ヨコハマ買い出し紀行 (Intermediate Book Club)

Hah! That definitely resonates.

I use both Yomiwa and Japanese dictionaries on ios. Both have pretty good lookup tools when I don’t screw it up. The “Outlier” etymology stuff available in Yomiwa is amazing.

1 Like

I mostly use Multi-Radical Kanji Search, where I can find kanji based on WK radical names. It’s pretty quick and easy.

5 Likes

Only a few days until the beginning of this club! HYPE.

7 Likes

LET’S GOOOOOO
on a road trip
I’m so funny

7 Likes

So, so quiet! What gives?

This is my first attempt at a book club. I need chatter to keep me motivated. Am I the only one catching up on Halloween night?

My thoughts so far:

• I’ve only just started trying to add reading practice to my daily reviews. I used to do all my (English!) reading on flights, but who travels any more? I know I like doing reviews with my coffee in the morning, but I’m not up to reading afterward. I think reading this manga twice a week (maybe weekend mornings?) may work for me. When do folks like to fit in their reading?

• 大阪弁‼️ Yay.

• I definitely need two passes as I read this. Once quickly with rough understanding (like my conversations!) then going back through and looking up the correct readings and correcting mistakes. Is this how others proceed?

• A new first: I was disappointed to read 「おちつく」 in hiragana because I actually saw the kanji in my head! Thank you WK.

• Robot? …

• I used to live in 葉山❗️

• page 35: I’m struggling to look up what I presume is an instrument: 「オーナーの◯味です」. never mind, I guessed it (趣味 or hobby is a word I use conversationally all the time) but any hints on how to look up that character in a dictionary?

The discussion happens in the weekly threads :wink:

Which reminds me that I did not post the link to the latest thread, I only added the link to the top post.
Here we go:

I usually read in the evening and during lunch break.

Is there 大阪弁 in here? But they are near 横浜 though? Also, missing a lot of わ.

When I come across a kanji I don’t know, I tend to look it up by radical.
If you use jisho, you can find it here: Jisho.org: Japanese Dictionary

2 Likes

We post discussion in the individual threads for each reading - this home thread is just to keep it all together. You can find the links in the OP.

Think it’s more old-man dialect than Osaka dialect…

2 Likes

Aha. Will now watch those and move further discussion there.

Familiar either way! (Laugh)

遠いや etc. — maybe おっさん語?:grinning:

The radical for 趣 stumped me though. Finally found it (そうにょう 7 strokes). Looked like six strokes to me and I didn’t recognize it as run!

1 Like

Even though it says “radical”, those are not “real” japanese radical but instead any part of the kanji.
For instance, you can see 又 in here and 耳 as well, and that’s enough to narrow it down:

3 Likes

I try to do half an hour to an hour every night with a couple of marathon sessions each week either on the weekend or on light work days. For me, reading before bed is pretty relaxing but reading during the day is better for my patience/comprehension.

I’m a big fan of Multi-Radical Kanji Search, which lets you look up kanji by typing in WK radical names.

3 Likes

Never fear, the next week is here!

8 Likes

So it is the third week already… 0: I haven’t started yet :caught_durtling:

4 Likes

:man_shrugging:

2 Likes

The time has come.

3 Likes

(three weeks ago)

2 Likes

The stars were not aligned yet for @Redglare. The time is now.

5 Likes

I have exams next week :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

The time was actually later.

3 Likes

And here’s the last week of this club.

I think it’s a really nice series and I’ll probably read it until the end. However, I don’t think I’ll keep putting up weekly threads. If anyone wants the club to continue in a structured way, feel free to take control.

5 Likes

It seems I missed all of the club activity, even though I own this manga. Wow. :joy:

6 Likes