ハリー・ポッターと賢者の石 - chapter 11

Chapter 11! Are you able to keep up?

We’ll spend 2 weeks on chapter 11, February 1-14. The home thread for this bookclub is here .

Who will read Harry Potter chapter 11 now?

• I’m reading along

• I’m still reading but I haven’t reached this part yet

• I’m not participating

0 voters

1 Like

I don’t think much of Wood’s opening speech:

「いいか、野郎ども」

Screenshot 2021-02-03 at 17.20.49

Yeah, in my (UK) English version, he says “men”. Jisho has “chap, guy, buddy” as the primary meaning, so I consulted Google-sensei to see if the more derogatory meaning is more common in Japanese - the answer appears to be “yes”.

Though, fun fact: in the Edo period, it originally referred to young men with a hairstyle like this:

Specifically, the fact that the top of the head is shaved. The female equivalent is 女郎めろう (though my IME utterly refuses to give me those kanji, instead just coughing up “mellow” in romaji with various different spacings and cases).

2 Likes

Cannon:

1 Like

More seriously, though, it feels more like tw*t then b#stard. (not sure who I’m censoring this for :stuck_out_tongue: )

Something that you’d call a group of guys; sports team banter- squad-mentality. Offensive on its own, but with the right intonation it becomes anything from endearing to comrade’y.

Oof. Lee Jordan commentating the Quiddich match fills a solid page of text in my book.

1 Like

Just add the scar, and it’s perfect!

1 Like

Sooo much katakana…

1 Like