ヨコハマ買い出し紀行 🛵 Volume 4

This is a continuation of the Intermediate Book Club reading ヨコハマ買い出し紀行.

We are continuing with one thread per volume. You can read the chapters at your own pace.

Intermediate Book Club Home Thread: Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: TUGUMI・Next: おばちゃんたちのいるところ
ヨコハマ買い出し紀行 Home thread: ヨコハマ買い出し紀行 (Intermediate Book Club)

Volume 4

Volume 4 cover

Start date: January 15th, 2022
Previous volume: ヨコハマ買い出し紀行 🛵 Volume 3
Next volume: ヨコハマ買い出し紀行 🛵 Volume 5

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I am reading along
  • I have finished this volume
  • I have already read the series beyond this volume
  • I have not reached this volume yet
  • I have decided to drop the series
  • I am a tomato, show me the results :durtle_tomato:

0 voters

1 Like

When I wrote “new characters”, I should have written “new characters with hard-to-parse speaking styles”: that first chapter was tough… :sweat_smile:

I think I get most of it after going through it again.

When マッキ says 海いこ, I should probably read that as 海に行こう, right? And on p. 7, there’s an 海い, which I guess is a slurred 海に?

I couldn’t really figure out what she is singing on the last page, though (タカヒロのかってぼー?)

It sure seems タカヒロ is popular with the girls, though :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Yep.

Yeah, I reckon so.

かってぼ apparently means あほ in Boshu dialect. With this new piece of information, perhaps we can even decipher what Ojisan is saying…

3 Likes

Excellent find! :clap: It lists the あに = 何 and it also fits with the region, right?

One of the first hits on google led to this blog post which has a link to a quiz: This is where I live.: The Boshu dialect (房州弁).
I got one answer correct which made me a 外国人, which is accurate, I would say :smiley:. Apparently I’m not even good at guessing randomly :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I got five out of ten, somehow. I’m a 立派な房総人. :grinning:

2 Likes

You have my respect! :clap::clap::clap: 立派だよ

2 Likes

Oh wow, chapter 26 is definitely intriguing. Very much a “wait, what is going on?” moment :smiley: I had to read the chapter a few times to figure out what was being shown.

That gives quite a different perspective on chapter 20 last week :upside_down_face:

I don’t know anything about the backstory, so I’m curious where this is going…

1 Like

Haven’t caught up yet, so my comment is kinda unrelated, but for some reason I enjoy the cover art of the 新装版 a lot more. The original covers also have a special something, but something feels a little of about the colors to me. Especially the title font. I think don’t really like the outlines.

Original:

新装版 (can’t find a photo with all 10 volumes):

Unfortunately the 新装版 is out of print. I only managed to pick up the first four volumes when I was in Japan, so for the remaining six I’ll have to stick to digital or something.

By the way, what’s the last chapter on volume 4? For the 新装版 it’s chapter 52 (“NIGHTBIRD”).

2 Likes

Chapter 31 (赤い水). Also, there’s a bonus “short essay” called 即興曲.

2 Likes

Finished the volume. It was okay. I think chapter 28 (the 先生’s flashback) was my favourite. Some nice writing in that chapter (including the kanji for ミサゴ :wink:) and some nice drawings.

And chapter 26 with the airship was nice, of course, but I already commented on that one.

I also liked chapter 29 with マッキ and タカヒロ for the slice of life stuff and for some reason I really like how Ashinano depicts dream sequences.

1 Like