ロウェナの学習ログ・(Rowena's Study Log)

I have been a bit distracted with finalising enrolment in part-time online postgrad classes and my non-WK Japanese studies have paid the price.

I’ll be thinning out my textbook studies to make room for uni.

I’ve also examined the increasing backlog of vocab lessons in WK and realised that I didn’t redo the numbers when I altered my lesson filtre from 4 radicals OR kanji to 1 radical AND 3 kanji, and also to adjust to the change in rad/kanji/vocab ratios in the lvl30s, so my lesson filtre is now set to:
Screenshot 2021-03-03 114648

Belated & curtailed study plan for this week:

4 Likes

I’ve cracked the halfway mark :confetti_ball: I’m pleased to say I now have more burned items than pending lessons :smiley:

This past week was extraordinarily busy with uni (so many new platforms to navigate! :crazy_face:), so I did not get any of the bookclub reading/studying done and will need to do two weeks’ worth to finish the second case with everyone else before looking at the solution the week after.

Next week’s plan:

4 Likes

Two of these in a row! :star_struck:

4 Likes

I have been a bit more disciplined this week, especially with the book work and am caught up with both the bookclub and my textbook work :relieved:

I wish I had my uni studies as regimented, but then I suppose I’ve not yet invested the time to make up similar study plans ( :thinking: adds to mental to-do list).

Here’s the plan for next week:

6 Likes

Congrats on reaching level 37!

(I’m still working my way through level 27.)

2 Likes

I’m still around and have been plodding along, though level 37 took me over a month to complete thanks to 2 week-long breaks, but happily this just happened:

6 Likes

I saw this first thing this morning on opening up the web page, so it must have happened as a result of the same review session in which I levelled up. How lovely!

6 Likes

Just checking in! Hope you’re doing well.

3 Likes

Hi! Didn’t mean to ignore you, sorry. Thanks very much for checking in :blush:

It was a rough couple of months, but things are improving and I just did my first BishBashBosh session in over 2 months, apprentice only - it turns out that 4 hours is a much better interval than 1608 hours for apprentice items :crazy_face:

I’ll keep doing BBB only this week and will turn off vacation mode on WK when BBB is no longer excruciating, by Monday I hope. Books were packed in anticipation of the ex taking the furniture, so will recommence bookwork once he gets around to finishing moving out.

7 Likes

Yeah, well that didn’t happen for reasons… I only did one or two more sessions last week, and just did my first of this week, so essentially ‘wash, rinse, repeat’ for last week’s update.

3 Likes

Don’t worry, you’ll be ok with BBB because @BIsTheAnswer !

Anyway, best of luck to you!

3 Likes

No worries! We all go through seasons of change. :blush: Hope you’re keeping well.

2 Likes

Well, that didn’t work out either…

I have, however, just done my first batch of reviews in 84 days :grin: :crabigator:, and now that VM is off, I will just have to keep going. No new lessons until this feels normal again and kanji brain is turned back on, just reviews and BBB.

6 Likes

I’ve just done another 52 reviews, so this is more consistency than I’ve managed over the last month with doing BBB alone. I’m away for a couple of days from midday Tuesday, so I want my small backlog of reviews to be dealt with by then (I’ll be doing WK on my phone 'til Thursday evening, so I expect I’ll be making more mistakes than on keyboard and it will just take longer).

4 Likes

Yay! Another milestone met :tada:

6 Likes

How’s it going with everything?

I am currently suffering from organizational paralysis, and have delayed starting new lessons for “so long” that it is becoming increasingly harder to pick a day to start. How did you organize WK with your uni studies? In my world, some days are just really packed to the point of exhaustion and the thought of doing a bunch of reviews on those days…

1 Like

Sorry again for taking so long to reply.

I dropped my uni studies about the same time I stopped WK & my weekly study log updates; my marriage ended last November but I was still having to live with my husband, who had exclusive access to/ownership of 98% of ‘our’ assets but refused to move out, and then became verbally and later physically violent. He was court ordered out of the house at the end of June, but I’m still having to deal with the fact that he left a substantial amount of stuff behind (he’s a hoarder). I’ve just written another email to my lawyers about it before writing this to you.

Under the circumstances, I’m eligible for a full refund of tuition and no academic penalties, but still need to do all the paperwork.

I’ll be restarting the Grad Dip in February when the new school year here starts, and hope to be close to the end of WK by then (though I am struggling at the moment to get the momentum back after taking so long off). If things get too busy, vacation mode will be used!

How many courses are you doing at once? The online program I was doing is organised around 4 study periods per year, so not the traditional 2 semester academic year of my undergrad. How many hours per course are you expected to need? I do love organising/timetabling, so if you want to bounce stuff off me, feel free (I will endeavour to be more prompt with my replies!).

4 Likes

I apologise for the abrupt crashing of your study log, but I just wanted to say that’s horrid, and must have been so distressing and scary for you.

I hope both that situation and your study troubles will smooth out soon, so that you can (re)start enjoying life and Japanese.

Sending all the good robot vibes :robot: :purple_heart:

2 Likes

Belated thanks for your kind wishes and vibes. Legalities have been getting sorted, putting more and more distance between me and him/that life, so I’m on the up, and a good sign of that is that I have been better able this week to start getting back into a light study schedule. I have even signed up to the ‘fall’ reading challenge, incidentally on my country’s first official day of spring :seedling::rose: :sunflower: :blossom: :tulip: :seedling:

2 Likes

And here I am replying a bit late, but such is the nature of these times. Sorry to read about the challenges that you have been facing and I am appreciative of the fact that you feel comfortable enough to share what’s been happening in Rowena’s world.

Since I last wrote, I also withdrew from grad school!! As I tried to sort out the schedule alongside managing the challenges of having kids in two different school, I thought that I was going to lose my mind. Anyway, priorities come first but in the spirit of going forward with my own things, I realized that I need a completely online program. So that’s my goal for fall 2022, by which time I should be somewhere around level 50- something if I can just find the fire to start up again. This year’s goal had been to reach 40 but with the stress of decision making around grad school and navigating pandemic stuff, lessons went on the back burner and I have gotten mighty comfortable with just doing reviews…

That said, I am going to take one class at the local community college this fall just to get my feet wet but that’s an easy work around because it’s asynchronous. My two real hell days run late in the evening so I think I need to sort of my schedule so that new lesson reviews hit in the AM on those days.

I should just start today and get a move on. :persevere:

2 Likes