一週間フレンズ ・ One Week Friends (Beginner Book Club)

Super advanced notice!

I’m going to be putting up the discussion threads on Friday evenings UK time, so that they’re ready for those further East who get up bright and early on Saturday mornings.

However! I am going to be at a wedding on the 16th, so rather than put it up late (and who knows what time I’ll even wake up on the Saturday), I will be posting it early, whenever I get a chance amidst wedding prep on the Thursday / Friday morning. Maybe it will even be Wednesday evening! Either way, don’t panic and think you’ve fallen horribly behind. The discussion should still start on Saturday.

10 Likes

They can’t postpone it a few days to help out the book club?

13 Likes

You’d think, right?

5 Likes

This is also my first time joining a book club! And once marathoned the anime before, so I have an idea what will happen in the manga :sweat_smile:

I look forward to discussion threads. ワクワクする :laughing:

7 Likes

Be sure to ask any questions you have along the way, no matter how simple or complex the material is! I don’t know your level of grammar or volume of vocabulary knowledge, but there’s a wide range of readers here to answer any questions that come up.

5 Likes

Thanks a lot! I had never studied grammar properly, textbooks like Genki didn’t work for me, so I don’t know my own level as well. If it helps, I have read the first chapter of this manga as trial and I have no problems grammar-wise so far. :smile:

Textbooks don’t work for me, either, so I know how that can be. I gently previewed the first week’s material and it seemed simple enough, so I’m waiting for it to suddenly be way beyond my level in week two :wink:

And if anything comes up that manages to stump everyone, I have the official English translation around as well (started reading it a while back so I can eventually see where things go past the anime).

Ain’t that the most perfect timing ever :drooling_face: Expected delivery: August 7th to August 28th… Today:

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Bookclub, here we go!

10 Likes

Whoa. That’s pretty.

2 Likes

Y-y-y-you’re

I just can’t. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I had a sneak peek at the first page and this is gonna be a magnifying glass job for me, I think :sweat_smile: perhaps we should make a new rule that we’re only allowed to nominate plus-size manga?

Also @BELTHAZAR YOU’RE PRETTY :grin:

7 Likes

So Aria the Masterpiece for all the book clubs?

2 Likes

I don’t remember if the furigana actually are bigger or not, but 青い花 is also a bit larger than most manga :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yeah, I think it’s roughly the same size as Aria the Masterpiece.

1 Like

Oh yes… Photographing the pages to be able to zoom in will be a thing :face_with_monocle:
Damn some of the more complex kanji are tiiiiiinyyyyy :zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

Anyone planning on watching the anime alongside reading? Since I own it on DVD, I’m considering a pattern of:

1. Read book club’s assigned pages.
  2. Watch anime adaptation episode (without subtitles).
  3. Re-read book club’s assigned pages.

I don’t know if it’ll have any impact, but I guess I’ll find out.

3 Likes

I already watched (and read) it, so I don’t think I will (watch it) again. It’s one of my favorite anime, tho.

While I don’t plan on reading along, I really enjoyed the anime. Also, it’s was a rare anime where both the opening and ending themes are really nice.

https://soundcloud.com/kelvin-halim-891206005/niji-no-kakera

https://soundcloud.com/kelvin-halim-891206005/kanade-1

5 Likes

The first page with「セーラー服着せてみた」really tripped me up. I guess I’m just not used to handwriting.

It’s the 10th somewhere, right? :upside_down_face:

3 Likes