地縛少年花子くん (Toilet Bound Hanako-kun) | Volume 4 Reading

Welcome to 地縛少年花子くん :toilet: Volume 4

This is the fourth volume of 地縛少年花子くん. The First volume was read as part of the Beginner Book club. You can find the original post for the book club here:

Beginner Book Club Hanako home thread

This isn’t exactly an official off-shoot club, more like a relaxed thread where people who decide to continue the series can discuss and ask question on the book. There is no strict schedule so feel free to drop by anytime you want and read at your own pace!

The Story So Far

Summary

Yashiro Nene walked into the girl’s toilet in the old school building one day hoping to summon the ghost of a girl called Hanako who is rumored to grant any wish you ask for. To her surprise it turns out Hanako is actually a boy?! Through some mischief Hanako and Yashiro are now bound together by a curse of a mermaid. If Yashiro gets wet, she begins to develop fishy properties :fish:

Volume 3 introduced a new school mystery of kamome gakuen. The 5th school mystery 16時の書庫, also known as tsuchigomori sensei. When Nene receives a hint from a mysterious girl, she wanders into the 5th’s domain. There she find out that the 5th is actually a teacher at the school?!! And also that he’s a spider??!! :spider:
In the library, she discovers that the books contain information about the student’s future among other things. After viewing her own book and feeling disheartened, events lead our group of Hanako, Kou, and Nene to split up, with Nene going along with Tsuchigomori to destroy his Yorishiro.

As the Yorishiro is destroyed, Nene learns about events that happened years ago between Tsuchigomori sensei and a little boy who managed to change his future. A boy called 柚木普(Yugi Amane). A boy who would never go anywhere, and who would later kill someone and become the seventh school mystery Hanako-san.

Finally, as the volume comes to a close, Kou and Nene cook Hanako’s favorite food, doughnuts, but just as Nene and Hanako are about to enjoy the snack, a black crane interrupts, and the mysterious victim from Amane’s past is finally revealed?! What a cliffhanger!!

In this volume look through the viewfinder :camera: and take a picture as you cry your heart out as we head into the next major arc! :four_leaf_clover:

Buy the Book

Physical | Amazon JP

eBook | BookWalker | Kobo | Kindle

If you haven’t used Amazon JP before, note that you will need a separate account.

Anyone done with this volume?
  • Yes
  • Not yet

0 voters

1 Like

Just popped in to happily remind you all that in just 3 days, the new chapter of this beautiful manga is released heheh :partying_face:

:sob: I just finished reading volume 16 a week ago and the preview said the next volume won’t be coming till next year and I’m so tempted to go and just read the chapters but i really also want to wait. Its so hard :sob::sob::sob:.

1 Like

You can do it, you can resist the temptation, unlike me!!

Today was a very exciting day.

These look and feel so good that I’m considering getting physical copies of 1-3 as well as every digital manga I’e ever read.

1 Like

I get the feeling :joy::joy::joy:

Alright. I’m caught up in my reading, I own all the volumes, and I’m invested in this story. I’m ready to get serious about reading this. My goal for now is a volume every two weeks, although the lack of a schedule certainly makes it easy to bump this down the priority ladder. @BillieJoeIsCool you still interested in a read-along?

Also in response to this volume’s first chapter:

It felt like a bit of a tease to get no real resolution to last volume’s cliff-hanger. Also, back in the vein of this series’ crazy character-dialects, these fish are extremely difficult to understand. I’m surprised Yashiro can even distinguish what the hell they’re saying.

Also, no surprise that Yashiro’s fish-form is vastly more attractive. It’s all the cute features like the bow and hairpins minus those ghastly daikon legs.

Finished volume 4! The Mitsuba arc was hands down my favorite so far. Definitely both tragic and heartwarming. @z3aabi I can understand why this was the point of no return. Also reading the book in print was such a nice change of pace.

It also took me way too long to realize that Mitsuba was a guy. It didn’t help that I kept reading his name as Mitsuha like in Your Name. I was confused when he said 女っぽい as an insult. You’d think that or the uniform would have clued me in but it took me until “Mitsuba-Kun”.

Also those stupid fish are infuriating. The fact that it’s so hard to parse their dialect just makes it worse. But the murder of the puffer fish was more brutal than they deserved.

I should be diving into volume 5 this week.

1 Like

Looks like I’ll have to put up the thread for volume 5 soon.

I loved how Mitsuba was basically a prickly hedgehog on the outside and a soft marshmallow on the inside. His personality really made liking him too easy. The scene where he takes a photo of Kou-kun really pulled some heartstrings. And those final pages with Kou looking at the picture was unfair play on the part of the mangaka :cry:

1 Like

Ahaha, I AM but I was slow to catch this (I’ve been so BUSY). I’ve basically zoomed through V4 a few days ago so we can do V5 whenever the thread is up and/or we both have time??? I’ll be going to America in a few weeks for winter vacation, but if I know ahead of time, I’ll try to bring the next few with me (6 and 7 most likely), although I’ll be busy visiting family. I’ll be in Tokyo quarantine tho so I’ll have AMPLE time to catch up LOL.

Awesome! I’m pretty on top of my reading for once so I could conceivably do all of V5 this week if you’ve got the time.

Sure! I’ll be pretty busy but I’m sure we can do a chapter a day? I read a chapter through before I put the book down.

How are we gunna do this? Via Discord? Vol 5 chapter whenever it goes up???

Volume 5 thread is now up.

1 Like

The threads here should be good! I’m a chapter in right now. I think it should be enough to just post when we can and keep each other motivated. Hopefully I can knock out a chapter or two more today.

Makes sense! See you in V5 thread, then!