one cour.

2 Likes

Yeah I heard it too. The manga is so cute though so I wanted to read it. Manga always has move details too sooo…

Also a nice Japanese practice

1 Like

Just finished the chapter

Edit: taking out a spoiler for the end of the chapter since I didn’t realise we weren’t doing the full chapter this week - leaving the rest but will likely repost come the next discussion thread

Couple of things to clear up:

Page 26

「俺を呼ぶヒトも呼べるヒトもなかなか少なくてさ」
Little confused as to what’s being said here - I’m thinking it’s “There aren’t many people who summon me or been able to summon me” but I’m not sure how much sense that makes. It’s explaining that he’s a beginner, so it does follow roughly, at least?

Page 29

This is more just checking I understood the explanation correctly, and not necessarily breaking it down:
So someone who swallows a scale from the same mermaid, in exchange for a terrible curse, will have their fate strongly tied (to that of the other person)?

1 Like

Just as a heads up this week’s reading only went to page 23–next week we’ll finish the chapter. Nothing wrong with reading ahead though! Just be careful of spoilers because people only expect to see details from this week’s reading in this thread.

3 Likes

Ah right, I didn’t notice haha, thought it was all of chapter 1 - everything there should be marked clearly enough to make the spoiler level clear at least though

For what it’s worth I don’t have context yet but from the sentence alone I agree with your interpretation on page 26 (with the small difference that I’d replace “been able” with “are able”. Minor nuance but it might help a bit?)

1 Like

I think you’ve got it right on both counts, anyway :slight_smile:

Maybe phrasing the page 26 one in English as something like ~“there haven’t been that many people who summon me or who even could summon me” would make it clearer? but I think you’ve got it anyhow.

1 Like

That does make sense, I’d forgotten about that other meaning of わけない - thanks for reminding me!

Had forgotten about this too - perhaps some things I need to brush up on haha. But yeah, I think that’s definitely what the ったら is for in this context, thank you!

Thank you for the clarification! I’m still needing to completely get used to all the double negatives - and when they actually aren’t double negatives, as seen in this case haha

And yeah that sounds pretty accurate I think. Based on my knowledge and the responses my question has received, that’s probably about right!

Yeah, that first point makes quite a lot of sense. It really helps to think about how they view the person they’re talking to so you can consider the type of language they’d use - thank you for the tip!

And yeah it’s been a while since I’ve seen the anime haha. Perhaps I should find it again just for moments like these in case I need to check

All in all, thank you all of you for the help! It definitely makes a lot more sense now, and you were all really helpful in your answers ^^

2 Likes

Sorry I’m asking so many questions - most of my reading practise so far has been Japanese subtitles so I’m still learning how to read books/manga. I just have a quick question about something Hanako says…

Pg 21

「アレはアレで意外性があって良かったと思うけど」

I’m taking this as something along the lines of, ‘I think it was good that there was the element of surprise there.’ I’m not really sure I’m right though, so could somebody possibly correct me if I’m not?

But the main thing I wanted to ask about was the 「アレはアレ」. I’m just not really sure what it means. The only things I can think of are ‘There, there,’ as in when somebody comforts someone, but I don’t know if that would be too literal a translation of the ‘there’, and the second possibility is ‘here and there’, but there isn’t really much of a ‘here and there’ to refer to it seems so I’m not really sure.

Could somebody please help me out a little? Thank you!

Edit: Also, when Hanako says 「切り替えてこ」, what is the こ for? Is it short for こと?

4 Likes

It’s actually great that ur asking questions. You’re helping urself learn and probably others too so its fine. :grin:
I think what hanako is referring to here is that アレ referring to the plan became アレ meaning a 珍事件. He’s basically saying that it’s actually good that the plan turned out the way it is.

As for the 切り替えてこ he’s basically saying let’s get over it/ switch gears and move to the next plan. The こ here is the let’s, it’s the invitation to to the 切り替えて

Hope this helps

5 Likes

I agree with z3aabi’s interpretations. To expand a bit, here’s my attempt at a breakdown of アレはアレで:

アレは as for the plan
アレで the condition of the plan becoming a 珍事件

Or, shortened, “the plan being in that condition”, or, “be that as it may”. It’s kind of confusing but hopefully this helps. Maybe it’s easier to think of it as a set phrase meaning “be that as it may” or “that being how it is”.

And I’m pretty sure the こ here is a shortening of いこう, which is where the “let’s” comes from.

7 Likes

@z3aabi @jhol613 Thank you! The こ meaning いこう/let’s go makes perfect sense, surprised I didn’t realise haha

And thank you for explaining アレはアレで! Jhol, your explanation really helped. I think I understand it a bit better now ^^

Thank you again!

3 Likes

This artstyle’s dam kyuuto, lemme teh’ya wat. My HNNGes are HNNNGGing.

hee

Grammar question: can verbs being used as modifiers take their own particles? Like here: 何か一つを代償に呼び出した者の願いを叶える
The first を and the に, they’re both part of 呼び出した, right? Then that ties up with 者の願い which becomes the whole object. If so, that’d explain a lot of my confusion at the start.

There was this beast of a sentence at the end of pg. 17 that took me a while to get through, I'd like to know if I got it right:

でも前も同じになるかはやってみなきゃわかんないってどーせ大して接点もないんだろうし
Would it be be something like “but, as much as before, I doubt it will become the same; you don’t know how things will be when you go and try, because I don’t think you have much common ground”?

There might something funky going on with やってみる and なければ that eludes me, that’s the part I’m least sure of.
Is the って after わかんない bundling up everything before it? ないって makes me think it’s ないと言う, but I still don’t know if it covers everything up to 前も. I believe it is, because then the topic under かは would be modifying the adjacent topic under って and that sounds weird to me.

Edit: oops, did not mean to reply.

4 Likes

Yep! I’d maybe phrase it more as like they’re part of the dependent clause that ends in 呼び出した, but yeah - verb phrases modifying nouns can basically be entire long sentences (and it happens a lot more frequently and more gracefully than English “the X that was blah blah blah” equivalents)

My breakdown of this

でも 前も それで。。。 → ~ but… before that, well… (he’s transitioning from planning to addressing a concern first)
同じになるかはやってみなきゃわかんない → “you won’t know if the same thing will happen or not unless you try” (同じになるか is the topic, やってみなきゃ = without trying, わかんない = you won’t know)
って → pretty much “bundling everything up”, as you say, although not up to the 前も I’d say, just up to the start of what’s in that word balloon with 同じ – as a side tip: be conscious of the word balloon structure when reading manga! They tell a lot more about the structure of the sentence than it seems like at first. (Linebreaks too)
Anyway I think he’s just using this as a tail for that stuff because it’s the kind of advice people say a lot, so it fits.
It’s confusing because it makes it sound a bit like in the next balloon he’s negating all that stuff he just said, but I think it’s just a final って like “they say” or just “you know”, not one that works like a subject marker. (the ど-せ and word balloon change reinforce this)
And so the last balloon reinforces that idea with an example reason (with し)
どーせ 接点もないんだろうし → ~ “after all, you it’s not like you’ve really interacted with him at all, for one”

So all told:
(roughly)
“But… before that… You can’t say the same thing will happen again unless you try again, you know? After all, it’s not like you’ve had much real contact with him.”
(this leads into his next page of dialogue about how push comes to shove he wants to help her since she’s がんばる’d, I think. To be honest I’ve wavered back and forth a bit on the whole thing. It’s pretty complicated!)

Does that help?

Don’t worry, all those “must/must not” variations take a long time to get used to. :slight_smile: And while this isn’t exactly the same thing, it’s certainly in the ballpark.
やってみなければならない would mean “must try”
やってみなきゃいけない would also mean “must try”
やってみなきゃ alone would just mean “must try” (with an implied いけない)
and so
やってみなきゃ分かんない is similar but instead of being like “if don’t try… that’s bad” that makes it “must”, it’s just “if don’t try won’t understand”
so you’ve got to give it a shot to know the answer to the か question posed earlier in the topic.

6 Likes

It makes sense that it’d be “won’t know if you don’t try”, I glossed over the fact that that れば is attached to a ない。
I will have to be more conscious of whether ってs are a “general” quote or a topic, though I imagine it’s not binary, and be conscious of context in general really, it’s made me mistake the subject more than a few times.
I’m sure that balloon structure tip will help me understand better and think in larger terms than just sentence per sentence, thank you.

1 Like

Don’t wanna be pushy but is @Radish8 setting up the new threads each week? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Yup! He linked to the week two thread in a comment on the club home thread, but I think he was having internet issues or something so he forgot to link it in the home page and week-one main posts.

2 Likes