Now Reading: Volume 6! フルーツバスケット・Fruits Basket 🍏 🍇 🍑 🍒 🍐 🍊 (Beginner Book Club)

On to chapter 10 :slight_smile: Looks like we will finish this book in no time…

By the way it would be lovely if somebody could post something random here during the week because otherwise I cannot announce next week’s reading :scream: :rofl:

3 Likes

:white_check_mark:

2 Likes

I guess that’s one issue we didn’t think of :thinking:

1 Like

I became aware of it at some point, but it’s not that bad as usually somebody will post something anyway at some point. And if not, well, I know I can count on the kindness of everybody to rescue me :bowing_woman:

2 Likes

My collector’s edition is (again) trying to make its way to me in Sweden (yay!). So I will probably get back to reading this and catch up some time after it arrives. :blush:

8 Likes

Almost there!!!

4 Likes

However many months later, my copies have finally arrived :roll_eyes: :grin:

11 Likes

And here it is, our final week:

6 Likes

It’s come around so quickly!!

1 Like

Satisfaction Poll Time!

As we have finished Fruits Basket Vol. 1 (Collector’s Edition), I think it’s time to look back and reflect on it for a bit.

Have you read Fruits Basket?

• I finished it
  • I’m still reading and I plan on finishing it
  • I don’t plan to finish it
  • I never even started it

0 voters

If you read the book, how would you rate it on a 5 point scale? (1: hated it, 5: loved it)

• Unsure / Didn’t finish

0 voters

If you read the book, how would you rate its difficulty?

• No effort at all
  • Minimal effort
  • Moderate effort
  • Significant effort
  • So much effort my head might explode
  • I don’t know

0 voters

Participation Statistics

While the membership count was pretty much stable for the first half of the book club, it decreased quite a bit afterwards…

4 Likes

Oof, the chart makes me sad. :sweat_smile: I wasn’t able to participate as much toward the end due to my vacation ending, but I still always checked in to read what everyone else was saying!

1 Like

I just finished reading. I’m very interested in the story (and I always have been and even read some volumes but never finished the series). So I will probably watch the anime. But I don’t want to read the manga. (I just prefer to spend my money on other stuff.) I think reading in Japanese would have been a bit easier if it wasn’t so difficult to read the furigana. :sweat_smile: But I also think that because I knew the story that it has been an easier read compared to if I started reading it for the first time.

2 Likes

Welcome to Fruits Basket Vol. 2!

4 Likes

Just finished volume 1 and here are my thoughts. I was already familiar with the story from watching the anime, which has definitely made it easier for me to go through the book. Still, I felt like it was a harder read than other manga despite having less unknown words. Sometimes I had trouble knowing who was speaking, and for most of the book I completely ignored the abundant handwritten text because the effort-to-reward ratio of deciphering those kanji was too high.

I still enjoyed it and will try to read volume 2 with the boockclub (since I already have it), but will likely stop after that.

4 Likes

Next week we will start Volume 5! If you want to join in, it is currently discounted on BookWalker (and maybe also somewhere else):

Oh, and if somebody happens to own the Collectors’ Edition Volume 3, could you please send me a picture of the table of contents? That would be much appreciated :bowing_woman:

2 Likes

So if I quickly read collector’s edition 1-2, I would be basically caught up with this book club? (Well, obviously volume 3 have been started by now.)

1 Like

Yes, we just started chapter 1 of volume 3, so if you quickly catch up to there, you are up to date :tada:

1 Like

Sounds like a possible plan. Certainly easier than to catch up on 8 volumes or so of Sailor Moon. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Great! Happy to have you join us :tada:

2 Likes

Okay, with genuine apologies, this is the last time I’ll post this (tonight at least!):

The Beginner Club is currently voting on our next pick!

You should vote :wink:

1 Like