レンタルおにいちゃん Volume 1 (Absolute Beginner Book Club) - Finished!

The Absolute Beginner Book Club is NOW VOTING on what book we’ll read after this one. Click here to go to the poll.

There are 8 choices and you get three votes. Have a look through the nomination posts to see a brief description of the books, and some sample pages, and then cast your votes!

The poll will stay open for a few days.

(For those who want to carry on reading the other volumes of レンタルおにいちゃん there will likely be a spin off club for continuing this series - assuming there is an interest in this)

4 Likes

This is my first book/manga that I read and I didn’t really learn any grammar before. Without the discussion in the forums, I probably would have given up already. For now I slowed down WK lessons and started to learn grammar.
I didn’t think to reread but that is an excellent idea and I am curious how much I will remember :slight_smile:

5 Likes

It’s a little easier than I thought it would be if only because the first thing I tried to read before was a children’s book and that felt very hard.
I haven’t chimed in with questions yet, but I’ve been finding the threads so through in going through the grammar.
I appreciate the time you all put into it!

3 Likes

Here’s the link to the week 5 reading thread posted a day in advance as I’m going to be busy tomorrow. Keep going everyone we are making steady progress through this book!

4 Likes

The home thread for the next ABBC book club book is up. 10分で読める伝記(2年生) starts reading in November 2020.

6 Likes

I don’t think I’m going to be getting any quieter on Fridays - I think I’m just going to keep putting up the new threads on a Thursday evening (UK time). Hope that’s ok for everyone. Week 6 thread is up!

9 Likes

No problem!

By the way, I’ve just ordered volumes 2-4 from Amazon. :smiley: I’m confident enough now that I’d like to read the rest! Hoping the spin-off book club continues with them!

5 Likes

This is my first book club. I’ve only been on WaniKani for about a week or so, but I’ve been studying Japanese on my own for about two years. I’m super excited to have a community to help me read my first Japanese book!! Thank you for setting this up. I’ll try to catch up with the group quickly.

15 Likes

We move onto chapter 3! Hope everyone is still enjoying reading along. Week 7 thread is up.

7 Likes

Continuing chapter 3. Week 8 reading thread is up.

4 Likes

Week 9 thread is up - we start chapter 4.

If anyone fell behind on chapter 2 and wants to jump back in - you might want to skip ahead to chapter 3 which was a lot more straightforward. If you want to know what you missed in chapter 2…

Chapter 2 summary

Kanami is at school. Children’s families are invited for the day to hear the children’s presentations on recent family memories. Kanami brings rental big brother, and reads an essay about her day with him. He realises how important he’s become to her. A spiteful girl in class sets up Kanami to make it look like she stole something from her. Kanami feels bad but takes comfort in the fact that rental big brother believes she is innocent.

6 Likes

Clearly bookclubmasters have no need to be impartial =O

7 Likes

This is the first book in japanese I read. I will try to finish genki I in next 1 or 2 weeks and learn the vocabulary sheets. After that, I’ll push hard to catch with the team !

4 Likes

Last part of chapter 4! Week 10 thread is up.

3 Likes

For anyone else reading physical, I’ve been really getting use out of these post-it markers I added to separate the weeks! It’s nice not worrying about where each week begins or ends, and being able to quickly open to a certain section when I see a new forum post on that week’s thread.

The dots are added when I’ve finished that week’s reading. That way I don’t even need to remember what week we’re on lol

12 Likes

Just started reading from the physical book and that, sir, is a great idea. Thanks for sharing!

Although I prefer digital, the covers of this series sure do make me wish I had physical copies.

Regardless, I did do weekly organization as well =D

4 Likes

That has its own kind of beauty :smile: If you don’t mind me asking, but how did you manage to download the pages?

For the e-book:

Slightly verbose details

Since I buy e-books from Kobo, they are in the EPUB format. EPUB format is basically a zip archive file with specific text files that allow an e-reader to know things like the book title, the cover image, the table of contents, etc.

Most EPUB books available for purchase will have a Digital Rights Management encryption applied to them. Programs that support this encryption method (such as Kobo’s e-reader application) are able to view the book.

My computer’s operating system doesn’t have any “DRM approved” e-readers, so I use a program to remove the DRM from the manga I buy. Removing this DRM encryption from a file is a legal gray area, so I won’t talk about how this is accomplished.

Without DRM, an EPUB file can be “unzipped” (because it’s just a zip archive), and all the pages of the manga are images in a folder.

And for Pixiv: Painstakingly downloaded them one by one by one by one!

2 Likes

That’s great! I only bought from BookWalker so far and, while the whole buying and cross-platform experience is very easy, I really hate their viewer. Don’t know if it’s me that doesn’t know how to use it properly, but it keeps logging me out, the zoom feature doesn’t work intuitively, I cannot mark it or do sane annotations, etc.

I’ll try to buy from Kobo next time and unlock the mysteries of EPUB by myself so I can use the tools that I’m already most comfortable with, thanks for the tip!

Hahah that was what I was afraid of =P