出所 with reading しゅっしょ means "release from prison" rather than "source" to Japanese speakers. でどころ means "source"

When we do it, the two meanings have to be exactly the same.
Since しゅっしょ has the meaning “release from prison” and でどころ doesn’t have it, we can’t do it…but right now, we don’t have “release from prison” in our meaning list and I don’t know what happened with it, so let’s wait for @anon20839864’s answer for it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It looks like some wires got crossed when we went to write this explanation.

Long story short:

出所 (しゅっしょ) can mean both origin/source and release from prison. That note from the explanation should have been about でどころ being spoken only (but instead of confusing you guys more, we just removed it).

I also added “release from prison” to the meanings.

PS. I can get these fixed a lot faster if you email them in to hello@wanikani.com. Though chatting about problems to the community is a-ok too. Someone still needs to notify me for things to change and email is the best way to do that.

10 Likes

Should I make an email Kristen script? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Probably :sob:

5 Likes

Just make a script to forward the contents of all new posts in the #wanikani:bugs-and-errors category to Kristen

4 Likes

Also forward all posts of the doggo thread plus all doggo-related contents to my email please!

4 Likes

You replied three hours after the problem was ascertained. That seems fast enough to me :thinking:
And the community is a nice way to make sure random things aren’t sent to you guys (cf @Kumirei’s suggestion).

Anyway, thank you for the hard work :blush:

7 Likes

I was not able to find it in the Ap store.

I think it’s only available in Japan for some reason, the name is ウィズダム英和辞典 from MONOKAKIDO Co. Ltd.

I’m in Japan and have a Japanese iPhone.

I found it that way for $23.99 (USD).

I just came across this item in my reviews and, remembering that there was a thread covering this topic, I asked the resident expert about the first example sentence:

このニュースの出所はどこですか?

“Can you read 出所 in this sentence as しゅっしょ?” I asked. And the answer has a plain “no”. Followed by “what the heck are the learning?!”.

I’m not sure what consensus was reached here on this thread, but the item page at the moment gives no warning about this and no mention of the でどころ reading.

1 Like

I mean, it’s blatantly wrong that you can’t read it as しゅっしょ. The first definition for it in the dictionary aligns with the meaning WaniKani gives.

I’m not saying that they shouldn’t change it, but a native that says it’s wrong is also misinformed.

3 Likes

Yep, I don’t know what to say. My wife is a native Japanese speaker and fluent in English, and is pretty certain on this one. But I know that, counter-intuitively, native-speakers of any language are often not the best people to ask. Still, there ought to be some kind of warning about this on the item page.

2 Likes

It could be a case of being technically correct, but never/rarely used that way. I don’t know anything about this specific word usage, but that’s always a possibility.

1 Like

Yes. <3

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.