三ツ星カラーズ — Week 1 Discussion (ABBC)

I’ll let someone more knowledgeable to answer that.
My gut feeling is that it’s not ungrammatical, just a slightly different nuance? Not sure though.

4 Likes

FWIW, I agree that it’s grammatical, and while I’m not positive, I think the shift in nuance is from a second-hand knowledge type of thing with the って i.e., “consultations about things said to have been stolen by a panda-like cat”, versus a more firm “consultations about things that have been stolen by a panda-like cat” without the って, which would imply that Saitou has seen the cat stealing things himself.

I’m going by gut feel, for that, though, so I would definitely want confirmation from somebody more knowledgeable.

7 Likes

I’d say your explanation is pretty much spot on. It’s the difference between discussion about X, versus discussion about people saying X.

6 Likes

Hey there! I have some minor questions left – as the major ones were already proficiently answered by the brilliant minds in this thread!

Page 6
そうだ じゃあ 捕獲(ほかく)ならいいかリーダー

What is this ならいい construct? I tried to power my way through this grammar point, and broke it down like this:

My breakdown

捕獲(ほかく) - capture
なら - if
いい - good

Literally: “if capture, good”, which you could also interpret as “you should capture”.
Therefore, my translation ended up being: That is right, ok. Leader, should we capture [it]?

Page 7

(だま)クンガキどもこっちは(いそが)しいんだ!

My question here is more specifically about the クンガキ. The vocab spreadsheet gives stupid brat to it; but is the police officer really calling 3 small children stupid brats? Or is there another, more subtle meaning?

I don’t know, English is not my native language so I may have the wrong interpretation of it, but I found it kinda too harsh.

4 Likes

Your breakdown is pretty much how it goes.

In Japanese, a lot of grammar goes along the lines of “X + conditional + good” or “X + conditional + bad”. You’ll see いい for good or fine, and bad may be ダメ, or いけない, or ならない. These often get translated as “should do X” or “should not do X”.

For the 「 捕獲(ほかく)ならいい」 portion, I’d go with, “It’s fine if we capture it”. The whole line starting from じゃあ, I might go with, “Then, if we capture it, that’s fine, Leader?”

Typo alert: This is ソ.

Yes.

クソガキ is defined as:

• “A child who does pranks (いたずら) and mean mischief ((わる)さ).”
  • “An expression used when badmouthing a child.”

For a different translation than “stupid brats”, I think “(little) troublemakers” is a good choice.

9 Likes

So that’s why I couldn’t find it anywhere, only in the vocab. spreadsheet! Gosh, I’m bad with Katakana… Thanks for catching it @ChristopherFritz, and I like your “(little) troublemakers” suggestion :slight_smile:

5 Likes