三ツ星カラーズ — Week 5 Discussion (ABBC)

It’s the meaning “but” (same as in the だが construction you linked to). You will often see it trailing in speech, implying there’s a continuation to the sentence left unsaid. Its role in these cases is often to soften the tone of whatever is being said.
Here it’s not really trailing however, it’s connecting 商品として 置いてた 金庫なんだ to 誰の仕業かこのとおり as a straightforward “but”.

4 Likes

*shakes fist at conjoined bubbles *

5 Likes

Page 36, Panel 3, Old Geezer

俺は店に戻るとすっか

What’s the end of the sentence? Is it すっか or すつか. Couldn’t make sense of it.

3 Likes

I believe this is may be a contraction of とするか (to decide to).

5 Likes

And to make things more fun, this HiNative posting suggests it can also be しよう (as well as する).

4 Likes

Interesting, the question is on exactly the phrase we’re discussing…
I’m not sure I’m understanding it correctly, but I think they’re saying that とするか is equivalent in meaning to としよう, not that すっか is a contraction of としよう as such.

3 Likes

I’ve chuckled at 2 things I’ve translated … what happening…
(as in I’ve found the manga funny, not laughing at my translating… crying at times yes…)

3 Likes

Just wanted to check my comprehension on a couple points.

Page 35, panel 1, am I correct that there are two sentences in the first bubble but without periods? That is, I’m seeing じゃあ これを渡しておく followed by 犯人からの暗号だ. I’m reading this as (loose translation) “Well then, I’ll hand over this. It’s a clue from the culprit.” I think the ておく might be the grammar point “to do something in advance,” but I’m not sure what that grammar would add here. Alternately, perhaps the first “sentence” is all together modifying 犯人, but I think that’s unlikely. I don’t see how that interpretation would work or add anything to my original translation.

Page 38, panel 3, I think ことは speaks first followed by さっちゃん. ことは says (loosly) “sorry, I didn’t follow (your meaning)” and さっちゃん replies with “they thought poop was completely unrelated.” I’m not sure why は is needed in this sentence.

4 Likes
Page 35, panel 1

I agree it’s two sentences, there should be either a period or a comma there. As for ておく, it basically means doing something now so that it will come in useful later. So: I’m giving you this (now, so that maybe later it will help you open the safe).

Page 38, panel 3

I think Kotoha says “Sorry I couldn’t keep up with you”. (Satchan is shown to be running ahead of the other girls when she enters the bakery). Kotoha probably wishes she had been in the bakery too to witness the chaos, or possibly contribute to it.
I’m not sure which girl speaks next, Satchan probably, but I believe she says “I think poop was completely unrelated”. は just adds emphasis and an implied contrast, like there’s a though or but in the sentence. I’m not absolutely sure whether she means it’s unrelated to the riddle or to the baker’s reaction though.

5 Likes

Thanks to reading through this discussion all of the sentences that I had marked as unclear/uncertain I feel much more confident about. As always, thanks to everyone for asking questions and for those who are very patiently sharing their experience!

I’m curious where it was agreed to that we’d stay on two weeks per chapter. I saw there were some questions about it and a poll and only a few comments that I felt didn’t particularly lean one way or the other. I don’t at all mind the slower pace as I’m not in a rush to finish this book but I was wondering if I had missed some bigger discussion?

2 Likes

The cat gives two claps and she wishes to win (the competition she’s entered). Presumably this is copying what people do at a Japanese shrine, clapping twice before making their wish and praying.

https://matcha-jp.com/en/207

Has anyone else been confused whether the cat that looks like a panda is a toy or a real cat?! (I’ve decided it’s real. I think…)

6 Likes

She (he?) does look very passive and toy-like, doesn’t she? Especially when the girls are holding her. She’s presented as a real cat, but I’m suspicious.

4 Likes

It was mostly down to the number of people who voted in last week’s poll for continuing with a two-week pace. It’s very common for the ABBC to lose a lot of readers in the first month, leaving us with first-time readers who’ve stuck it out thus far but could be on the cusp of dropping out. Micki has brought up this situation, which I’ve both observed and experienced in the clubs.

There’s also the consideration of holidays for December (although I didn’t mention this one) where a lot of people may have reduced time for deciphering their way through pages.

4 Likes

Conclusion of chapter 3, and the case of the locked safe:

2 Likes

I interpreted it differently but I might totally be off. I thought that な here would be a form of だ at the end of a subordinate clause. So I thought the whole thing would mean something like “I made a mistake which is that it’s a safe, not poop”.

I’m aware I’m pretty late to the party, but maybe you are nonetheless willing to elaborate a bit? I am so confused how these sentences connect, especially, since I’m not sure what 誰の仕業かこのとおり means…
My current translation: It’s a safe, which is put as a product, but whose deed? As you can see.
Does the old geezer mean to say that someone closed the safe which he had a product? Or that someone unknown put the locked safe as a product in his shop? :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

I’m not entirely confident on how to break down this second phrase to be honest.
Your translation seems okay as a first step, just disjointed. I’d regard 誰の仕業か as an indirect question, seeing that か is not at the end and he doesn’t seem to be interested in who did it, so I’d change it to “someone did it” and I’d probably interpret このとおり more as “like this”. So the result might be something like “It’s a safe I put out as a product, but by someone’s wrongdoing (it ended up) like this.” If someone is more confident in their interpretation, please chime in.

2 Likes

I found this section much easier than the previous, and even laughed out loud a couple of times.

My thanks again for all the great questions and answers and for the vocab sheet.

4 Likes