一週間フレンズ ・ One Week Friends (Beginner Book Club)

Because it causes confusion with referring to “the first chapter”… It’s too easy to forget that there’s a chapter 0.

1 Like

My copy arrived yesterday, looking forward to reading it with the book club.

12 Likes

It was free on amazon kindle!

1 Like

It’s still free on Kindle, I believe, unless I need to update my list of free stuff.

This book is free on amazon kindle, as said earlier, I realized I already got it so I hope I can join you guys when we start!

2 Likes

As far as I know, it’s free on Kindle for a limited time.

3 Likes

Look what arrived in the mail today! I’m excited to participate in my first book club soon!! Yay! :heart::jp:

9 Likes

Yup that’s correct

Yeah, look at the post above your’s

I picked up a copy when I was in Sydney earlier this week (apologies to @Belthazar, as I ran off with the only copy they had on the shelf that day) and I have read through part of Chapter 0. My first impression is that it’s a good fit for the Beginner BC.
No dodgy dialect!! :tada:

8 Likes

Hi all,

I love this idea. I’ve been looking for some reading suggestions aimed at my level for a while. I’m about to order this book from amazon.jp so hopefully it will arrive before the tenth. Looking forward to this!

5 Likes

I completely missed that this is coming up, so I’m glad I saw it in time! I loved the anime, and have been occassionally working through the manga in English. Definitely going to give this one a shot in Japanese.

Edit:

What does the “Text Length” in the top post mean? Is that “Page Count”?

That being the case, it looks like the “Page Number” column would be:

• Chapter 0:
    • Week 1: 3–12
    • Week 2: 13–27
    • Week 3: 28–44
  • Chapter 1:
    • Week 4: 47–64
    • Week 5: 65–86
  • Chapter 2:
    • Week 6: 89–101
    • Week 7: 102–114
  • Chapter 3:
    • Week 8: 117–131
    • Week 9: 132–148
  • Omake:
    • Super-Secret Week 10: 151–156 (Page Count: 6)
1 Like

Glad to have you join us!

Yes, it means ‘Page Count’ - that’s much more clear, I’ll change it, haha :grin:

Oh, thank you! - my copy hasn’t yet arrived so I was waiting to fill it in. I also wanted to check that those break points roughly make sense, but we can adjust it if need be.

1 Like

You’ll probably still want to adjust the numbers a little. Week 1 includes a no-text page (so really 9 pages to read). I’m imagine there’ll be no issues adjusting the numbers once or twice before reaching week 1 =)

Yup, absolutely. Thank you again for the initial work :blush:

Hey hey I’m in! I can’t call myself a beginner by any stretch (I try to read one 単行本 per week) but I loved this show and I’ll take an excuse to read the manga. Just grabbed the ebook off Honto so I guess I’ll see y’all in a couple of weeks!

5 Likes

Looking forward to it :blush:

You can help us with our questions then :grin:

7 Likes

Does anyone have some sort of estimate how hard this book is? I’m mainly worried about grammar – I’m 36% done with N3 on BunPro.

Grammar-wise, you should be okay. Anything you don’t know, this is the perfect time to learn it (in context!) whether by looking it up, or asking here and (hopefully!) getting a response.

On Bunpro, I reached mid-N4 before going on Bunpro hiatus for a while. But I do know some higher level grammar (not too much). I expect to be very challenged, by grammar, by vocabulary I don’t know, and by volume. (Most of the manga I’ve read in Japanese has been light on dialogue.) This is my first time in the Beginner Book Club, so I don’t know where One Week Friends falls in comparison to prior books.

I know there are already sample pages provided, but here’s one from later in the volume. How’s it look to you?

Hidden for image size.

1 Like

I didn’t get much, though I didn’t use a dictionary, either. I’ve decided to try reading it along with people for a week when the club officially starts, and then I’ll see how it goes. If goes well, keep going, if not… back to Absolute Beginners Club, I guess :stuck_out_tongue: …I hope it doesn’t come to that.

Also, could someone take a picture of the physical manga? I’m curious if the complex kanji and furigana are better visible in the actual book (compared to the digital version).