End % 12%
End phrase 幽霊でもなんでもいい。もう一度おじいちゃんに会って、鍵を──
Pages 13
Last Week Week 1
Next Week Week 3
Home Thread 僕が愛したすべての君へ

Vocabulary

Discussion Guidelines

Everybody should feel free to post and ask questions–it’s what makes book clubs fun! But please do not post until you are familiar with Spoiler Courtesy!

Spoiler Courtesy

Please follow these rules to avoid inadvertent ネタバレ. If you’re unsure whether something should have a spoiler tag, err on the side of using one.

1. Any potential spoiler for the current week’s reading need only be covered by a spoiler tag. Predictions and conjecture made by somebody who has not read ahead still falls into this category.
  2. Any potential spoilers for external sources need to be covered by a spoiler tag and include a label (outside of the spoiler tag) of what might be spoiled. These include but are not limited to: other book club picks, other books, games, movies, anime, etc. I recommend also tagging the severity of the spoiler (for example, I may still look at minor spoilers for something that I don’t intend to read soon).
  3. Any information from later in the book than the current week’s reading (including trigger warnings that haven’t yet manifested) needs to be hidden by spoiler tags and labeled as coming from later sections.
Instructions for Spoiler Tags

Click the cog above the text box and use either the “Hide Details” or “Blur Spoiler” options. The text which says “This text will be hidden” should be replaced with what you are wishing to write. In the case of “Hide Details”, the section in the brackets that is labelled “Summary” can be replaced with whatever you like also (i.e, [details=”Chapter 1, Pg. 1”]).

Hide Details results in the dropdown box like below:

Example

This is an example of the “Hide Details” option.

The “Blur Spoiler” option will simply blur the text it surrounds.

This is an example of the “Blur Spoiler” option.

Posting Advice
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number, and check before posting that your question hasn’t already been asked. As the threads get longer, it becomes more convenient to use the Search function, which is located in the upper right corner of the forum. It is the magnifying glass which is near your profile picture! The best way to search is usually to type part of the sentence you are confused about, and select “in this topic”. This will show you all posts within the current thread which has that string of text.

• Be sure to join the conversation! It’s fun, and it’s what keeps these book clubs lively! There’s no such thing as a stupid question! We are all learning here, and if the question has crossed your mind, there’s a very good chance it has crossed somebody else’s also! Asking and answering questions is a great learning opportunity for everyone involved, so never hesitate to do so!

Live Readings

The next weekly live reading session will be 2023-03-05T12:30:00Z Join the Japanese Book Club Discord to either read or listen!

Proper Nouns

Feel free to add to this as new characters / places get introduced throughout the book.

Name Reading Notes
こよみ The main character
ユノ ユノ His grandfather’s dog

Participation

Will you be reading along with us this week?

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m reading this book after the club has finished
  • I’m no longer reading the book

0 voters

If you’ve already read this book but are still going to join the discussion, please select “I have read this part.”

Don’t forget to set this thread to Watching in order to stay abreast of discussion!

6 Likes

This week’s reading is a straightforward narration of 暦’s childhood without any mention of parallel worlds (perhaps still to come later in the chapter).

I was surprised by 暦’s harsh reaction after his grandfather took his airgun away. After all, he himself thought shortly before that his parents would not allow him to get that airgun for exactly the same reason (being 2 years too young). Of course the proceeding of the grandfather was not very nice but is this really so bad that 暦 wishes his grandfather to die? To me it seems rather unlikely that for 2 years there hasn’t even been an attempt for reconciliation from either side.

Also what kind of treasure box is this that cannot be opened by force?

9 Likes

Yeah, honestly feels like 暦 is a massive ガキ and so far not a very likeable character. Also, so much about the airgun and I am still not sure is it relevant to the narrative at all :sweat_smile:.

I’m thinking maybe 暦 is thinking like a 8year old brat and doesn’t really consider opening the box by force. Or maybe not yet anyway…

So far I have mixed feelings about the book. The ending at the beginning was to me very unnecessary and it biases the entire narrative. I’m trying to immerse myself into the story, but then keep remembering about the dying old man.

5 Likes

That’s why the heading of the prologue is 序章、あるい終章. You may read the book as the memoirs of an old man facing his death.

6 Likes

And if that was’t the end after all? …it seems like another story starts from there :thinking: don’t you think?

3 Likes

As a mum of a 6 year old boy and a person who loved her grandma very much…I really hate him :face_with_spiral_eyes:

Of course the grandpa did a no no thing, since the parents let him take the gun home, in his birthday, and he was so happy to have it…you can sense a major breakdown there … that was an absurd move at that point. Like take away the most desired present to your little boy when he’s so happy and sure to have it, at last. BUT then he went to be really a brat! Wishing the grandpa to die for two years and also after he’s dead only looking for the key? :sweat: what a nasty little boy. But the mother should have given him a bad time that last day when he went out saying those things about his dying grandpa

5 Likes

I didn’t think of that. Perhaps it is an other 僕 (or at least a parallel one to the 僕 of the prologue) talking to us now. So we will not know for sure until the epilogue (figuring as a prologue, too).

3 Likes

I think it’s an ending like that of twilight, have you ever read it? It starts with what seems like the end while Bella was going to die and then proceeds from the beginning of the story.
Even if he’s going to die we don’t know if that’s the end of our story, and in this case how can it be the ending of our story when he’s doing things he didn’t do before like trying to save that child? Only thing we know is that is a terminal patient but we don’t know what he’ll going to do with his life until he die :thinking:

2 Likes

Is the post at the top supposed to be editable? I wanted to add ユノ as the dog’s name under Proper Nouns.
(I was confused at first when I thought the sentence mentioning ユノ was referring to the Mom before I realized it’s the dog’s name :sweat_smile:)

1 Like

lol. I can add it. It is (was?) his grandfather’s dog, right?

1 Like
my thoughts so far

Certainly an interesting section. It started off with me constantly wondering if I opened up the wrong book on accident, with the story being so far removed from the last part (or heck, the end of this one even).

The translator I used to double check some stuff kept inserting “calendar” into sentences without me understanding what was going on. Then I realized, that the kids name was using the calendar kanji.

My current theory is that gramps did a universe shift, switching to a much less nice grandpa, or alternatively calendar himself switched to a less desirable world.

I somewhat get this whole “I hate grandpa” thing. I mean the kid’s 8. He just pulled off the world’s greatest heist just for it to get thrown away. Though I did think originally that he will outgrow it, and will be quite sad that he didn’t spend more time with him… Then came the “I was more worried about the possibility that I can never open the box than grandpa dying”, which was definitely a sentence that existed.

I was somewhat confused by the passage of time in the second half of the section. Multiple times I thought “ok, so grandpa died, what now”, but then grandpa was definitely not dead, and we had more scenes with them.

1 Like

Not much more to add but agree that I’m not surprised he’d be mad at the grandfather, but not caring about him dying…that’s too much. I’m hoping he’s too young to realize what death really means or something.

4 Likes

I’m on the same page about this kid as you guys lol

2 Likes