一週間フレンズ ・ One Week Friends (Beginner Book Club)

Welcome to 一週間フレンズ

We read this as the Beginner Book Club!

We’ve finished reading this book as a club, but please feel free to continue posting in the discussion threads (linked below) if you’re reading at a later date and have unanswered questions or thoughts you’d like to share :slightly_smiling_face:

Not sure if this book is for you? Check out the sample pages in the Nomination Post - remember that your fellow book club members will be here to help you out though :wink: you can also look at this rating poll to see what we thought of it, though watch out for spoilers in the rest of that thread.

Buy the Book

Physical | CDJapan | Amazon JP

eBook | Kobo | BookWalker | Kindle

If you haven’t used Amazon JP before, note that you will need a separate account.
CDJapan has (slower) economy shipping options available so is usually cheaper, but note that Amazon will handle (possible) import taxes at checkout for you.

Reading Schedule and Discussion Threads

Week Start Date Chapter Page Numbers Page Count
Week 1 August 10th Chapter 0 - 友達のハジマリ 3 - 12 9
Week 2 August 17th Chapter 0 - 友達のハジマリ 13 - 27 15
Week 3 August 24th Chapter 0 - 友達のハジマリ 28 - 44 17
Week 4 August 31st Chapter 1 - 友達になってください 47 - 66 18
Week 5 September 7th Chapter 1 - 友達になってください 67 - 86 19
Week 6 September 14th Chapter 2 - 友達との休日 89 - 99 10
Week 7 September 21st Chapter 2 - 友達との休日 100 - 114 15
Week 8 September 28th Chapter 3 - 友達の友達 117 - 130 13
Week 9 October 5th Chapter 3 - 友達の友達 131 - 149 18
Wrap-Up October 12th おまけ 151 - 156 6

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Members

Are you planning to read 一週間フレンズ with us?

• Yes
  • Yes, but I might start late
  • No
  • Not sure

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion, please select ‘yes’!

8 Likes

Schedule

The schedule proposed in the OP has us spend two weeks per chapter, with an extra week for chapter 1.

Are you happy with the schedule proposed in the OP?

• I am happy with the proposed schedule
  • I want to spend an extra week on the second chapter too
  • I want to go faster (one week per chapter + 1)
  • I want to go slower (three weeks per chapter)

0 voters

Version

If you’re joining us for this book, which version are you planning to read?

• Physical
  • eBook

0 voters

4 Likes

@seanblue any chance you could work your magic with the vocab sheet? :wink: (some time between now and the 10th of August…!)

Also @ everyone, I’m assuming we won’t want a read-aloud group for this, as it’s a manga rather than a book? Please do correct me if I’m wrong!

1 Like

For the comparison between amazon and cdjapan, it could also be worth mentioning that import fees and taxes and stuff like that aren’t handled for you by cdjapan so people in some countries will have to pay them later(while they’re included in the order price if you order from amazon), which also changes which one is cheaper in some places(since the shipping company usually will handle those things instead, and their fees tend to be more expensive than amazon’s from my experience) :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Good point! Does my update work?

We don’t pay VAT on books in the UK, so I forget :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

No one ships to Australia anymore :disappointed::disappointed: so I’m awaiting my approval for a “parcel forwarding address”、which I applied for earlier today. Then I can order directly from Amazon Japan and cross my fingers it doesn’t take too long for the whole process!

2 Likes

I’m pretty certain CDJapan do ship to Australia :thinking: we have some other Australian members and I think at least some of them order from there.

2 Likes

Hm. I’ve never used them.
I wonder if it’s difficult because of the import fees etc that @Ditto20 mentioned.
I’ll look into it and see what’s best on this end.
Thank you for the info. :relaxed:

1 Like

Kinokuniya is another option.

1 Like

Yeah, that seems fine :slight_smile:

From my experience the shipping companies will handle that for you, so it’s more that their fees may be higher than amazon’s(but if you can’t order from Amazon anyway, I’m guessing that doesn’t really matter)

2 Likes
3 Likes

You’re the best, thank you!

2 Likes

Yaaaay I’ve been wanting to read this since it was first proposed because it sounds so adorable! (And finally something I already own wins something :grin:)

2 Likes

Whooo! Excited for this one.

1 Like

I’m really excited to put in another order for some Japanese books! It’s been a surprisingly long time since I last bought any.

3 Likes

I ordered the book club book today via Amazon Japan today、using a parcel forwarding service to ship it to my home in Australia! It was surprisingly easy to get and set up an account with the parcel forwarding company. I’m super excited!! (Also means I can now shop from Japan whenever I need something! Yay!)

5 Likes

Okay, it looks like the vast majority are happy with the proposed schedule, so we’ll stick with that.

I’ll add actual page numbers once my copy arrives.

2 Likes

I kept reading tbc in the OP as “to be counted” :sweat_smile:

1 Like

That works too :wink:

I’m already getting frustrated at the stupid ‘chapter zero’ thing and we haven’t even started yet :unamused:

1 Like

What’s wrong with having a chapter 0?