中級 Textbook advice

Hello! I am finishing up a textbook and my teacher suggested a few books to choose from next. I’d like to hear from people with experience in any of them (wasn’t able to find much info/review).

Finishing this week: An Integrated Approach to Intermediate Japanese (AIAIJ)

Suggestion from my teacher (updated with links):
中級から上級への日本語
テーマ別 中級から学ぶ日本語
中級を学ぼう中級中期

I’ll also be working on the 新完全マスター N3 series one by one staring with the grammar book (also advised by my teacher). I want to focus on the main textbook so I’ll likely go through the 新完全マスター slowly.

At the moment I’m leaning towards 中級から上級への日本語 just because it’s the same publisher as AIAIJ. But I’d like to hear people’s experience with the all 3 books!

1 Like

I… don’t know anything about An Integrated Approach to Intermediate Japanese, but if it’s at all like Genki or Nakama, then Tobira is a good textbook to move on to (or, to give its full Japanese title, 上級へのとびら).

I have the impression that Tobira is considered similar to An Integrated Approach to Intermediate Japanese, or perhaps it’s a step up? Will check it out tomorrow thanks!

After finishing AIAIJ, I’m currently studying with Tobira. As you rightly say, there quite an overlap between the two textbooks. For me it’s good because I wanted to review the grammar and allow it to settle in. In my opinion, Tobira is by far the more interesting textbook. If you want to progress fast, Tobira might not be the right option after AIAIJ.

I don’t know the other books but curious to know what others think since I will also need a new textbook soon.

That’s such a good idea to use Tobira as supplementary! I too feel the grammar didn’t stick as well as I hope (probably coz I didn’t use the workbook?) Maybe I’ll review the grammar there before starting 新完全マスター文法!

Are you considering any textbook at the moment?

Tobira also comes with a very good workbook with plenty of grammar exercises and a separate kanji workbook (which I don’t use since WaniKani does the job).

Looking at my bookshelves, I realize that in fact I bought a while ago a used copy of 中級から上級への日本語、one of the books you are considering (had forgotten about it). It doesn’t look as much fun as Tobira, but I will probably try to go through it next. Curious to know whether the other textbooks are more interesting.

Seems that 中級から上級への日本語 is slightly more difficult than テーマ別 中級から学ぶ日本語. Suprised to see fewer reviews on these than say lower level books…

I think I’ll go with 中級から上級への日本語 too (I was given a used copy yay!) They also have a workbook with answers so I might get that too.

I do like the topics in Tobira so I’ll try to find time for that!

Well, there are less and learners the higher the level, so unfortunately also less textbooks reviews.:neutral_face:

Hope you will like 中級から上級への日本語!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.