ハリー・ポッターと賢者の石 - chapter 16

Chapter 16! We’re almost at the end! Does it feel easier to read the Japanese now than it did in the beginning?

We’ll spend 2 weeks on chapter 16, April 12-25. The home thread for this bookclub is here .

Who will read Harry Potter chapter 16 now?

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m not participating

0 voters

1 Like

Penultimate chapter!

See if you can solve the potions riddle entirely in Japanese. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Wow- this chapter looks long.

Apropos of nothing, but I don’t remember McGonagall’s 鼻の穴 being mentioned quite so much in the English text…

Maybe I’m just noticing it as one of the many just-in-time pieces of vocabulary the :crabigator: has provided over these last 8(!) months.

1 Like

I finished it! So much happens in this chapter… I think a lot of the movie is dedicated to the events that happen here so it seemed longer in my head. With all the discussion and fandom you forget this is a children’s book and the writing/pacing reflects that.

2 Likes

Seems the translator resisted the urge to correct how Ron’s knight moves at the last.

1 Like

So, the potions riddle is unsolvable for the reader in any book which lacks images, because hint 3 is useless if you can’t see which bottle is which. However, if you do have an image like, say, this one, which was originally posted on Pottermore, you can do it. I just tested it myself. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I hope you tested yourself in Japanese… :smiley:

Prior to the image in Pottermore, there were a surprisingly large amount of analyses (like this one) where people tried to back-work the order from the known solution.

1 Like