地図 not チーズ. I have a question about maps

Simple Question I thought the community could help with.

I live in Japan and I want to go out and buy a good map of Japan so I can track my travel progress? Any one know where I could grab one? Daiso?

Thanks fellow crocodilecrabs.

2 Likes

Do you know why you can’t get lost with a pizza?

Because it has 地図 in it

20 Likes

Damn I laughed. I guess that means I lose…

1 Like

Honestly, Daiso has everything, so I would not be surprised.

Failing that, reckon a bookshop. Kinokuniya or Tsutaya, for example (though if you try Tsutaya, it’s got about a fifty-fifty chance of being a video rental shop instead…)

1 Like

I’ve seen maps at conbini.

Yeh i thought I would swing by daiso they literally have everything!
Ahhh How did I forget bookshops were a thing

1 Like

Jez really! what stores are you going too LOL
thats pretty dope

what video rental stores still exist 0.o

1 Like

Any bookstore in Japan sells both maps as well as good tour books. I can confirm that Conbini also sell maps. For more touristy/local maps, many info kiosks in train stations also have maps for grabs.
Happy travels!

1 Like

Isn’t that standard convenience store stock no matter where you go?

2 Likes

wtf… I really need to look closer at my local 7/11

Thanks dude! really need to keep up to date with my travels loool
keep forgetting where ive been

Try Yurindo 有隣堂 on Isezakicho 伊勢佐木町 in Yokohama 横浜, about a 5 minute walk from Kannai 関内駅. I used to get everything there.

Try seaching for 地図 in amazon.co.jp, here you can get an idea of what would be available in stores.

When I lived in Japan, every JNR (that should date me) station had a special DIscover Japan 判子where you would stamp your little official JNR Discover Japan booklet. That’s how I kept track of my journeys.

1 Like

I’ll say that dates you. Were you even there for the Meiji restoration? :stuck_out_tongue:

Most stations still have stamps, incidentally. I’m not aware of any official booklet, though that may not be saying much. You can buy generic stamp books from bookshops. Here’s the one I bought on my trip - it’s now filled from cover to cover. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Actually I arrived in Japan shortly after railroad service started between Sakuragicho and Shimbashi, thus I had missed the formal date of the Meiji Restoration by about three years. :sunglasses:

As for the stamps themselves, they were almost always round and somewhat larger. My official Discover Japan booklet was a curious light brown - yellow - gold colour. I certainly still have it, somehwere, though it may be a continent away.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.