レンタルおにいちゃん - Week 2 Discussion (Absolute Beginners Book Club)

叶実と一緒に

叶実 - this is the girl’s name, Kanami, I think we first learnt it on page 5. It’s actually Kanami speaking, but she uses her own name to mean “me”
と - this is a particle, “with”
一緒に - this is a very common phrase, meaning together with.

So the whole phrase means “together with me”.

8 Likes

Great minds! And thanks for the tip using Jisho! I had no idea!

2 Likes

Page 20

Struggling with あんなに優しかったのに. I think she’s talking about how お兄ちゃん used to be kind, but not sure what the あんなに is supposed to mean?

Also stuck on the たくさんのお金なんていらなかったから帰ってきてよ in the bottom panel. I can’t really separate what the hiragana in the middle should be, but from context is it something along the lines of her saying she’d spend a lot of money if it could bring them back?

7 Likes

Page 15

What is the meaning/breakdown of してきたの ? I assume the の is just an end-sentence particle, and that して is the て-form of する, but the only thing I can think of for きた is the た-form of an ichidan きる; the only one of which I can find either means to wear or to bear (as in bear guilt). Neither of these seem to fit.

4 Likes

This is a combination of する (to do) and くる (to come). This is a pretty common grammar point you’ll used around- you take a verb and conjugate it to て-form, and then slap a movement verb (often くる) to it to create a sort of “I went and did ‘x’” meaning.

So, we have the sentence: 今日ねお買い物してきたの
今日: today
ね: I’m guessing this just some colloquial language
お買い物: shopping; the お is just honorific
してきた: went and did
の: ending particle

So, put it all together and we get something like “Today I went and did some shopping.”

12 Likes

Why does the く become a き there? Why not してくた ?

Nevermind. Forgot it was irregular. Japanese spoils me.

4 Likes

Because 来た(きた)is the past tense of 来る(くる).
See the inflections at

5 Likes

Because Japanese insists on making conjugation as difficult as possible😋

2 Likes

There may be some strange forms like for example causative passive, but on the other hand there are less irregular verbs than in any other language I know.
Take a look at:
English: to go - I went
French: aller - je vais (I go)
German: gehen - ich ging (I went)

3 Likes

Also this one.

5 Likes

Page 20

Good question. Jisho gives “to that extent; to that degree” for あんなに, and “such, that sort of” for あんあ. Now, she is saying “today, again, I wasn’t able to get along with my brother, but ___ used to be kind.” I’m wondering what in English would fill that gap and be similar to “so, such”

He used to be so nice. He used to be such a sweetie. That’s my take.

3 Likes

たくさんのお金 - a lot of money
なんて - things like
いらなかった - didn’t need
から - because
帰ってきて - please come back home
よ - emphatic sentence ending particle

I think she’s saying " because he didn’t need a lot of money or stuff like that, [he needs] [you] to come back home"

But I could be wildly wrong! Thank goodness I can see Christopher typing away as we speak!

5 Likes

Page 20

(There was an overlap between me and @_Marcus typing our replies, so there’s an overlap in responses.)

あんな sort of has a “that thing that was said” (ああ言う) meaning. What it’s referring to is what Kanami said right before this:

• 「今日も お兄ちゃんと仲良く できなかったよ…」
  • English: “Brother and I weren’t able to get along today, either.”

I can’t think of a proper way to explain the usage of に here, so I’ll avoid trying (don’t want to make things confusing). Instead, I’ll note that J-to-E dictionaries give あんなに as being an expression meaning “to that extent”. The “that” again is referring to to what was just said. I might very loosely translate it as “that’s the situation” or “it’s reached that point” depending on context.

• 「あんなに 優しかったのに」
  • English: “That’s how things are, even though he used to be so kind.”

By the way, if you’ve read about the 「こそあど」 words (such as これ、 それ、 あれ、 どれ), this is one of those. We’ll encounter こんな and こんなに, and そんな and そんなに later on.

• 「たくさんの・お金なんて・いらなかった・から・帰ってきて・よ」

I know you’re asking only about the middle, but I’ll break down all the parts:

なんて is similar to “something like” in English. So if you say 「お金なんて」, that “something like money”. (For example: “I don’t need something like money to live a good life” or “if only I had something like money, I could buy things.” or “I don’t need something like a college degree to achieve my life ambition of being a janitor.”)

たくさん reflects a quantity of “a lot”, and connects to a verb with の. So 「たくさんのお金」 is “a lot of money”.

いらなかった begins with the verb いる, in this case meaning “to need”. When making this kind of verb negative, the う sound becomes あ, so いる becomes いら. Then we attach ない to this, いらない, “to not need”. From there, to make it past tense, it works like an adjective: the い at the end is dropped, and かった is attached. “did not need money”

から is like “because” in English. “Because of what I said before から, that’s why I say the part after から.”

帰ってきて combines the verbs 帰る (to return) and くる. There’s a lot to learn about attaching くる to another verb, but for 帰ってくる, this can be considered an expression meaning “to return; to come back”. (I see @olgesalex covered the breakdown above. )

In all, a lose translation to English may look like: “Since I didn’t need a lot of money, (please) come back.”

Here’s how I understood this line: Since Kanami is saying she didn’t need a lot of money, I take it that she and her brother now have a lot of money they didn’t have before (such as life insurance payout) or they didn’t know the the family had (such parents being well-off financially). Either way, in Kanami’s eyes, her parents were essentially traded for a lot of money she says doesn’t need. She’d trade that unnecessary money if it would bring her parents back.

18 Likes

I took this as being like saying in English, “Today, you know…I did (such and such)”. This gives the feel of a very casual conversation. (I could be wrong, though.)

4 Likes

@ChristopherFritz @_Marcus Thanks for the explanations.

1 Like

Thanks to all your explanations the different parts are starting to make sense! :slight_smile: I’ve found this week content much more challenging than the first part.

In page 20 I still don’t understand well the last part of Kanami’s speach in the middle panel: パパとママがいなくなって変わっちゃった。

Is いなくなって some inflection of いる verb? Like a double negative…? And if so would the translation be something like “Since mom and dad are not here, he has changed (unfortunately)”?

I’m confused by how “mom and dad” seem to be the subject but the one that has changed is her brother…

5 Likes

I would say it like this:

“Things have changed since Papa and Mama have passed away.”

5 Likes

Page 20

Yes, they are marked with が, which I learnt as the identifier particle. So, though she’s talking about her brother she “identifies” the parents as the ones who have gone away.

パパとママが - mum and dad + が
いなくなって - this is the verb いなくなる, to go away, in て-form
変わっちゃった - unfortunately (or completely) changed

But yes, I suddenly see the problem… You, mum and dad, went away and he / everything completely changed. The he/ everything isn’t there and isn’t marked.

Thank goodness I can see Christopher typing again!

6 Likes

Before I give a breakdown, I’ll note that いなくなる is one of those verbs that is a sum of its parts, but you lose some meaning when you break it down. Thus, you shouldn’t think of this as a combination of words, but as a whole word by itself. That said, here’s the breakdown:

いる (to be) + ない (not) = いない (to not be)

Since it now ends in い, like an adjective, you can connect another verb to it by changing the い to く. (You get used to this over time through exposure.)

いなく + なる (to become) = いなくなる (to become not being)

As I opened with, “to become not being” doesn’t really convey the actual meaning of いなくなる. It just lets you see where this word comes from. You’ll find いなくなる is used to mean “to disappear, to go away”, referring to people or animals (not objects).

Edit: Regarding the combination of verbs, I’m finding I’m useless at explaining it in a way that fits grammar! We have the verbs “go away and (completely) changed” (I agree with @2000kanji’s translation). Perhaps the parents, as the doer of the verb, “went away and (caused) things to change completely”?

8 Likes

Great, thank you all!

Definetely that translation with things in general having changed makes more sense.

I wasn’t able to find the verb, when searching for the いなくなって form in Jisho, it just separates it in いなく and なって (and I wasn’t even understanding the いなく part…)

So cool! I love how a short form of a word can have so much meaning behind it.

6 Likes