レンタルおにいちゃん Volume 1 (Absolute Beginner Book Club) - Finished!

Are any of the digital versions high-res enough to zoom in on? I’m having trouble reading the teeny tiny furigana on the pixiv sample and zooming in on their reader just makes it blurry…

1 Like

Let’s work hard!

2 Likes

I have the Bookwalker version. Here’s what it looks like when I zoom in. The furigana are readable, but a bit blurry. As often happens the biggest difficulty is differentiating between for example ぼ and ぽ.

EDIT - looking again they are slightly less blurry on my phone than on the screenshot I uploaded.

Screenshot

2 Likes

I just downloaded the trial pages from booklive and I agree with @Micki, I think the furigana are readable! It’s a loooooooot better than Furuba :sweat_smile:

On the start date: I’d prefer starting end of August, so that I can focus on Furuba and Kiki during my free time beginning to middle of August (and there’s Wanwan, too). But I also don’t mind if the club starts earlier (worst case I can always catch up a bit later).

3 Likes

Hello, this is my first time in a book club! The preview looks super readable, and tbh it’s gonna be my first time trying to read an entire manga in Japanese, so
Let’s all work hard! :smiley:

10 Likes

This will be my second book club (after the Science Stories) and my first manga. I’ve bought the bookwalker version and will be reading on tablet or in the browser.

5 Likes

That’s why I went with the ‘I like clicking things’ option. I don’t really mind either way!

4 Likes

I have a question about where to read this book! When I click on the Pixiv link at the bottom of the post, there are free episodes as well as the paid manga volumes. It looks like the first free episode matches up exactly with the preview chapter. I’m wondering if the rest of the chapters also match up with the rest of the free episodes?

i thought this said big brother lentil

18 Likes

Volume 1 includes chapters 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5.

Pixiv has for free chapters 1, 2, and 4, as well as chapters from later volumes. (I don’t know if they switch these out any.)

If you were to read along for free on Pixiv, you would miss out on chapters 3 and 5.

5 Likes

Oh, I see. Thank you!

This will be my first book club and I’m excited to try to get through this one. I haven’t really been active in the forums yet and this seems like a good place to start! I took classes years ago and have rekindled my love affair with the language again thanks to WaniKani and Covid…

9 Likes

This is my favorite post in this thread.

3 Likes

I am looking forward to read my first book in japanese. After looking at the first chapter I ordered the printed version on amazon.jp
It should arrive at july, 20th. So I will be ready to start

11 Likes

Has anyone found a free link to read the whole book?

1 Like

It would be against the wanikani rules to post the links to any illegal copies of the books

3 Likes

Thankfully @coolsday said nothing about illegal copies, just free copies, so I hate to think anyone got the wrong idea! From @coolsday’s first ever post on the forums as well! Welcome to WK @coolsday! But thank you for the reminder @IgorTheGreat; in case anyone does know of any illegal copies - please don’t post them here! Not only does it break the WK forum rules, it is a really unethical thing to do!

5 Likes

True! I am just assuming the only free copies will be illegal.

3 Likes

Yes, you’re probably right!

2 Likes

To add to what the others have said, although a lot of chapters from Rental Oniichan are freely available via Pixiv, they are essentially very generous previews. However, to get the whole contents of the volume, purchasing the book (whether a physical copy or a digital copy) is necessary.

You’ll find this to be common on Pixiv and some other sites, where the author allows certain chapters to be available. Sometimes one chapter will be available for a few weeks only, then it’s removed and another chapter becomes available.

Rental Oniichan was originally released over time for free on Pixiv. Later, the comic was cleaned up and improved, and extra content was created. This updated version is what was released for sale. The original content should still be freely available, but it may differ slightly from the final release, and will exclude content that was created specifically for the commercial release.

8 Likes