一週間フレンズ | Week 2 Discussion

The first thing to know is that when you have a word balloon with three lines of text, any one of them can potentially start a new sentence.

駅前にクレープ屋さん
できたんだって
おいしそうだね

becomes

駅前にクレープ屋さんできたんだって。
おいしそうだね。

What do you get when you split this into two sentences? Also, there’s no は, so remove the “as for”. What’re you left with? =)

Edit: Keeping in mind that I have not read this week’s material yet, so I may be off, my translation would be, “It says a crepe shop was built in front of the station. Doesn’t it sound delicious?” (Edit edit: Just read this part, and replaced “I hear” with “it says” since she’s holding a flier.)

4 Likes

You don’t think the って is functioning as は?

Maybe. I just woke up, so maybe I shouldn’t be replying yet =P

Edit: Also, since I still haven’t read this week’s material… Maybe I’d best do that today.

1 Like

I wound interpret it as “it says,” since she’s holding a flyer.

7 Likes

It’s me again :sweat_smile:
Thanks for all your help so far… On to a new question!

page 21, 友達とは
藤宮さんってどういうのが友達だと思う?
I get what he’s asking but I don’t really understand the grammar here…

藤宮さんって…と思う? - What does Fujimiya-san think about …?
友達だ - is friend
どういう - what kind of
が - is the subject marker, I guess? (with どういうの being the subject)

What exactly is the purpose of の? Is it used in place of 友達?

1 Like

どう言うのが友達 = what is a friend

どう言うのが what kind of thing
友達だ is a friend
と思う you think

3 Likes

The の is functioning as a nominaliser - turns どう言う into an object that can be treated like a noun.

3 Likes

Thanks for this. Didn’t process that I could use Jisho like this before. :sweat_smile: Totally just solved my most pressing issue (turns out it was just a lack of vocab and not some mysterious grammar like I first thought, as usual :eyes:).

Here was the sentence I was confused about if it helps anyone else :upside_down_face: :

Page 19 - とても人なつっこくなっていた
人なつっこく = 人懐っこい - friendly, amiable, sociable

5 Likes

page 26 (帰り道)

俺以外にもほっとかないやつがいてもおかしくないと思うんだけど

this sentence is giving me a headache :exploding_head: especially all these negative forms…

my thoughts (hidden because it doesn't really make sense...)

と思うんだけど - I don’t think that… however
(subject) + がいてもおかしくない - (subject) “being” isn’t weird/strange

やつ is the subject? I guess it’s referring to (other) “guys/fellows”?
And 俺以外にもほっとかない is modifying やつ?

I don’t think (???) it isn’t strange that there are also being other people than me who don’t ignore (I feel like some object is missing here… or is it “known” from context and thus omitted?), however

俺以外にも: other than myself
ほっとかないやつ: people who can’t leave her alone
がいても: even if there are
おかしくないと思うんだけど: I don’t think it would be strange (lit. “wouldn’t be strange, I think”)

“I don’t think it would be strange if there are people who can’t leave her alone other than myself.”

In slightly more natural English:

“I wouldn’t be surprised if I’m not the only one who can’t just ignore her.”

He’s basically confused as to why she doesn’t have any friends when it seems like she does want them and he doesn’t see any reason other people wouldn’t want to befriend her.

8 Likes

Thank you!

Is やつ=people? If so, then is her/Mijimiya implied from context? Or where do I get “people” AND “her” in ほっとかないやつ?

Why do you think おかしくない is “wouldn’t be strange” instead of “isn’t strange”?
And I don’t get why the two neagtives (おかしくない/not strange and 思うん/not think) turn into just “one negative” (“not strange, I think” or “I don’t think it is strange”)? I know it doesn’t make much sense otherwise but then why not say “おかしくないと思うだけど”?

1 Like

Not quite up to date so can’t comment on your first question, but

This is not the negative form of 思う, that would be 思わない.

This is 思う+のだ, or in its contracted form here, 思う+んだ, +けど.

んだ carries an explanatory nuance. He is explaining his reasoning, I assume from the excerpts above?

The ‘wouldn’t be’ comes from the part before this, specifially the いても. Since that is translated into ‘even if there are’ in English, English grammar needs the conjunctive. ‘Even if there are people like that, that isn’t strange’ is ungrammatical. (Please correct me if I’m wrong, my understanding of English may be flawed. :upside_down_face:)

In a different context おかしくないと思うんだけど may well be translated as ’ I don’t think it’s that strange though…’ or something else even. It depends a lot on context.

6 Likes

Ah! Of course! (I should have known that, actually… :sweat_smile:) Thank you for explaining!

Yes, that makes sense! Thanks again :slight_smile:

1 Like

Since Japanese often doesn’t include plural, in some cases you can think of やつ as being like the gender-neutral “guys” in English. In this sentence, I think it can read as singular or plural, without changing the meaning.

From http://www.guidetojapanese.org/blog/2006/06/24/やつ/:

I think in this case, “don’t have much respect for that person” doesn’t mean “you disrespect that person”, but rather it’s a person you don’t have an elevated respect for. It’s at best neutral on the respect level. For example, one’s classmates.

It’s by context, because Hase is talking about Fujimiya. The negative verb ほっとかない (to not ignore) is acting like an adjective to describe やつ. “person/people who don’t ignore.” “What” (or “whom”) they don’t ignore is known by context.

ほっとかないやつがいても = if there (is a person/are people) who won’t ignore

Full sentence: “I don’t think it would be strange if, other than me, there are people who wouldn’t ignore (her).”

5 Likes

Still behind :pensive: but thought I may as well ask a few questions from what I have read.

Page 17

別に友達として食べるわけじゃないよ

I get the gist of this sentence but I’m struggling to wrap my head around how it fits together. わけ is one of my least favourite Japanese words :unamused:

It’s essentially “there’s no particular reason we have to eat (together) as friends, right?

Page 19

昼休みは一緒にいれるようになった

Literally no idea what いれる is?!

Page 20

もし友達を作らないようにって理由でわざとああいう態度をとっていたとしたら

Not sure what とる (?) is at the end there…

2 Likes

I don’t remember the context at all, but maybe it could be Jisho.org: Japanese Dictionary ?

2 Likes

Oooh, seems highly plausible to me :+1:

I’m completely lacking context, but I would guess it’s the ら抜き version of the potential form of 居る. One reason I think it’s the potential form is because the potential form is often used with ようになる.

More info on ら抜き:

3 Likes

It’s the potential form if いる. As for lunch break, it became so we can be together. (bad English is bad)

@seanblue Oh, it’s the colloquial form? Completely forgot that’s how it works. :stuck_out_tongue: Wonder if I’ve ever actually seen いられる…?:thinking:

2 Likes

Technically it’s ungrammatical. :man_shrugging:
(From the dictionary entry I linked to: 文法的には破格)

Really though, who wants to say いられる? It’s such a tongue twister! :joy:

2 Likes