Now Reading: Volume 6! フルーツバスケット・Fruits Basket 🍏 🍇 🍑 🍒 🍐 🍊 (Beginner Book Club)

Alright, all the tabs are formatted and in place! Sorry it took so long!

4 Likes

No worries, I was busy as well :upside_down_face:

Now the weeks’ threads contain links to the corresponding tabs in the vocab spreadsheet.

(If anybody notices in future threads that I accidentally linked the wrong tab, please ping me!)

3 Likes

How’s everyone finding the reading difficulty? It’s my second manga so I was expecting it to be hard, though I’ve seen the new anime with french subtitles.

I’m really enjoying it, I read through to the end of week 2 so now I can focus on the hard sentences during the week.

2 Likes

I think I’d do better if it wasn’t for the sometimes unrecognizable furigana :sob:

7 Likes

Yeah I ordered the physical edition, I’m sick of squinting my eyes

3 Likes

Week 3 is go! And takes us to Chapter 2 for a change :tada:

11 Likes

How’s everybody doing? I hope you’re reading along, as here is Week 4!

8 Likes

I just got the book so I’m gonna try to catch up! Totally agree that the furigana is tiny though :joy:

5 Likes

I totally fell off the train :sob: I have to learn Spanish for my new job and its so hard to keep up with the book club at the same time, im barely doing WK reviews every day

But still enjoying following this thread, if nothing else I can be an observer!

5 Likes

My copy never arrived and digital isn’t working for me. It’s really upsetting

1 Like

Quick heads-up for those who are not annoyed by the digital edition: Bookwalker currently has vol. 1 - 5 of the old edition on sale (50% off as it seems), until July 20th.

6 Likes

Thanks so much for this! I was able to grab the first 3 volumes for like $9 AUD, which is amazing.
Would still prefer my actual copies were here :expressionless:

1 Like

Curious to see how things unfold in the next chapter? Don’t hesitate to jump right in:

5 Likes

With an ever so tiny delay (sorry! :woman_facepalming:) here is Week 6!

6 Likes

As we are getting close to having finished the first half of the book (or the first book even if you are reading the old edition), and as there have already been some discussions this week about running an offshoot book club, I would like to get everybody’s opinions on that, which means: It’s POLL time :star_struck:

Would you like to be part of an offshoot book club for Fruits Basket?

(Of course that doesn't mean you need to stick until the end ^^ you can drop off any time you like)
  • Yes, I’d love to continue reading!
  • No, thank you.

0 voters

If so, when would you like to start reading the next volume?

• Right after we finished this volume (start on Sept. 19th)
  • After a 1-week break (start on Sept. 26th)
  • After a 2-week break (start on Oct. 3rd)
  • After a 4-week break (start on Oct. 17th)
  • Even later than that (please explain)

0 voters

I have no idea about the Collector’s Edition, but I’m assuming it keeps bundling two volumes of the old edition into one? (Please correct me if I’m wrong!) Therefore, each iteration of the offshoot book club would span one volume of the Collector’s Edition and two volumes of the Old Edition, respectively.

EDIT: Pinging @Abstormal @Kappa420 @valkow

2 Likes

I believe so, yep :slight_smile: I don’t know if there are any small anomalies though.

1 Like

I have the ebooks up until volume 5 (so 2,5 worth of collectors edition, I guess?) and would read those anyway, so I’ll be around for that time at least :basket:

1 Like

I’m in, a chapter a week of Fruits Basket has been really nice and not overly challenging or too simple for me. Personally I lean towards a longer break to make sure I’m up to date on all the clubs, but I’m easy!

1 Like

This week we will either finish the first book (for those reading the old edition), or we will finish the first half (for the Collector’s Edition readers) :tada:
Now that you’ve managed to stick with the book until now, the rest will be a piece of cake :cake:

12 Likes

I like when the series book clubs have a small break between volumes, to help people catch up.
Yotsuba has sometimes just stoped, untill any one person asked to start the next one.

Might be best to plan for about 1 week between each old volume. Just to help people catch up :slight_smile:
But we could try go for planed breakes, to avoid longer waits.

If the majority wants no breaks I’m not against that either. When I fall behind I usually end up reading a volume in a sitting, so I know the break don’t make a difference for me since I don’t spread it out anyway, just need one good day or two (I just caught up on 4 book clubs fallen about a month behind, took me three days)

5 Likes