ハピネス・Happiness - (Absolute Beginner Book Club Offshoot)

My two cents, take it or leave it: Love having row colors by page number but I find it a bit difficult with the alternating colors for page 6 by row.

Thank you for organizing this and for helping us continue this book club!

1 Like

IMHO, it’s distracting, therefore I usually just randomize the colors in Page Column.

Thanks! The colors are helpful when you are scanning back and forth to the text.

Thanks for organizing this! Right now I like the alternating colors, but if it becomes too much effort to stay on top of that, I think it’s fine without it as well.

Volume 2 thread is up! :tada:

Happy reading everyone! :slightly_smiling_face:

I tweaked the vocab colors a bit so there are still alternating colors, but only the one column is colored by page.

It’s not a matter of the amount of effort, just what makes it easiest to read. Once I’ve set up the conditional formatting, it colors things automatically. Ahh, the magic of spreadsheets!

Now if only I could get it to automatically bold the lines between pages, I think that’d make everybody happy.

7 Likes

Having decided to “read ahead a bit into Chapter 7”, and shortly after switching this to “finishing the entire volume”, I think it will be ok to increase the speed later in this volume.

Chapter 7 is by far the densest in terms of dialogue. From there not only is there less dialogue, but it was also much easier to decipher. So I would say the last 2 chapters can be done in a week each.

Also I feel most people will not be able to keep from finishing the chapter once they start!

3 Likes

Thanks! That’s good to know. It’s hard to judge beforehand how hard a chapter is going to be. I almost thought chapter 6 would be bad when they had the TV on with the news, but I was happily relieved it wasn’t like the news from volume 1.

I’ll send out a poll when we’re mid-chapter 7 to see when people want to speed up.

3 Likes

Yeah, when I read back over it (having read the last 80 pages barely stopping) I noticed there is a fairly text-heavy “news like” bit at the start of chapter 9, but the rest is quite easy reading.

Volume 3 thread is up!

5 Likes

Volume 4 thread is up!

4 Likes

Volume 5 thread is up!

4 Likes

combo breaker :smiley:

4 Likes

Volume 6 thread is up!

Thanks for the combo breaker. :smile:

2 Likes

Time for volume 7!

1 Like

Volume 8 thread is up!

2 Likes

Yay, time to start a new volume!

4 Likes

Last volume, wooo!

6 Likes

Just started the reading, read the first 15 pages of the first volume, and wow, very impressed by the Vocab sheet, it helps a lot that it has the onomatopaes listed! Thanks a lot to all the contributors, from me and from all the readers from the future!

6 Likes

PREPARE TO BE DEAD

1 Like

死ぬ?
それとも
同じになる?

2 Likes