ロウェナの学習ログ・(Rowena's Study Log)

Not finished yet! I did go through the second case’s case part, and will ponder on it this week before finding out next weekend that I missed every single clue.

I kept this up until the last few pages of case two’s case part. It ran long enough that I got bored with adding entries, though… So it can use any extra words it can in case one day in the far future, someone happens upon it =D

1 Like

Hello! Not something directly related to your log, but, what is this software? I’ve been looking for planning software lately, and I haven’t found anything I like.

1 Like

It’s MS OneNote, and a recent-ish update has made it even more user-friendly for the most part.

1 Like

This is a great software, btw, I highly recommend it.

1 Like

Oh, sorry, just saw it was on the original post too, don’t know how I missed that! Will check it out, it’s been ages since I’ve used OneNote.

Will maybe start a Log too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Didn’t get much done at all last week and even had WK on VM for much of the week; with all the odd stuff that keeps cropping up, I’m struggling a bit to find a rhythm and form some sort of new routine, but one thing I do know is that I should be hinging it all off my WK SRS routine / Study schedule, not dropping WK at the first bit of overwhelm.

I have been watching CureDolly’s Japanese from Scratch playlist, which ChristoperFritz kindly linked to in the upcoming bookclub thread, but I have formally added it to my plan below.

5 Likes

And my reward for getting stuck back into my studies is…

6 Likes

This is tough? I finally had to admit defeat and put myself on VM because life kept exploding. It has been a few weeks and not going to lie, I didn’t realize how much time I was spending on WK until I stopped doing it. And I’m not sure how I feel about that. “That” being a sense of freedom and relief that I don’t have reviews that need to be zero-d out everyday.

Which is not to say that I am tabling my studies- I continue to do other stuff as well- but maybe I need to figure out how to fit a day’s worth of reviews into only 30 minutes a day.

2 Likes

For me the issue has been procrastinating on some non-Japanese tasks to do with my separation/divorce, and some of my stress/anxiety-related ticks have been cropping up again. That procrastinating then spilled over into my Japanese studies.

I was forthright about it all with my therapist last week and committed to getting two of the longest-put-off items done before I see him again, and the lesser things have been swept up in the growing tide of productivity.

I do agree with you about the freedom of not having that SRS commitment everyday, usually multiple times a day, though, totally! I loved Kitsun.io but do not foresee using it again until WK reviews are down to once a day (a month or so past finishing lvl 60 lessons, perhaps).

With me being back to being a student from end of February, I figured I’d need to be studying daily anyway, so a bit of WK in there won’t make much of a difference :crossed_fingers:

How are your studies going?

Oh, and speaking of my being more productive, I can finally post one of these again:

5 Likes

I’ve decided to ditch my regular text book routine while I work my way through the Japanese from Scratch video playlist (thanks again Christopher for linking to it), but will add in the kanji workbook since most of the exercises are fairly short.

I had forgotten just how prolific the questions/answers can be at the beginning of a new book/manga series - waking up to 42 new posts is making me slightly uneasy (i.e. :exploding_head: :dizzy_face: :crazy_face:) , but at least the pace for the first 4 weeks is half that of the rest of the book.

Current week’s plan:

5 Likes

Be careful when going back. After Cure Dolly, reading a text book my result in mental strain as you ponder, “Why would they ever try and explain this Japanese grammar it by using that English grammar?” Hopefully your text book isn’t that one that results in that!

Book Club Comments

The one aspect of book clubs I haven’t yet found a good workaround for is avoiding conversation about pages I haven’t read yet. For now, I bookmark things to get back to later, but it’s still cumbersome. (Although there is the thing I’m testing in the third post on week one’s thread, that I haven’t mentioned to anyone yet.)

I’m curious to see how the amount of discussion changes by then. We have effectively 30 first-time readers. Some will probably drop off in the first few weeks (unfortunately), but I imagine the people who post multiple questions each week will be more likely to stick with it. The most basic questions should mostly be out of the way after the first month, so hopefully the transition to full chapters per week goes smoothly.

My biggest worry is that in an attempt to keep the pace from being too fast at the start, it may end up feeling too slow. Hopefully there’s enough comments throughout the week that it keeps lively!

2 Likes

They will be like that - the one series was all ~ます・~です until the latter half of the second Basic volume, and the other is the Genki series. I’ll worry less about how they teach it and use them more for the exercises, and can always refer back to CureDolly if I start getting confused :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Hello @Imtryingjapanese! You closed your topic so I couldn’t reply there but am instead using my study thread to say that your situation is quite unusual and I think many of us would be very interested to follow if you were to write a thread about your experience as a high school student in Japan.

I taught in a Buddhist high school for my last year there, so I personally would love to read about the other side of the coin.

All the best!

3 Likes

I’ll make a proper post about it all later!

2 Likes

Each doggo gets one belly rub for every correct review item. If that’s not motivation, I don’t know what is…

2 Likes

Please don’t be at all sorry for having written all that here - I find it very interesting, and you are SO much braver than I was at your age to be taking all this on. Please put a link to your thread here when you decide to start writing about your adventures :smiley:

2 Likes

That’s actually some of the distraction!

3 Likes

So, today marks the first time in two months that I have posted a weekly study plan and that I have done WK lessons. Onwards and upwards!

The lesson plan is pared down to allow me both to cope with my review backlog (yes, again :disappointed: ) and to catch up with the bookclub.

9 Likes

Great job starting again! I’ve just came across your log and really like how you use OneNote to plan all these weekly schedules. Don’t mind me as I borrow your ideas :eyes:

2 Likes

Have you started your program? Or was that in February?

3 Likes