ルリドラゴン ・ Ruri Dragon 🐲 (Absolute Beginner Book Club)

I don’t remember what it looked like with the spoilers, but unless the whole summaried section is spoilered, there are plenty of good uses for spoilers within summaries.

3 Likes

Okay, thank you! You mentioned before about using the search function for finding answers through the forums. I don’t mind transcribing every sentence as it’s helping me translate (or ‘breakdown/comprehend’) each sentence, so maybe people can even use the search function and see that I’ve helped them, hopefully :sweat_smile: I’m up to page 15 of doing this which means I’ve almost the 8 full pages done. It’s very enjoyable! I’m looking forward to the club starting :heart:

5 Likes

Mhm, it’s entirely possibly that it’s just my opinion there. For me, I’ll only click on a dropdown for e.g. “Page 9” if I have already read that page. So using spoiler tags inside of question [details] sections seems overkill to me.

No, transcribing the sentences is great, please continue doing that. It also helps the one answering because sometimes they don’t even have to open the book again.

I meant that you don’t have to do

Page 9

Japanese sentence = English sentence

and you can instead just

Page 9

Japanese sentence = English sentence

without any spoiler tags inside.

2 Likes

In this context, is 生えてた using the て form because it’s the type of verb that describes an ongoing action? As in (they grew, and stayed grown)

4 Likes

I suppose for the one asking questions, sure. I already gave my example for one use by answerer :person_shrugging:

within summary: hint or pointing out where/why there’s a mistake, spoilered: corrected mistake

That way the reader can work it out for themselves before being given the answer.

2 Likes

I’d say yes. It seems the regular past tense is mostly used to describe A having given birth to B.

3 Likes

As an answerer: absolutely. Yours was a great example too.

2 Likes
Page 9

うわって言うな = Don’t say “Uwa!”.
Basically she’s saying don’t say うわ because って is the quotation. 言うな is just “Don’t say” specifically the な means “Don’t”

起きたら生えてたの = When I woke up, it had already grown.
I have no idea what conditional is supposed to mean :slight_smile: I don’t speak grammar language, I just understand tara as something like “when”.
生えてた is describing something in the past. the の is just emphasis. てた is simply past form of てる

I hope this is a good way to answer? Let me know what I can change

3 Likes

I’ve two issues. The first being that I’m now really excited to take part but will have to wait till February 18th :sweat_smile:

The second issue: does anyone have a particular method for typing in japanese at a desktop? I’ve never actually done it before, and I think typing everything for the transcribing process on my phone will prove limiting. I’ve heard of an IME but honestly I’m clueless. I’m open for reading/watching any tutorial, just curiois if there’s a standard approach that’s used.

4 Likes

They just might. :eyes:

2 Likes

That’s a perfect answer! You might have already seen a previous response I made, but I understand 生えてた now, I was just thrown off by it being in both the te AND past form. ありがとうございます❤️

5 Likes

If it’ll help people, then I’ll 100% transcribe every sentence. It’ll be a way for me to give back to a community that’s already given me so much!

2 Likes

If you’re on Windows, you just have to go to language settings and add Japanese. I imagine it’s the same for other OS.

4 Likes

Some people do, just try not to push yourself too much.

3 Likes
Page 4

ツノ関係ないじゃん = The horns are irrelevant, right?
じゃん is “Right”, “Isn’t it” and so on. I typically find this word difficult to translate. ツノ is horns but written in katakana.

You’ll probably understand why I translated it this way when you’ve finished the chapter.

2 Likes

I actually got ‘horns’ on the next page, I hadn’t gone back over these notes. I was only posting these as examples btw, don’t feel obligated to answer! We’ll have time for that :grin:

3 Likes

Because it’s like an expression from “じゃない?”
Isn’t it?

4 Likes

You always manage to pull something like that. You’re quite clever じゃん

5 Likes

I’m fairly certain its the ていた form which often (in casual speech) gets contracted to てた. I’d highly recommend looking over ている and ていた grammar if you haven’t before since I feel like it comes up a lot. Tofugu ていた grammar page

8 Likes

Will do, thank you!

3 Likes