ロウェナの学習ログ・(Rowena's Study Log)

I have just had my first page in にゃんにゃん探偵団 where I could read the whole page (p59 for those others who are reading along)! Admittedly, there were few words on it, but a number of those words are ones I have learned in the reading of the book so I’m going to go ahead and pat myself on the back anyway! :smiley::confetti_ball:

11 Likes

Such a nice feeling, right?! Congratulations! :partying_face:

3 Likes

After this morning’s lessons I am now 1/5th of the way through the Genki (I & II) vocab pack in Kitsun. I’m at the tail end of Lesson 11 vocab cards, so well ahead of my progress in the books (I’ve completed Lessons 1 - 5), so that should make the work in the books go much more smoothly from now on.

Annotation%202019-10-23%20090533

5 Likes

Well, the two days since the book club discussions started have been quite enlightening :flushed:.

For a start, I had completely forgotten how very time-consuming it can be to read the comments and questions, follow and learn from the links provided, and look up stuff to try to help answer questions - and this all coinciding with my foolhardy decision to greatly increase the number of pages I intended to get through each day :sweat: . It’s only Wednesday morning and the weekly plan is already blown.

It has also reinforced how basic and fragmented my grammar is, so the decision to set aside all grammar studies while reading the book seems equally foolhardy.

My everything-other-than-Japanese to-do list has also blown out considerably so, as I shove the last forkful of a generously-sized whole humble pie :pie: in my mouth, I present to you my thoroughly revised study plan:

5 Likes

I levelled up to 16 in WK yesterday evening.

I am finding the amount of info posted in the book club a bit overwhelming sometimes (waking up to 17 new posts was a shock!), but it’s not going anywhere so I can refer back from time to time as my grammar improves and it all makes more sense.

My lighter schedule posted on Wednesday was a sensible move. This week’s is a bit more work as I ease myself back in to my text and workbook routines.

@Chopped - how’s your OneNote study planning going? :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Hey @Rowena I’m honestly loving it so far, thanks for asking! Here’s my first week using it, I kinda copied your formatting since it’s so good :sweat_smile:

I’m still trying to find the way that works best for me in terms of organizing, but this is definitely a big step forward!

4 Likes

Gak! I ran out of vocab for this morning’s WK lessons and clearly hadn’t had my eye on the ball enough to not have seen it coming.

I have been using the Wanikani Lesson Filtre, doing 11 lessons (3 rads/kanji, 8 vocab), a number and ratio which I had decided on after crunching numbers but clearly I need to adjust my ratios :anguished:. Once I’ve guru’d a few more kanji and have a decent supply of vocab again, I’ll be trying out 4:6 or :7 …

2 Likes

にゃんにゃん探偵団 has been going really well this week - the second case is much more of a domestic, day-to-day occurrence, so the vocab is less challenging and I have had 3 pages where I didn’t need to make notes :grin:

I’m back to full textbook and workbook sessions this week, and back doing grammar after an unexpectedly long break:

4 Likes

The WK reviews ‘odometer’ ticked over past 40,000 during my evening review session tonight. That’s a lot of typing.

Annotation%202019-11-07%20193726

7 Likes

I progressed to lvl 17 in WK this morning, and to lvl 5 in Kitsun (whatever that may mean) yesterday.

Things went askew earlier this week with a puppy recovering from surgery and an elderly dog taking a decided downturn in health, so にゃんにゃん探偵団 was essentially dumped from the schedule and I fell behind on Genki but managed to power through this weekend to get Lesson 6 completed.

We’ve got property fire safety inspections at the end of the month and I’ve got a lot of work to do to be ready, so にゃんにゃん探偵団 is being pulled from the lesson plans until next month - I’m nearly finished the second case, so I won’t fall behind.

Next week’s pared-back plan:

3 Likes

Things are going much better for the time being with the reduced workload.

The new Kanji workbook proved interesting, with a selection of exercises ranging from easy (done in a couple of minutes) to quite challenging - what sounds to me like near-native-speed audio for a page-long written piece with comprehension questions. All in all, I’m very pleased to have added it to my routine for some real-world applications of what I’m studying.

Back to Shin Nihongo no Kiso this week:

3 Likes

I just moved up to lvl 18 in WK in the last hour. This is virgin territory for me - I got to lvl 17 before resetting to lvl 2 and it has taken over a year to get back to where I was. From here on in it will be true progress :confetti_ball:.

Next week is the last week of my にゃんにゃん探偵団 break - part of me has enjoyed the relaxed workload, part of me has felt insufficiently challenged (how nice that reading books now makes me feel challenged instead of frustrated and defeated :grin:).

The plan for next week:

9 Likes

I’m very happy to say my WK streaks are continuing - today marks 150 days of reviews and 100 days of lessons :tada:

7 Likes

Your study plan format looks fantastic! Very motivating to look at, I’ll probably copy the template for my own use as well if you don’t mind :smiley: Keep up the good work! :smiley:

5 Likes

I added Bunpro to my SRS repertoire last Monday, as grammar is clearly holding me back in my reading comprehension. As with Kitsun I’m limiting myself to the minimum 3 lessons per day (I would have selected a batch size of 1 if it had let me!).

I’m just over halfway through the Genki I & II vocab in Kitsun…
Annotation%202019-12-01%20095025
…(and waiting with bated breath to sign on later today when it has it’s offical launch :confetti_ball:), so I hope to have much of the vocab at Expert or even Master level by the time I start the Genki II books. That will make all the lessons go much more smoothly!

I’m looking forward to being back to にゃんにゃん探偵団 studies tomorrow; I have squished all my text & workbook studies into the 1100 slot to make room for にゃんにゃん in the evenings.

5 Likes

This past week was a bit rough. I managed to keep up with my 3 SRS routines, but the book work slid mid-week. I caught up this weekend on the textbook work, but still have most of the workbook sections to complete, and I only did 3 pages of にゃんにゃん探偵団.

This coming week’s schedule with げんき leftovers added:

3 Likes

“来週の計画の準備" sure sounds ominous :stuck_out_tongue:
Anyway, 頑張って!

Sorry - how could I better write “prepare next week’s schedule/plan”? There are so many Japanese words for plan, and I’m not far enough along to appreciate the nuances.

1 Like

I’d go with 日程 or スケジュール :slight_smile:
But I do like the idea that, every weekend, you are hatching a new plot bringing you closer to finally taking over the world!

3 Likes

Clearly it needs a する at the end to make it a verb.

「来週の計画を準備する」

(I’m not certain if this is serious response on my part.)

Edit: Forgot to mention, I swapped a の for a を to mark the object of the verb.

1 Like