ロウェナの学習ログ・(Rowena's Study Log)

@Rowena what do you use to type up your lesson plans? The organizer in me gets a lot of joy just looking at it!

2 Likes

MS OneNote.

Here’s a wider screenshot of what it looks like:

Some other WKiers have also posted their versions:
Chopped’s dark theme here
Eearslya is using OneNote 2016, also dark theme, shown here

4 Likes

I didn’t get any of the Basic Kanji Workbook stuff done (I skipped a couple of study sessions earlier in the week, so this weekend has been devoted to finishing off 新日本語の基礎 第30課), but otherwise it was a good week.

I should finish off this level’s kanji lessons on Wednesday and level up to 27 by the weekend.

Next week’s plan:

3 Likes

Thank you so much! Also, congrats on more burned items! :smiley:

2 Likes

I’m officially declaring this week’s plan a bust; I broke my ankle on Saturday evening, and between how much longer it has taken me to get around with crutches and a kitchen trolley and all the unplanned medical appointments, I’ve not had as much time (and let’s face it, aside from keeping up with WK lessons and, most of the time, reviews, the GAF factor has been a little lower this week).

WK aside, I shall focus on getting caught up with this week’s わんわん探偵団 reading and if I get that done before Sunday, may start in on textbook work to lighten next week’s load.

7 Likes

Major injuries can be so frustrating and challenging to work through Rowena, wishing you a speedy recovery!

5 Likes

元気になってください。 :orange_heart:

4 Likes

Ouchie, I hope you heal up quick!

4 Likes

Thank you @lwier (I’ve just learned that that is a lower-case L, not a capital i) , @frayderike, and @Joeni. I’m happy to report that the type of ankle fracture I have is the one that is most likely to heal well on its own without surgical intervention and the healing should take place over weeks rather than months.

This popped up after yesterday’s second review session and since I did my evening reviews on my tablet I didn’t even notice it until I sat down at the desk to do my lessons this morning:

7 Likes

I just levelled up to 27:

I’m very pleased to report that I completed lvl 26 in 14 days exactly, my shortest level since level 20, which I completed on Jan 2 (I could have gestated a baby in that time!).
Annotation 2020-08-29 192347

I had slightly altered how I’m using the lesson filtre for this last level: I had it set to 1 radical, 3 kanji and 8 vocab throughout, so 12 lessons/day when radicals are available, 11 lessons/day for the rest of the kanji, and only 8 lessons for the 3 days before levelling up. This should result in my levelling up in 13 days most of the time, providing I don’t stuff up the last few of day’s worth of kanji reviews.

8 Likes

I’ve not managed to do much other than WK, but there are still a few hours left in this week, so I will endeavour to do at least one section of textbook work and do a marathon session of わんわん to get caught up.

Next week’s plan:

7 Likes

The original WK stats page will stop working tomorrow when the plug is pulled on APIv1, so I’m just taking a final screen shot of the projections section and sticking it here:

5 Likes

Once again it has been a fortnight since I updated my log.

Schlepping around on either crutches or a strap-on peg-leg (a.k.a. leg crutch) took its toll: by Thursday last week I dropped my midday textbook work and my large evening review session / book club work; I was still doing morning sessions each day, but progress was eventually stalled because I hadn’t guru’ed all my radicals. After 4 days I got going again but it took until this last Thursday to get caught back up on my reviews. I have 1 kanji left to guru for levelling up, and that should happen this evening, thankfully only a couple of days behind what I would like my pace to be.

I see the orthopaedic surgeon next Wednesday, and I am hopeful that the latest x-rays will show I am sufficiently healed to be weight-bearing again, then watch out world! Spring has arrived and I’m dying to get out for walks with the dogs and get stuck into the gardening.

I have added the updated extention script for BishBashBosh and will be doing a review of ALL my ancient apprentice and guru items each evening - the current count is 38 leeches, and that is so low due to daily BBB drills over the last several months.

Even though I like it, I have removed the Kanji Workbook from my schedule for a while. The amount of work for each section can vary from about 1 min to over 20, and that variability was throwing me off and making fitting it in difficult. Once I finish the Basic II texts, I plan to work through the JLPT N5 and N4 books that I have, and will add the Kanji workbooks back in then.

I have the last bit of reading in わんわん to finish off tonight, then I can fill in all the polls Radish8 has made. This was my most enjoyable reading experience by far, as I found that in stories 1 & 3 there were frequently decent chucks of text that I could understand before looking at the vocab sheets.

In lieu of book club, next week I will be finally translating the instruction booklet for my mochi machine and I hope to make my first batch next weekend (I did prep for the bean-paste fillings and then had to throw them out because they sat too long in the fridge after I broke my ankle).

Next week’s plan:

10 Likes
off-topic...?

So I recently saw Azuki beans in my supermarket and bought them because I thought of you and that I could make anko for a mochi filling! Well, I actually ended up making the anko but not the mochi. I just ate the anko with self made ice cream. :rofl: But I still have some anko left in the freezer, so I still plan on trying to make mochi in the next few weeks.

3 Likes

Not at all! :smiley:

I attempted (しろ)あん first as I haven’t seen that in any shops here, unlike あんこ; I was using the recipe(s) from Just One Cookbook where she stipulates that the beans must be hulled (whereupon I spent a tediously long time doing just that) only to then read her あんこ recipe where she writes that she doesn’t bother doing that anymore, she just whizzes the whole lot up in the food processor :angry:

I ‘documented’ my travails with this photo at around the 1 hour point:

5 Likes

I levelled up!

I got in under 15 days, which shows that my review sessions were a bit haphazard (I usually level up within an hour or so of a full day).
Screenshot 2020-09-13 192254

Now to hop over to the Tokyo Skytree thread to update my progress…

8 Likes

It’s so nice to read about all your progress in the months that I’ve been away :heart: Hope your ankle is doing better!

3 Likes

I’m happy to report that I am able to walk on my injured ankle (in a cam boot / moonboot), but must confess that I was rather naïve about how tricky the transition back to putting my weight on my foot and learning to walk in a cam boot would be. I’m cruising now, but I did let things slide a fair bit during the week.

I didn’t get far with any book studies (texts & instruction booklet translation), so will carry them over into next week.

I have kept up with my lessons and most of my reviews.

Tuesday is the vernal equinox here down under so my study times (which I’ve not been following very rigorously for the last few weeks :disappointed:) will shift from 0800/1100/1900 to 0700/1100/1800 - time to start getting serious about having my derriere in bed at a decent hour!

Next week’s plan is the last for this quarter:

6 Likes

Right, well this one page took an awfully long time, so I’m posting it here so that someone else in the world can see what I’ve done :sweat:

If anyone notices any mistakes, please speak up! :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

This page was shorter and much easier, thank goodness.

6 Likes