ヨコハマ買い出し紀行 🛵 Volume 5

This is a continuation of the Intermediate Book Club reading ヨコハマ買い出し紀行.

We are continuing with one thread per volume. You can read the chapters at your own pace.

Intermediate Book Club Home Thread: Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: TUGUMI・Next: おばちゃんたちのいるところ
ヨコハマ買い出し紀行 Home thread: ヨコハマ買い出し紀行 (Intermediate Book Club)

Volume 5

Volume 5 cover

Start date: March 19th, 2022
Previous volume: ヨコハマ買い出し紀行 🛵 Volume 4
Next volume: ヨコハマ買い出し紀行 🛵 Volume 6

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I am reading along
  • I have already read the series beyond this volume
  • Maybe I’ll read this volume later
  • I have decided to drop the series
  • I am a tomato, show me the results :durtle_tomato:

0 voters

2 Likes

I confess I completely forgot we were reading this. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I thought the club was already done :joy:
But anyway, I own all the volumes now, so I’ll probably catch up at some point.

2 Likes

Well, as long as you are here, there’s a “we”. Otherwise it’s just me :sweat_smile:. No hard feelings if this club just peters out at some point :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

About chapter 32: I’m not overly familiar with the shape of Mount Fuji, so just checking to be sure: the point of that chapter is that something apparently took a chunk off of the summit at some point in that world, right?

2 Likes

Aye, one of the things that modern-day Fuji is known for is its symmetrical shape. For contrast, here’s Hokusai’s image of what the mountain looks like when from that area:

3 Likes

Just finished chapter 36. Not much to comment on so far this volume. There were some nice landscape and cityscape drawings as usual. Looking forward to the next couple of chapters as they seem to feature the 先生 again :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Finally started catching up.

I’ve got some things to comment on. Mostly real-world locations.

Chapter 33: Well, apparently Kokone lives in Setagaya, rather than Musashino, according to the address Alpha has, though perhaps the names refer to different areas in the future. In modern-day Japan, at least, Miura and Setagaya are reasonably equidistant from Yokohama, so randomly deciding to just drop by is a fairly significant detour for Alpha. (I’m avoiding tolls and freeways in this calculation, as given the state of the roads, the freeways probably no longer exist.)

Chapter 34: Todoroki Station is here. It’s not (presently) the terminus of the train line like this manga depicts, but Kaminoge station is the next one to the left. It’s the nearest station to the Todoroki Ravine, which is a very nice location in Tokyo. I’ve been there on my most recent trip to Japan. :slightly_smiling_face: Google’s shortest non-freeway route from Yokohama to Setagaya passes this close to Todoroki Station. Oof.

Todoroki route

I vaguely checked if it was possible to see Alpha pottering past on her scooter in the background of the chapter, but I couldn’t spot her.

Chapter 35: Alpha’s pun on page 43 made me laugh.

Chapter 36: Whoa! A photo was taken!

2 Likes

Great work in the location info!

Yeah, the whole bottom half of that page :joy:

Okay, okay, you are right, that was remarkable :smile:

1 Like

Read chapters 37 and 38 and I have questions!

A language question about the use of 抜けられそう on page 87: if I’m not mistaken, the two capes mentioned in that sentence are the capes on both sides where Tokyo bay opens to the ocean and I feel that the 先生 is saying something about connecting the two, but I don’t see how 抜けられそう would fit… How did you interpret that sentence?

About the text bubbles without text on the pages after that: so it looks like Alpha is talking to the boat and it is talking back to her, right? Too bad we can’t see what they are saying :wink:.

And then the connection is severed, it seems. I wonder if she is crying over losing the ship or if she is just moved by the whole experience.

Alpha’s excitement on page 75 and her expression on page 79 made me laugh :smile:

Edit: oh, and I also wanted to ask about 口のコレ on page 84: is コレ just これ as in ‘this [thing] in my mouth’ or is it a katakana word for something else, do you think?

1 Like

Yep, Tsurugizaki and Sunosaki. The verb is 抜ける definition 8, “to pass through”, in potential form plus ~そう. “It looks like you can pass through the space between the capes.”

Yep.

Yes. :slightly_smiling_face:

It’s just これ

3 Likes

Ah, of course, how else would she reach the 黒潮! For some reason I was just thinking in the wrong direction… :sweat_smile:.

1 Like

Last week I read chapters 39, 40 and 41 but I didn’t get around to posting.

Chapter 39 was a cute chapter with some pretty drawings. I thought the little exchange between マッキ and タカヒロ at the end was funny (ウケねらい and 照れてんの seem pretty much opposites).

Chapter 40 gives us a bus stop sign. Somewhere in Sanbashi, maybe? (That’s 桟橋, right?) Is 元 a prefix for a certain part of town?

If I got it right then the chapter title can be read both as ‘viewing the moonlit night’ (meaning of the kanji) or as ateji for Tsukuyomi, the Shinto moon god. I thought that was nice. I guess most of the chapter titles have some double meaning or hidden joke, but I certainly didn’t catch them all :smile:

And chapter 41: another photo! And it was to be expected that they are more than simple photos.

By the way, I only now realised that this volume is longer than the previous volumes! That explains why the chapters just keep coming :smile:

2 Likes

It’s somewhere around here. The bus stop sign says it’s on the Kasumigaura bus line bound for Tsuchiura, but that’s the only result I get in the area for Sanbashi in any form. Jorudan lists 88 bus stops with 桟橋 in the name, but none of them have 元 in the name, and none of them (so far as I can spot) are in Ibaraki.

… And now I just learnt that 桟橋 means “wharf”, hence the rather non-specific results I’ve been getting. Well, alrighty then.

Yeah, I think in that context it means “former”. As in, the opposite to 新 as a place-name prefix. Maybe?

There’s only one more chapter left. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Ah, you’re right and it was one of those very-little-text chapters so I just finished the volume. It was cute again (that one time she has customers coming by…)

I’ll probably start the next volume sometime next week or so. If you’re still up for it, I’ll create another thread when I start.

1 Like

I’m still up for it. I just (evidently) require regular reminders. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Glad to be of service :smile:

2 Likes

Well, I’m probably going to finish volume 4 today, so I guess I’ll just keep being one volume behind for some reason. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I’m almost done with this volume (around page 110), actually, so I may or may not be following again from the next volume.

From the moment アルファ had the dream about kissing ココネ, I have to admit that I was kinda shipping them, but now that ココネ is getting self conscious about “connecting” to others, I am shipping them hard.
Well, more specifically, since アルファ dropped by her place, and I don’t see robots getting any more physical than that, they are pretty much an almost couple (?) in my head canon.
Too bad, タカヒロくん.

I wonder if アルファ will be able to connect to the big ol’ spaceship (-like plane) and/or communicate with the アルファ up there. I mean, we would expect something to happen right, especially since they have the same vehicle connecting ability.

2 Likes