今日で一年です。1 year today

One year on WaniKani today. I saw another “1 year” post and one question that was asked was [paraphrased], “What can you do today that you couldn’t do last year?” I liked that question so I figure I’ll just answer it now without being asked.

I’m pretty consistent using languagereactor.com for listening and reading practice. I probably average about 3hrs/wk of watching Netflix through Language Reactor - mostly Terrace House because it’s “slice of life” (ね?). Whereas it used to take me two weeks to watch one episode - lots of kanji/vocab/grammar lookups; reading and re-reading subtitles. Now, I can easily watch an episode in a single 50 min sitting and only read the subtitles about half the time and while I do still lookup kanji and vocab, the bulk of my lookups are for grammar.

I have a long long way to go to get to ペラペラ but today I feel good about my progress. Glad I came across WaniKani.

One piece of advice I would give to those that are struggling is first, give yourself a break. If you’re like me, you might not have much time to invest in Japanese studies - less than 1 hr/day usually for me and you might even have less than that. It can be disheartening and, because reviews pile up, it can be overwhelming. But keep plugging away at it. The way the WaniKani (SRS) system works is that eventually, the pile of reviews will balance with the amount of time you have to do them. It takes a while to get to that “balance” though… like weeks+ but it’ll happen, promise. So, here’s my simple advice: never fail to do at least 10 reviews and 5 lessons everyday - the 10&5 rule :smile: (abuse that “Wrap Up” button!). You’re just trying to establish a habit. That’s crucial. On those days you find more time, sit down and do as many as you can otherwise, 10&5. And get ok with ignoring the rest, seriously. They’re not today’s reviews/lesssons anyway… they’re tomorrow’s :wink:.

Hope I remember to update this post next year… 頑張ろう!

11 Likes

Congrats on one year!

My Japanese is far from perfect, so take this with a grain of salt, but I think 今日は一年間です means something closer to “Today was one-year-long” than “Today marks one year since I started”.

(Correcting anyone is always a dicey proposition, especially with my skill level, but I prefer for people to correct me whenever I make mistakes, and your wording seems like it might be incorrect.)

I’m not sure, but I think something like

今日(きょう)一周年(いっしゅうねん) 記念(きねん)でした

or

今日(きょう)一年(いちねん)記念日(きねんび)です

might be closer to what you intended.

2 Likes

Well, I used google translate to check my work and it’s never wrong! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

But seriously, thanks for looking out. I’m not sure what’s right either… I’ll jump over to hinative and see if someone is willing to help us out and I’ll report back (and possibly change the title if that’s possible).

That was quick… the response I got from an (apparent) native speaker is: 今日で一年です。Thanks again for the help @Rrwrex.

2 Likes

No worries.

Here’s how I’d translate them:

今日で一年です
Through today is one year

This uses the “time boundary” sense of で.

今日は一周年記念でした
As for today, it was the first anniversary

Almost identical to the next one:

今日は一年の記念日です
As for today, it is the 1-year anniversary day

The first version is definitely the simplest.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.